Detaching with Love

Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Detaching with Love

I know this was a reading for yesterday but it was way too good not to share today - I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did!
HUGS,
Rita

Sharing Experience Strength & Hope in Nar-Anon

Detaching with Love January 28

Living with an active addict is stressful and I constantly feel as though I am walking on eggs. When I harbor a mistaken sense of responsibility for someone else’s well-being and safety, when my sanity and well-being is adversely affected by the actions of the addict, when I find myself worrying and losing sleep because the addict is out partying, when I worry that I may say the wrong thing and “cause” him to go back out, then I am not practicing detachment.

By detaching with love, I can stop feeling responsible for the addict’s well-being and behavior. I have learned in Nar-Anon that addiction is a disease. It is not my fault! I didn’t cause it, I can’t control it and I can’t cure it. I have discovered by practicing detachment that I can relieve myself of the mistaken guilt and responsibility I felt.

Walking on eggs always results in broken eggs. Living with an addict causes stress. I think of detachment as a tight rope and the addict as eggs. I use the right rope to walk above the eggs. I practice walking on the rope so I will not fall and break the eggs, but walking a tight rope is not easy; it takes a lot of practice. At first, I am sure to make mistakes, to slip and break a few eggs. However, if I practice and learn to walk the rope, I will eventually be able to achieve my goal. The same is true for detachment.

Thought for Today: Detachment is one tool I can use to separate myself from the chaos, fear and mistaken responsibility that result from living with active addiction.

“Feel the feeling. Choose the behavior.” ~ Charles Rumberg
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great reminder!!! I love the SESH book.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Yeah -me too - I wish we had an Nar-Anon meeting in our area - but my Al-Anon meeting is a good one so I'll keep going to it and just read my Nar-Anon material outside the meeting!!