need new perspective

Old 01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

need new perspective

I left my AH 3 months ago. I moved to another town, got a new job, and am doing surprisingly well. He comes down every weekend or two to see us, then goes back to the house.

I dropped the bomb this weekend and said I have no intentions of allowing him to move back in with DD and me. He (of course) throws every manipulation tactic at me, along with a LONG list of excuses, blah, blah, blah.

He asked if there was a chance we could work things out and I said Yes, but the likely hood of this happening is nearly impossible. He said to let him know when/if I throw the towel in.

Is this another manipulation? He's just trying to buy more time isn't he?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

justaboutus,

Congrats on all the tough changes you've made.

Although I'm super-sensitive to manipulation, and this may be it, what I see is him reacting to your statement that "Yes", there's a chance.

Does he KNOW that the likelihood you'd take him back is one in a million? And if he doesn't, why not just tell him? Under what circumstances would you accept him back? Were you clear about your boundaries/needs/limits, or did you just leave it at "maybe, and I'll let you know when" ? Many men -- many PEOPLE, including myself (a non-A) - don't operate well in a gray state like that. They want to know
1) yes, there's a possibility, and to get there I need to work toward specific, measurable lifestyle change X
or
2) no, the door is closed, and I need to accept this new reality.

You may not know these answers. But that appears to me what he's trying to clarify, so that he can either move toward doing something, or move on with his life. What do you want him to do?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

What could he do, justaboutus?
If you were to give him a list, what would it look like?

It was important for me to really sit down and think about what I would need to SEE in order to feel safe living with my husband again.

In my case, I would need to see at least 6 months of sobriety and active participation in a recovery network of his choosing before I would even consider living with my AH again.

It is OK to have needs. It's OK to require signs of progress. It's OK to voice these needs - but repeatedly stating them, over and over and over - while he continues to drink alcoholically and holds off on making any real changes, well, that's just crazy-making.

Think it through.
Say it once (and try not to say it in anger ).
Watch his actions for a period of time.
Proceed accordingly.

That's the best I've got. I do know that it feeds my ego (in a big, bad way) to have AH groveling about what he can do to keep me. I think that ego trip kept me talking for a long time - when I would have benefited MUCH more from watching and doing.

Take care.
-TC
Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What can you do, though, if you spell out what you need before you can continue to live with an A and they don't listen? All they hear is you saying yes, we can be together.

I ask this because, there are times when I won't even throw a bone to my ABF when he wants something. I know that when I try to introduce a caveat, he's already tuned me out.

He wants _____. If I say yes, but ____. He nevers hears the but, just the yes and goes about his merry way completely ignoring what he needs to do to get what he wants. In the end I have to compromise or just keep pushing till he gets it right.

If I just flatly say no, he'll pout and complain and try everything he can to get me to change my mind. Sometimes he stumbles upon what was holding me back, and I can then say yes.

When the time comes, I hope to know what I will need from him in order to stay with him. When/If he asks if I'll ever return to him, will he even hear me beyond yes?

Alice
Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Getting better every day!

Originally Posted by ItsmeAlice View Post
I ask this because, there are times when I won't even throw a bone to my ABF when he wants something. I know that when I try to introduce a caveat, he's already tuned me out.
This may be too simplistic, but have you ever tried saying it different? When he says "can I have xyz" instead of saying "Yes, but you need to do abc first" try saying "not until you do abc." I don't know if that would make any difference, but it removes Yes from the statement entirely, as well as the but, making it a stronger statement of what he needs to do....at least it sounds that way to me.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There were dozens of times I told my AH what I needed in order to stay in the marriage. Or, rather, what I thought I needed. It kept changing. First it was something like not drinking so much. Then it was beer only, no hard liquor. Then it was no drinking at all. He always did what I wanted, for a short time (once as long as four months), then slowly went back to the old ways. And he would be angry with me. "I did what you wanted, and you still aren't happy!"

