Notices

Here's My Story...

Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Here's My Story...

I'm a 23 year old alcoholic...

I started drinking shortly after I turned 18 years old while I was still a senior in highschool. The first time I drank I got drunk off three Orange Smirnoffs...and how much fun I had...

Six months later I ended up getting a weeks suspension from school for bringing alcohol to a school related function. I was required to get an evalution from the school's psychologist and I had her fooled every second of the way.

Once I went to college thats when I started drinking heavily. The last two years of college I would drink on average 5 nights a week. During that time frame I was going through a lot of personal turmoil. My mother just got a divorce from her second husband who was like another father to me. I was dating a guy on/off for almost two years who wasn't good to me. Plus my grandfather died unexpectedly. My father and I went months without talking after this happened.

Once my ex boyfriend and I offically ended things I felt like I had nothing to lose. I thought I could celebrate being single by drinking even more. I just ended up getting into more trouble. As a result I got kicked out of college, lost with my full tutition scholarship with only 7 classes away from my Bachelors.

After I came home from college I tried to put the missing pieces of my life together. I started dating this great guy who tried everything he could in his power to make me quit drinking.

For 6 weeks I stopped drinking and then one night on the impulse I decided to visit some friends of mine. We ended up drinking a lot and I thought I was okay to drive back home. Six miles away from my house during the middle of an ice storm I crashed my car into a guard rail. Drunk. My father ended up getting me and we left the scene of the accident.

I didn't get a DWI that night---but I should have. After that I took it pretty easy for the next six months. My parents were happy that I was with someone that didn't drink or do drugs like other boyfriends of mine. I just wasn't happy with him. I felt like I was being molded into a person I didn't want to be. I just didn't feel a romantic connection with him and I think the reason why I dated him was because I was afraid of facing my fears alone.

A couple months ago he had a enough and decided to end things. Though I was upset I was secretly relieved that I could start doing my own thing again. Thats when I started getting drinking again (my weakness is Goldschlager). Then Saturday night I had a rude awakening.

I started drinking around 9 pm that night...all I did were shots of Goldschlager. By 11 p.m. I drank over half a bottle...another hour passed by and next thing I know I fell off a chair at my mothers house and hit my head on the floor. I remember seeing the blood coming down my face and I just passed out. I hardly remember my friend calling 911...I hardly remember being in the hospital...I thought I was going to die.

After my parents found out what happened they gave me an ultamatium. Seek help or cut contact with them---and I agree. I need to get some help. I want to live my life the way I used too before I started drinking.

Thats my story...

*W*
Old 01-26-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Have you checked out an AA meeting or anything?

This is a wonderful place for support.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have called a couple community recovery centers in my area. One of them already seems to be the better fit and I have an appointment with them this week...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Lil and welcome to SR. This is a great place to get support. I am just starting out too and I also started quitting because of an ultimatum but after a couple of days of reading here and posting I have decided to do it because I want to for myself. It is great that when you come to realize that you are still real young and haven't wasted too many years boozing and hurting the ones that you love and who so obviously love you. Good luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the sweet reply I'm going to my first AA meeting tonight at 8:00...I'm really nervous but I know its the first step to getting myself on the right track...
Old 01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Good job on seeking help. Keep moving in that direction and all will fall where it should.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Lil,
welcome to the class of Jan 09. This place has inspired and encouraged me greatly.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome lil, I'm on Day 5 myself...it ain't easy, but this place helps a lot; if you get the urges (and you will), just come here and start typing/crying...it'll help...
Old 01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Its nice to meet you! And you've come to a special place!
I have been so over whelmed with the people & support here!
This is a place you can be honest & ask anything someone here has been through it. And everyone here shares a common bond, with the hopes of living a better, sober life!

God Bless!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I went to two AA meetings in the past two days. The first one I was really nervous at but I was so surprised at how supportive other AA members were. It was like one big family I wanted to be a part of. I look foward to going to more meetings in the future
Old 01-27-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome lilwhitties, glad to hear you made it to some meetings. Keep coming here, reading and posting and keep going to your meetings, you can do this, and we are here for you.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good job on making a tough decision to change your life.

We're all pro's at the addiction 'game' here. And we are all here for support.

God bless you.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hello lil,

It's good to have you here with us. We'll help you along the way. Just keep coming back and reading and posting. Everything is gonna work it's way out. Just give it time. You're young and you can still get those classes finished up. Keep your hopes up ok?

Old 01-27-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JTinStLouis

welcome to SR

It is a wonderful thing when one can see what and/or where they are at an earlier age, it took me until I was 44 to see and admit that I have a problem. Good for you and just be honest with yourself seems to help with so many things.

JT
Old 01-27-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome. I commend you for stopping the insanity of addiction in your youth...very smart move.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I second this. I had a couple of years not drinking ages 19 to 22 and then went out for 27 years, regretfully (I think I made it to 50 some days a couple few times). Good for you for being here so young. Keep plugging away and you can have a wonderful life!! Post here often and reading the threads is great too! Welcome.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Lil to a great place for support and understanding. I too am glad you found us and made the decision to stop drinking sooner rather than later. Glad you're liking AA and the face to face support they offer.

:ghug3