Notices

Super Bowl Help

Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Super Bowl Help

I've noticed lots of you are worried about drinking during the Super Bowl.....myself included. I leave today to GO to the Super Bowl....YIKES!!! It's a business trip and luckily the customers we are taking aren't big partiers, but still, it's going to be soooooooooooo hard.

What is your plan to "not" drink? Any tips for me while traveling to Tampa?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

I'm sorry I don't have any tips. I plan on watching the game at home (and checking in here) so hopefully that does the trick (maybe you can check in with us?). You are so lucky to be heading to Tampa...that sounds awesome. I just wanted to say you can do it and enjoy your trip!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm actually throwing a small Super Bowl party which I've had in the works for a couple of months. Almost everyone there will be drinking, but I simply won't be one of them. It's a big test for me that I know I'm ready for.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hanging out with people that don't drink, in a house with no booze. I'll eat too much I'm sure.

I drink alone almost always, so before I would get sauced and then go to someones get together. Like I said most of the folks I hang around don't drink much if at all.

It would be too hard for me to be around people drinking right now, hard enough when I'm by myself.

Be careful, and take care. Just enjoy the game.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

First of all, you are the luckiest person in the world!!!!!!!!!!! You will like Tampa stadium, it's cool.
Wow, that is tough. I am pretty new at this and you have probably seen some of my posts but I use the excuse that I am on a diet. You could even say you are having some blood sugar level problems. It's not like you want to start lying all over the place, it's just I personally just don't want to get into with anyone. And people rarely question stuff like that.....It will be hard, very hard. You can do it though! Remember all you have gone thru thus far. I keep thinking how uncomfortable the detox was. I don't want to feel that way again.

I am going to a friend's house who does not drink. It will be a safe haven for me.

Just think if you start drinking at the game....you will probably feel guilty, and then can you really enjoy yourself? Think how PROUD you would be if you don't? And we will sing your praises when you get back! Promise!!!

You will be in my prayers Sunday. Stand firm my friend!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Damn WB,
thats so awesome, THE FRICKIN SUPERBOWL, what a blessing. I'm happy for you (envy). As for tips to remain sober...YOU'LL BE AT THE FRICKIN SUPERBOWL stay sober and take it all in.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hubby will be in Vegas this weekend, in my old life this was a one way ticket to a weekend full of drunkeness that I don't remember.

But I don't drink anymore.. period. That's all I need to know, and all I ever need to say. "I don't drink". done!

Hang in there !
Old 01-29-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Just remember that a lot of people have to relapse, destroy their lives, kill themsleves or kill someone else, and/or suffer some VERY negative horrific consequences before they get it through their heads that sobreity comes first and foremost, and that it's not a game where you challenge yourself with alcohol-avoidance situations.

But also remember that YOU don't HAVE to be one of those poor souls unless YOU VOLUNTEER to be one.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your suggestions and support! I love it all!!!!

Yes, I am blessed that my husband has a job with incredible perks. We are taking advantage of every opportunity because when he switches jobs within the company next year.....these perks will not be here. I think being able to remember all the details of the parties we will attend with celebrities and the actual game itself .....is enough to keep me from drinking. I like what "jmsl" said about taking it all in. That I will do! And being drunk in front of customers is not a good idea. So, no alcohol for me. I will be strong!!!!

:praying
Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by Eagles Fan View Post
I'm actually throwing a small Super Bowl party which I've had in the works for a couple of months. Almost everyone there will be drinking, but I simply won't be one of them. It's a big test for me that I know I'm ready for.
I don't want to sound like a party pooper but please make sure none of your guests drink too much and drive.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by weekendbinger View Post
I've noticed lots of you are worried about drinking during the Super Bowl.....myself included. I leave today to GO to the Super Bowl....YIKES!!! It's a business trip and luckily the customers we are taking aren't big partiers, but still, it's going to be soooooooooooo hard.

What is your plan to "not" drink? Any tips for me while traveling to Tampa?

Thats cool that you get to be there, but I can understand how it can be even MORE tempting when you are in the midst of what seems like a sea of others drinking!

I will pray for strenght for you! I will hope that you know you will have to log on here after & let us know how you did. To be honest this is the one place that I know I have to be honest with myself & with people here, If I lie here or to myself I am doing myself nothing but harm, and might as well not even pretend that I want to get well.

Just know you will have SR on your shoulder, and we will be waiting to hear how you held up. We are all in the same boat, so even if you think you are "the only one not drinking" That is not true at all, all your friends here will be sober! & heck we'll even be able to remember all the funny commercials the next day!

Hang tough! I have asked my husband not to drink that day & he agreeded, today I ask my sister if she can do that - lets hope!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
I don't want to sound like a party pooper but please make sure none of your guests drink too much and drive.
I've got that covered already. Nobody that is drinking will be driving to or from my house.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Whenever I see someone drink I don't think of it is an alcoholic drink for me. I see it as a bottle filled with (loss of XYZ and negative emotions) so when I see a drink and my "idiot brain" says "Hey, let's just have one." I respond to myself "I am not going to go drink an insta' bottle of sorrow and lack of control thrown in with the next however many years of my life I give it before I finally come out of the wreakage (sp) for an assessment." If someone handed me a magic pill filled with everything that one drink would give me. Would I take it... No way.

I hope you have a great time! I am originally from AZ and can't believe the Cardinals are playing.

Last edited by Sara9009; 01-29-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: sp
Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great that you are getting a plan together. I hear it said that the relapse does not happen at the moment you take a drink but during the time leading up to that moment. This stays with me because I feel like I have more control over the time leading up to..

Anyway, I just got through 2 tough nights with the help and advice from this forum. What worked for me was getting a drink into my hands right away - and keeping a drink full in front of me (whatever you like that is not alcohol).. Then I found myself thinking about a few particular SR friends who had given me particular support - thought about talking to them after the night saying "I made it" rather than "oops".

WOW, have a great time - that is awesome. Maybe Superbowls will become significant to you in years to come - significant in a sobriety way. GO FOR IT and have a great time! You'll probably enjoy the game more sober!
Old 01-29-2009, 01:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I think you've gotten some really great input so far!! Flutter and jsm said the essence of what I was going to say... and then you cemented the deal yourself with the comment that it's not smart to be drunk in front of customers!

But mainly -- it's the freaking Superbowl!!! For most people that's not even a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don't waste it being wasted!

I took my son to the Titans v. Ravens playoff game. Yes, before we went, it was nagging in the back of my mind about what it would be like to be at such a huge NFL game and not have a beer. Then I found out the Titans have a "designated driver" program where you can go register at a customer service booth and get coupons for free soft drinks! How cool is that?!? And then I realized that I'd actually be able to REMEMBER the game and discuss it with my son after it was over if I stayed sober!

It was awesome.

Oh, and as a casual reminder during the game... the guy next to me was drunk and kicked over my $7 Diet Coke when I had only taken 1 sip out of it. Thankfully he apologized and bought me a new one, but still...!!! HELLO!! SO glad I was sober.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

I am a real simple person so please dont take this wrong way.
I am about to hit 60 days sober tomorrow. The best advice I have for not drinking during the super bowl or anytime is--dont buy a drink-dont accept a drink--dont pick up a drink and put it up to your mouth and dont pour it in your mouth.
You will go to bed every night sober if you follow those very simple steps.
I know, I know its easier said than done but it is working for me.

Good luck everyone.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I just thought of the best idea yet, take me and I will keep an eye on you!