Language of Letting Go - Jan. 29 - Going To Meetings

Old 01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - Jan. 29 - Going To Meetings

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Going to Meetings

I am still amazed, after years of recovering, at how easily I can begin to talk myself out of attending meetings. I am also still amazed at how good I feel when I go.
--Anonymous

We don't have to stay stuck in our misery and discomfort. An immediate option is available that will help us feel better: go to a meeting, a Twelve Step support group.

Why resist what can help us feel better? Why sit in our obsession or depression when attending a meeting - even if that means an extra meeting - would help us feel better?

Too busy?
There are 168 hours in each week. Taking one or two hours a week for a meeting can maximize the potential of the remaining 166 hours. If we get into our "codependent stuff," we can easily spend a majority of our waking hours obsessing, sitting and doing nothing, lying in bed and feeling depressed, or chasing after other people's needs. Not taking those two hours for a meeting can cause us to waste the remaining hours.

Too tired?
There is nothing as invigorating as getting back on track. Going to a meeting can accomplish that.

Today, I will remember that going to meetings helps.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

"Go to meetings, get a sponsor, learn to work the 12 Steps of Recovery"...many times I had to hear this before I finally paid attention not just to the words, but to the recovery of the person who offered me this suggestion. I wanted what she had.

Going to meetings was the turning point for me, it was both my point of surrender, when I arrived exhausted and sad...and it was also a safe place where I knew I was among friends who understood me and who would walk with me gently on my journey until I was well again.

Meetings saved my life, literally. And today, no matter how many different ways I practice my recovery in all my affairs, it will always be meetings that allowed me to build a foundation of faith on which the rest of my recovery could rest.

Why not give meetings a try? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain....and you're worth it.

Hugs
Old 01-29-2009, 03:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

:ghug2
Old 01-29-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ann, I know that meetings saved my life. I know that I was headed for a nervous breakdown.....it was only moments away. I Thank God every day for guiding me to my first meeting, and second, and third, til I knew that I could not live without them....and there I found strength and a calm that I felt nowhere else. Now, 9 years later, I still attend both for me and that newcomer who just may be there tonight.

One of our members, always tells the newcomer, it's the cheapest and most beneficial therapy you'll ever find

Hugs,
Chris
Old 01-29-2009, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I SO needed this... It's been a year since I went to a meeting and I'm going Saturday. I refuse to talk myself out of it this time!! I don't know how I keep expecting my son to get help, when I don't help myself!! I know... I keep focusing on the wrong person...