The last time we separated, I simply told him that I needed six months to sort myself out and figure out what I wanted. He asked what he needed to do. I told him I didn't really care what he did for those six months--it was entirely up to him to decide how to proceed. He knew what he needed to do, he just wanted me to take responsibility for it. Instead, I said we will not talk about getting back together until six months has passed. At that time, we can talk and see how we both feel about it.

L
Old 01-27-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

When/If he asks if I'll ever return to him, will he even hear me beyond yes?
I don't say "yes" to my AH very often.
I say "I don't know" a lot.

'Cause I don't know.

Even if my husband did EXACTLY what I asked of him - it still might not be enough.
I like the phrase "necessary but not sufficient."
Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

justaboutus,
See when he asked you if there was a chance of you all working it out and you said Yes it sounds to me like he shut off at that point and then told you to let him know when/if you've thrown in the towel. As though he has no idea there is something he could be doing to make that yes actually happen.

That is the kind of response I've gotten in the past from my ABF, and I'm trying to approach dealing with him in a new way.

I imagine him saying the same thing your AH said, blaming me for never letting anything go and walking out on him, and never do anything to get himself better.

I suppose if I put what I need from him out there as best I can, and he shuts off and won't hear me, then will just have to accept that my leaving will be a permanent end, and as you say the chance of reconcillation at that point with be miniscule.

I read this, and it certainly sounds like I'm still hoping something I say or do will get him to seek recovery. That makes me sad.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I read this, and it certainly sounds like I'm still hoping something I say or do will get him to seek recovery. That makes me sad.
It's really not my place to tell another adult what they should do or not do. Rather, it is my place to decide who I want to share my life with--or not. They have as much right to live their life as they see fit as I do.

Tough pill to swallow, I know.

L
Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It reminds me of that scene in the movie Dumb & Dumber:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

I very well could be married to Lloyd. I think he is shutting off once I say yes.

He does ask what he can do and I've stated them previously to him (it's a bit of a laundry list), so I'm hesitant to go through it again.

Since then, AH called saying he lost his part time job. I knew this was coming. I asked what he was going to do and he talked about resurrecting an old (not profitable) company he owned (so he could still keep his drinking all day self employment ways). I lost it. I was angry. I finally caught myself saying "I need you to..." then I said "No. I take it back. I don't need you to do ANYTHING. I'll handle it one way or another." He knew what I meant. He gave me a few more excuses and some begging. I hung up the phone, disgusted.

So it wasn't my proudest codie moment, but at least i wasn't falling for the manipulation and let him know what was unacceptable.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you should be proud of yourself! Don't minimize the strength it takes to pull away from the vortex created by an A's behavior. I struggle every single day with it!

I was about to tell you that IMO, he is pushing to see how much will take before you will release him or as he put it "throw in the towel." and that then he doesn't have to come down to see you and DD every weekend or so...

BUT there is absolutely no reason to listen to any of it. It doesn't matter what he says or what he does. He could do A, he could do B, little fairies could fly out of his behind, it makes no never mind to you unless you had fairies on your laundry list, right?

Stay strong! You cut the conversation off at a critical moment, and you should be proud of that.

Peace.

Alice
Old 01-27-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

I've been marinating all evening. He knows what I want, he just doesn't think I'm willing to call it quits because I'm not getting it. My problem is enforcing the boundary not setting it. I've never followed up. Now that I am he's all shocked, and rightfully so.

I think what I'm going to do (in a very calm cool collected way) is tell him the chances of us reconciling are slim and I'm not sure he can ever make me happy... which is the truth.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
It is OK to have needs. It's OK to require signs of progress. It's OK to voice these needs - but repeatedly stating them, over and over and over - while he continues to drink alcoholically and holds off on making any real changes, well, that's just crazy-making.
That's just brilliant! I read that and realized that all this time I'm the one feeling guilty for having needs. I've been running myself ragged trying to meet everyone's needs EXCEPT my own. So how is it that you can give yourself permission to have needs and really believe it.....much less voice them?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blessed4x View Post
So how is it that you can give yourself permission to have needs and really believe it.....much less voice them?
For me it was a combination of therapy, meetings, reading and beginning to believe in myself. I'm a people pleaser- born and raised. It's not easy to break old patterns of thinking and doing of and for everyone else. But once I started to the ball kept on rolling. I think most people respect me if I am honest about what I need. It's not intuitive, but once you start, you'll notice it more. It's about building on it daily. It's about working on that small part of me that deserves to be bigger- my self esteem.

