Notices

Did something I shouldn't - no not drink.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did something I shouldn't - no not drink.

I had a very stressful afternoon/evening, I mean the kind that a week ago would have sent me drinking right up until bed time.

Although I was very tempted I knew I didn't want to start over & give up the week I worked hard for. Not to mention have to admit to all of you that I couldn't resist.

I was feeling so anxious, to the point my chest was hurting. Normally I would have made a drink, I thought I would go outside get some (COLD) air & shovel the new snow. Well when I was out there I saw my secert pack of smokes behind the radio. I just couldn't say no. I lit one up, shoveled, breathed slower & tried to make the chest tightness go away.

I know I may be trading one addiction for another. I HOPE not!
I used to smoke 3-4 a day un until couple yrs ago. Then quit until this fall, when I went back to one, every few days if that.

But I am wondering if I going to find myself turning towards smoking instead. Which I don't want to do either! Granted I won't wake up with a hang over from smoking 1-2 a day. But its not a habbit I want to get back into full force!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

ToABetterMe, good for you for not drinking!
If it were me, I would deal with one vice at a time..
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

the first time I went to rehab I started smoking quite a bit, before I would only smoke while drinking. The smoking ceased after a couple of months.
This last time I quit drinking I quit smoking too.

I suggest if you can fight the urge to smoke, don't smoke. Because unlike me many people become addicted quite easily.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you didn't drink!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Having a smoke is a lot better than having a drink because with a drink you wouldn't have stopped at one. Good job as I know it must have been difficult.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on not taking that drink. Going outside and getting some fresh air was a great idea. I find myself taking more deep breaths lately when the stress builds up. It definitely helps. Don't know what to tell you about those cigs. When I occasionally smoke, I feel bad the next day. It's up to you.....just like the drinking!!!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Give up the smoking! Quit it while you are still only smoking a few/day. You will feel much better, I promise. Dont drink, dont smoke. Just my opinion.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Glad you didnt drink. I would give anything to be able to quit smoking tho. I get in such a panic just thinking about it.
Dont start again if you can help it.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

If you pick it up again it will be one more enemy to contend with......and we all know the battle to quit is very uncomfortable. Try a walk next time? Or jam to some music!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I will admit I had 2 tonight, but I will try to make that my limit for the week.
I'm glad I didn't drink. I eventually just came in the 2nd time & made a bowl of popcorn & watched AI with the kids. Now have everyone in bed, the hubby is...you guessed it in the basement playing XBox. Thought I would stop in & say thanks for being here, in all honesty I would have drank today if I didn't have this place that I would have to come & be truthful at.

Up side with all my anxiety I got my whole upstairs cleaned & vacummed today!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

Wanna come over and clean mine? LOL.......
Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Toabetterme...
Things were a little hectic around me when I first posted, and I would have like to elaborate on what I Said..
When I was in recovery, my whole focus was around my DOC, it took everything I had to work my program initially, until I had a little recovery under my belt..
everyone is a little bit different..and when I read your post, I felt, that you don't seem like a smoker's smoker...if having a cigarette or two, the odd time, will help you in the early days of your recovery to remain sober, then to me it is the lesser of two evils..if you were a pack a day smoker and you quit, that to me would be a different story..
based on what you were sharing, I would have done what you did and not beat myself up about it..
you can only do your very best and leave the rest...we pick our battles when the stakes are high...
and you did well..

Last edited by grateful2b; 01-28-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ViciousCycle View Post
Wanna come over and clean mine? LOL.......
Maybe if you didn't live 1000 miles away!