Notices

What if anything "good" came out of your addiction

Old 01-28-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What if anything "good" came out of your addiction

I know..Sounds stupid right?
Not to me.
My addiction took me to places that would make the average person cringe in horror.
But with all that madness. Some good did come out of it.

I learned alot about myself and life through my addiction.
I was brought up very spoiled and never had to want for anything.
That wasnt so good. Thats what made being an addict so easy most of the time for me.
But eventually I did have to fend for myself. And it was hard at first. I wanted to roll into a ball and die. But I survived. And I learned how to survive with nothing.
I learned about people. The good..the bad..the ugly.
I learned to look past the outside of people and take people for who they were inside. Where their hearts were. You learn that fast in the street.
I learned that nothing is hopeless. And nothing is impossible.
I learned alot of valuable knowledge as well. Stuff you could never learn in a book or a classroom. More like common sense and street knowledge. That does come in very handy in everyday "normal" living. Hell I locked my keys in the car a few weeks ago. Guess how I got em out. Good ole street knowledge. LOL
So even though my addiction was like living in a miserable hell for alot of years. I cant say it was all bad. I learned alot of hard lessons I otherwise wouldnt have. Nothing beats first hand experience in my opinion.
And most of all. I learned that there is a better way to live. I can put those crazy skills that I learned to good use now in my recovery.
I learned I am a fighter. A survivor. And I will always be that.

Anyone else learn anything from their addiction?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

I "ditto" what you've written! I certainly couldn't have said it any better/clearer! I wouldn't have the heart that I have if I didn't go through all the hell to break-it time and time again! I'm grateful for sobriety today, and pray in time I can embrace the past and not run & hide from it in shame. I'm learning each day now. I'm learning through all of you and my HP. I'm blessed to be a recovering alcoholic!

Old 01-28-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

How about if people remember how you were when you did drink alot and when you quit they realize the good side in you for a change.

That could be considered a good thing that comes out of an addiction?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Phaleron - I guess the good now is that you're sober! That's definitely something that's worthwhile!

My own experience has always been mixed. Sometimes nasty. Sometimes amazing. I suppose the one thing that I've always tried to get out of life regardless was that I wanted to learn more, grow more, become better.

Now that I am finally quitting drinking, I can only see things improving.

I find it's good to be as thankful as much as possible.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a really good question although for me I'm not sure I can call my alcoholism an 'addiction'. One good thing that came from going to that bar so much was alot of really great people that I met there. I learned very quickly though, that they -and I- can turn pretty unpleasant too. I'm really grateful though, that I can still think of those people fondly and they will always be in my heart, even though I chose to stop going there.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I've learned that there are so many out there that have a problem like this.

It's funny....when I was little, I was so judgemental of alcoholics...believed all of the stereotypes. Look at me. Look at what I've become.

I've learned this can happen to ANYONE. No one is immune. The wrong circumstances at the wrong time is all it takes.

Experiencing this forces me to focus at the individual rather than looking at someone as part of a group.

It's too easy for the public to place addictive-type folks in the same category...but all of us are a part of the public and we all come from different places and situations. We can't be pigeonholed into a negative ideal. Addicts are people, too.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dismember

I think it was a positive turning point in my recovery when I was able to see there was some good in my alcohol use. I think it helped me get a more rational outlook on my use, which I hope is going to prevent a relapse. I don't believe that any one takes drugs out of sheer chemical dependency. For me alcohol was effective at beating insomnia, it did (only temporarily) quell anxiety, and it did give a short-term good feeling.

At first I found it impossible to look at alcohol as being anything but 100% pure evil in my life. I don't know, maybe that's a necessary outlook when you're just drying out. Now I'm more of the perspective, "yeah, it did *some* good but it did a whole lot more bad." It gives me the chance now to look for healthy, positive substitutes for what I was getting out of the bottle.

Yeah, I think being able to have some grey area is crucial.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

SS..Ladita and Bam all bring up great points for me.

Yes Phal..I would say being sober is a very good thing.

I learned a great deal of humility and gratefulness in my addiction. As weird as that sounds. When your in the street without a pot to **** in and looking like you just rolled out of a ditch. It will definately humble you fast. For me anyway. And made grateful for a home and a family that alot of people I knew out there didnt have. I chose to look like I didnt have anyone or anything. To see me running around out there. You would think I was lost without anyone in the world. But I had a beautiful home and an awesome family who loved me. Why I chose to go hang out in the street like I did. I couldnt tell you. I would always think to myself as soon as I walked in the door of my house. "It feels so good to be home. Why would I want to leave and go be out there like that.?" And this warm feeling of comfort would just flow through me. But addiction made me run like a freak in the street. LOL too bad I wasnt a freak on a leash to my home. LOL

Gotta go to work..I have more on this tiopic when I get home.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I have a natural tendency to say that nothing good could have come of an addiction. But that is a bit of a defense mechanism -- if I identify anything good or positive in that situation, it might offer my crazy mind an opening to go back their. But, I did learn some things. I learned about the crazy horrors of addiction, and it gave me a real empathy for others battling all forms of addiction. And I gained a greater appreciation for all the gifts in my life -- particularly since they so easily all could have been lost if I had continued down that road. So, I guess a greater empathy and heightened appreciation for all that I have in my life are some real positives that have come from addiction.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree that some can have positive things come from addiction. Trials do make people stronger, if it doesn't kill them first.

My abuse has been covering up character flaws, percieved weaknesses, and pain that I haven't dealt with. Realizing I have to quit drinking before I kill myself has/will make me deal with the things in my life I have been covering up with booze. If I don't become a stronger, better, more balanced person....I'll probably turn back to what I have used to fill some voids in my life.

I think getting to the point where I feel I NEED to quit covering up, will make me deal with the things that are lacking in my life instead of medicating to get thru.

I'll end up eventually better for it. Wish I could have taken another path to grow as a person, but some of us have to come to a breaking point before we can move to the next level of "being all we can be" so to speak.

My 02
Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

its made me the strong person I am today , not that Id ever wish to repeat the past , But IMO , If it wasnt for them days , I dont think I would be who I am today , A person who is stable, and able to respond to every day lifes dealing with open mind , and heart . And remember that its not as bad as it appears , after all look where I used to be , I am humbled because of my past , Endzy
Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i can look on this in a positive way too, but at the same time i can safely say nothing good came out of my addicition that would not have been even better without it.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
i can look on this in a positive way too, but at the same time i can safely say nothing good came out of my addicition that would not have been even better without it.
Amen
Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was always a compassionate person, but thanks to my addiction and SR (especially the friends/family forum), I am even more compassionate. I cannot look at an addict, today, without thinking of the family members I know who are struggling, just as much as the addict.

I am stronger today. Like ((Trish)), I lived in a pretty rough area when I was using. I was beaten up, strangled. I chose to be homeless. I could have come home, at any time, but I had to be clean, and I didn't want to, at that time. I survived jail, and a diversion center. I went from a career making $40/hour, to now waiting tables for $3/hour plus tips.

In the past, I would have been sitting around, having a big ole pity party. Today, I feel rich with blessings. I wouldn't feel this way if it weren't for what I've been through. I had to lose my comfy little lifestyle, to learn what really matters in life and what to be grateful for.

Good post, ((Trish))!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy