Notices

Who else gets really depressed when you stop drinking?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who else gets really depressed when you stop drinking?

I feel ok when I'm drinking (not necessarily while I'm drinking, but during the day and I function), but when I quit I get very depressed. By the 10th day I am barely moving. Today I'd really just like to stay in bed. My dogs have no food, so I gave them cat food, even though I know I have to go to the store. Even that seems like too much effort. I ate nothing on Monday and really haven't been eating much at all.

So many of you seem all happy when you quit, but I just get more down by the day. It just keeps getting worse. I am committed to staying the course, even if I means I stay in bed every day, until I give this new med a chance to work, if it works.

Who else goes through this?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

Hey Katie,
Sorry to hear you are feeling down. I don't get depressed, but I get really agitated and I have a short temper. Things that don't bug me really start to bug me when I first quit drinking. Hang in there!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went into a depression after I quit drinking, staying in bed alot of the time, barely leaving the house. Finally I went to the doctor when I began feeling suicidal. My meds were re-evaluated and now I am feeling much better.
While I was drinking it was numbing what I was actually feeling. Now I am feeling and I love it.

Hope you begin feeling better soon... :ghug3
Old 01-29-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, both. I am going to force myself to go to the store soon and buy some dog food. They need dog food.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Katie,

It isn't uncommon to have some depression when the drinking stops. I think maybe the brain chemicals are unbalanced and it takes some time to reset. It's really important to eat properly! I started taking some vitamins, especially the B's and it did perk me up a bit. I still use EmergenC, it's in a packet you put in water. It comes in some different flavors too.

I hope you feel better soon.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-29-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, here's where I get into a bit of a problem. My thinking goes like...what would it hurt to have one bottle of wine just to snap out of this, after all, it's been 8 days and then what if I drink only every 10 days until the meds can kick in. Certainly one bottle of wine wouldn't screw things up that much in terms of brain chemisty. I have to keep being somewhat productive. That is how my thinking goes. Now I am off to the store for dog food only.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

If, it's any help to you, I went thru 2 years before the fog lifted

I kept going to meetings, prayed a lot and lo and behold, the miracle did occur

i find it best to help others. This takes the focus off you and makes you feel better in the process.

I go thru seasonal depression. Cabin fever in bad wintery days. That can also be said as well when, the temps soar in the summer and tempers flare.

I had to believe in step 2 for my sanity to come back to me.

How long did you drink? How much did you drink?

This is my opinion but, I think that's why people go back out early in recovery. It's easier to stay drunk and numb then to experience emotional highs and lows.

It does get better or, I wouldn't be posting this. I'd be thinking about the drink I was going to have after work
Old 01-29-2009, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

lol

does your dog like cat food

My cats hated it when, I tried to give them dog food
Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
lol

does your dog like cat food

My cats hated it when, I tried to give them dog food
Yes, cat food is richer than dog food, so dogs like it

My cat won't eat dog food either.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

lol

thanks for the chuckle
Old 01-29-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
If, it's any help to you, I went thru 2 years before the fog lifted

I kept going to meetings, prayed a lot and lo and behold, the miracle did occur

i find it best to help others. This takes the focus off you and makes you feel better in the process.

I go thru seasonal depression. Cabin fever in bad wintery days. That can also be said as well when, the temps soar in the summer and tempers flare.

I had to believe in step 2 for my sanity to come back to me.

How long did you drink? How much did you drink?

This is my opinion but, I think that's why people go back out early in recovery. It's easier to stay drunk and numb then to experience emotional highs and lows.

It does get better or, I wouldn't be posting this. I'd be thinking about the drink I was going to have after work
Yeah, volunteering is what saved my butt a few years back. I was going through a manic phase and it got me out of the house. Got to the point where the mailman was carrying up a crate of costume jewelry and I was so embarrassed I told him I was starting a small business

Oh, been drinking for 35 years with the exception of a couple of years long time ago and then periods where the longest I ever went was 100 or so days. I get SAD too.

Unfortunately, I don't do 12 step stuff. I just got off the phone with a treatment center but they are 12 step based.

For me, if I had the highs I think I could handle the not drinking (there would be high to look forward to), but I've been Dx'd as a bipolar depressive, mixed states. Now I'm off to the store for real. Thanks all for your helpful replies. :ghug
Old 01-29-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Katie,

I think alcohol doesn't allow the antidepressant meds to work properly. And that drinking and taking meds can be dangerous. Please give your body some time to heal. I know that one bottle always led to another one for me.