The trick- however- is to realize I can have needs and voice them, but that doesn't mean STBXAH (for instance) will validate them. He actually doesn't. When we were together I struggled to get him to understand what I wanted. It didn't occur to me that he may have understood but just didn't want to or couldn't give me what I wanted. Now I have to accept he may not like what I need and ask for/choose to do, but that's ok. I'll get my needs met elsewhere. And BTW- I am "evil" for stating my truths, for being honest about what I want/need. . . so what? Healthy for me is about doing the next right thing, and believing in myself regardless of what anyone else says.

Be prepared- you may rock the boat once you stop paying so much attention to what everyone else wants and start paying attention to yourself!
Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

blessed,
I guess that is what codependency does to us. It makes us forget that we are people with needs and wants too. We become conditioned to put our needs aside because having them and expressing them would not be what an A wants or needs, which is their drug of choice and only their drug of choice.

To overcome this it seems we have no choice but to dig through all the onion layers that we have built over our own wants/needs to find them. To give them a voice we have to pull away from always doing what will "keep the peace" or "keep our A from crashing" and pursue those wants/needs.

It sounds as though justaboutus has dug down and found her wants/needs, but she is still working on pursueing them, which in her case would mean running right over her AH who is trying every bit of quacking he has in him to block her path.

I wonder when I find my wants/needs down there somewhere, and I'm ready to pull out of the station with them if my ABF will tie himself to the tracks or hop on board the train with me.

Alice
Old 01-28-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

My wants/needs have always been there. Typically they're the things I whined, begged, pleaded, AH for. I've always voiced them and AH would say "Okay, but first..." and we'd never get around to my needs. It was always "if you just wait" or "just a bit longer", well I've waited 7 years and I'm done waiting. I can't force him to meet my needs, but I can leave the situation and find someone else that would be happy to meet my needs. Even if I don't find someone else... at least I'm not being emotionally ABUSED on a daily basis.

When I first moved away from AH I started seeing more of my brother. He said that I wasn't as much fun as I once was and I wasn't a badass anymore. This weekend he's been warning people about the 'fire in my eyes' and saying I was saucy. I've felt like Super Woman the past few days. I think I'm getting my old self back.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

"Badass"
"Saucy"
"Super Woman"

Oh yeah

I think that deserves a t-shirt! ooh maybe a cape, too!

Definitely add "Strong" and "Self assured" to your list.

Smile.

Alice
Old 01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

The best way that someone explained to me how to express your needs/wants, etc. was the "broken record" way.

Repeat your statement three times... write it down if you have to and read it straight from the piece of paper... "I will not do "X" because of your drinking. It makes me feel X. I do love you, but this is not negotiatable. I will not do X because..." (or whatever variation of the statement you want to make) and repeat the whole thing once more. After the third time, be finished with the conversation and either hang up the phone (I've said what I have to say and I'm hanging up now) or, stand up and walk away/leave (I've said what I have to say and now I'm leaving). This process leaves no room for barganing, begging, pleading, etc. It makes your statement final and draws a hard line that you are serious and your statement/feelings/thoughts/needs/wants should be taken seriously and until they are, you are not open to discussion or negotiation.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

justaboutus......you really have come a long way! I so appreciate it when you folks who are further along in recovery share your questions/frustrations/road blocks and are willing to have a dialogue. You really gave me some food for thought. I have gotten so lost I couldn't even tell you what my needs are. Having 4 kids in the best of situations would make one susceptible to forgetting their own needs, but add an AH in the mix and it's no wonder.

Baby steps.