Notices

I'm angry, dejected and I want a drink

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm angry, dejected and I want a drink

You know why? Cause alcoholics want to inflict pain on others. This is the garbage I had to sit and listen to tonight at a depression support group, coming from a licensed therapist who has spent wayyyyyy too much time in Alanon and brings her personal crap into the picture - her alcoholic mother and other family members. Her rationale? They weren't drunk 24/7.

I hadn't been to that group since before March, but my therapist suggested I go there and my GF convinced me to go. She stood up for me though, bless her heart. She took on the therapist, with me in mind.

At any rate, with support like that, I just feel like a drink. Not sayin' I will, but I am not happy right now. I feel bad enough as it is without being shamed by some therapist.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

To start this out, I'd like to say congratulations Katie. I do believe today marks one week for you. Let's all hear it for Katie you guys.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KenL View Post
To start this out, I'd like to say congratulations Katie. I do believe today marks one week for you. Let's all hear it for Katie you guys.
Aww, thank you so much. That is very sweet of you. :ghug3
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Katie congrats on 1 week! That is great!

I know it is hard but try to focus on your recovery and when things such as this happens. Others venting what they have gone through is what happens during groups like that. It can be hard to stomach and a lot of emotions kick up! Glad that you did not drink! keep up the awesome work!

I know that when I began Al-Anon I vented about all the A's in my life and all the harm they inflicted on me....now that I have been in Al-Anon a long time I have learned that I caused a lot of my own self inflicted pain-and I have compassion for A's because I know about the disease now and know they hurt just like I did! I just picked other things to make me feel better.

We all reach different levels of recovery at different times so try to keep that in mind that this therapist although a therapist could still have a lot of hurt that they might not have been able to work through.

Hang in there your doing great!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

WOO HOO YOU WEEKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't do it girl......it will only bring regret......the heck with that shrink!!! We love ya!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes! Congratulations on one week Katie! Way to go!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rella927 View Post
Katie congrats on 1 week! That is great!

I know it is hard but try to focus on your recovery and when things such as this happens. Others venting what they have gone through is what happens during groups like that. It can be hard to stomach and a lot of emotions kick up! Glad that you did not drink! keep up the awesome work!

I know that when I began Al-Anon I vented about all the A's in my life and all the harm they inflicted on me....now that I have been in Al-Anon a long time I have learned that I caused a lot of my own self inflicted pain-and I have compassion for A's because I know about the disease now and know they hurt just like I did! I just picked other things to make me feel better.

We all reach different levels of recovery at different times so try to keep that in mind that this therapist although a therapist could still have a lot of hurt that they might not have been able to work through.

Hang in there your doing great!
Thank you very much. And if I don't say so, she's a hypocrite. She does therapy at a catholic church, and yet showed my GF (the one who stood up for me tonight) pics of men's anatomy (if you know what I mean) on the church computer!!!! I am really angry right now.

As they say in AA "some are sicker than others."
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Yes some are sicker than others....that is where we work on compassion.

It will come...I know that you are angry right now but "this too shall pass" If you do not
have to go back to that particular group then I would suggest not too. Find another one
if you can!

Breathe.....and know that you will be the better person by focusing on your recovery not theirs!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It's okay to be angry. You gotta learn how to do that sober.

It's not okay to drink....that solves not one damn thing.

Hang in there, Katy!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rella927 View Post
Yes some are sicker than others....that is where we work on compassion.

It will come...I know that you are angry right now but "this too shall pass" If you do not
have to go back to that particular group then I would suggest not too. Find another one
if you can!

Breathe.....and know that you will be the better person by focusing on your recovery not theirs!
Thank you, but I am having a hard time being compassionate right now, as she is a therapist and it WAS a depression support group. What BS. I won't go back to that group.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

File a complaint! Write the letter tonight! It will get it out of you! We can figure what board to send it to tomorrow!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Good for you, Katie

One week . . . not knocking out the "speaker," . . . sharing your feelings in a healthy way . . . not drinking tonight . . .

YOU GO GIRL!!

I about fell over when I read the part about the pics on in Church computer. WOW! I think that woman needs a therapist!

I am really proud of you for not picking up. You have been coming on here, sharing what's going on with you and that's a tremendous accomplishment.

Wishing you a peaceful and restful nights sleep,
Judy

The Church Computer? Are you serious?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Katie. From all you've said she sounds like a 'therapist' to avoid.
Stay strong

D
Old 01-27-2009, 08:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by serenityqueen View Post
Good for you, Katie

One week . . . not knocking out the "speaker," . . . sharing your feelings in a healthy way . . . not drinking tonight . . .

YOU GO GIRL!!

I about fell over when I read the part about the pics on in Church computer. WOW! I think that woman needs a therapist!

I am really proud of you for not picking up. You have been coming on here, sharing what's going on with you and that's a tremendous accomplishment.

Wishing you a peaceful and restful nights sleep,
Judy

The Church Computer? Are you serious?
Yup, church computer, and then she told my GF about getting a Brazilian bikini wax. And she's 60 on Adult Friend Finders. And this, as she's inviting the power of the Holy Spirit into our group tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Golly gee, I sure hope she doesn't read this board or I am gonna get my GF in BIG trouble and she didn't want me to say anything. Oh well, she would be on some other forum bashing alcoholics, if she were on any. Thanks so much for your post and listening
Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Finding the right therapist is like finding the right partner, the right sponsor, the right mentors... Sometimes it just takes a couple of different tries. I went through about 6 different noodleheads until I found the coolest shrink in the world, he's the one that was the number one supporter and possibly the inspiration for me to get sober. I've been working with him for almost two years now.

So scr*w that therapist, ditch her and try another one. But don't let some numbskull mess with your sobriety.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

As usual SR saves me I wouldn't be able to do this without all of you...:ghug
Old 01-27-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
As usual SR saves me I wouldn't be able to do this without all of you...:ghug
I can't speak for everyone, but I know I couldn't do it without YOU, and everyone else on this site. Thank you for being here!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Blame, shame I know your name..

Don't you hate it? I despise it!

Let the anger go through you...it will come in waves, and

may last awhile if you keep replaying the meeting in your head.

Just don't drink.

And don't go back.

You will be able to let go of it soon, once the anger subsides ...

We're with you Katie!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
IO Storm

P.S. Katie

As I see it? This is her problem, not yours.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IO Storm View Post
P.S. Katie

As I see it? This is her problem, not yours.
Thanks, I agree and I'm calmed down now, thanks to all of YOU!!!! I did not pick up a drink, woohoo. Day 8 here I come!!!!!!!!!!