You might ask your doctor about herbs that would help you feel better right away and not conflict with your medicine. The vitamins helped me a lot in early recovery.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-29-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I've experience the same thing a bit Katie. Before I quit I would look forward to the drinks when I got home, so I knew it was coming. Now I know I have to decide on an hourly basis that I'm not gonna drink when I get home, that in itself is a bit depressing, not having that crutch to cling to.

Makes me have to deal with all the feelings, weaknesses, etc. I have instead of just focusing on the booze I'm gonna numb it with. Makes it harder in some ways.

I'm waiting for the pay off. Already have some positives though, I sleep better now at night, and feel better in the morning. Hopefully the other wierd things that are happening to me will go away sooner than later.

On day 10.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I haven't been depressed Katie, I've been ANGRY.

Not about not being able to drink but about my mom dying 4 years ago and the way my ex treated me and about having to clean the house and having a day job and comedy and why do I have to work a million hours a week and not have any days off?! (picture a expletive cloud over my head)

Hell last night I was at show and I didn't want to drink but I was mad at the audience and I don't know why. They laughed, they were very cool, I got a lot of complements so on and so forth but I was just PISSED.

So I get it. I've also ironically been sick for a month. Cold, Bronchitis and now the flu. I believe that I was suppressing my immune system and my emotions for years. Now I have to clear all of that build up and hopefully be better on the other side of it.

Although I do have the thought about once a day that I want to drink. It's not really true and everyday I don't' is another day I feel really good. But i totally feel where you are coming from.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Do you belive in God??

I was just talking to a friend of mine outside my office. He'd stop drinking a little bit before i did. He didn't use the AA program but, he's got a firm belief in God that, helped him in to stop drinking.

I needed a support group just to keep me from being around people that drank. I've got friends in AA that, share the same interests as me that makes it a lot easier to stay sober.

One word of advice I can suggest, be silly. laughter is the best medicine
There's a reason Bob Hope, George Burns and many comics live to a long age

What brings you joy in life? Go see a funny movie or rent one. Get together with a friend that, you laugh with

And play this a lot

YouTube - Humorous Scenes 1
Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Katie, I have bipolar II. It was misserable when I first stopped drinking, but with the therapy and med changes, things are looking up.

BTW - All my dogs will eat catfood, the beagle will eat anything.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Hi Katie
I got depressed too and still am. I have better days than others.
As for staying in bed and not wanting to do anything. I felt like that too. Still do.
Someone on here said to me that I needed to do things ANYTHING to keep busy. BUT i also needed to take care of me and do things when i was ready.
I wrote a list of things i need to do and i wont lie, i haven't done half of then but im making my way through the list slowly (very slowly).
Confession - Im typing this and my xmas tree is still up behind me (small tree). It's on my list but i'm not up to it yet. It's not that important.
I'm more important.
Your more important.
Take time and as i was told........ Be gentle with yourself

Be well
Old 01-29-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Katie,

Yes, feed your dogs and feed yourself.

You'll be surprised how you start to feel better when you eat well.

And, volunteering not only saved my butt when I stopped drinking, it changed my life.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by louis View Post
Hi Katie
Im typing this and my xmas tree is still up behind me (small tree). It's on my list but i'm not up to it yet. It's not that important.
I'm more important.
Your more important.
Take time and as i was told........ Be gentle with yourself

Be well
Well, leave that tree up all year save yourself having to decorate it next year
Old 01-29-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
So many of you seem all happy when you quit, but I just get more down by the day.
The vast majority of hard & hard core drinkers go through what you're going through, Katie! At least that's what I've discovered personally. I think I found a life-line early on this time with getting into the AA recovery process and getting a sponsor that I trust and feel "safe" with.... additionally this forum has been so helpful! It seems were "all alone" in those depressed feelings, but we're not! Anxiety, lonliness, fear, worry, racing thoughts, shame, guilt, remorse etc., etc.... are so very typical for us!

My suggestion, and it's only a suggestion is to make a list of things you "need" from the store ie: dog food, etc. Get what you need to last through the weekend (weekends are hard for most) and that way you'll have that accomplished and the need to get out of the house to get something (like on a Fri or Sat evening) won't be neccessay -- and temptation won't be in your face at the store.

The GF you previously spoke of... is she an alkie/addict in recovery? Is there anyone that could come over when you're up to a visit that could play with you and keep you company? How about taking those doggies out for a little walk?

Did you find your necklace?

Thinking of you today, Katie!