Notices

New Here

Old 01-25-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Well after 20 years of drinking I have finally come to the realization that I have a problem. Like many I began drinking in college. The pattern of drinking continued for the next twenty years and in the last few has become somewhat excessive. Once a week binge drinking became much more frequent with me consuming several drinks at work only to drive home and finish the evening with a bottle or two of wine.

Last Monday night while snooping on my wifes computer I found several email exchanges between her and another man. At first I was heartbroken passing the blame solely on her, until I sat back and analyzed the situation. My wife was reaching out to someone else for consolation and comfort just as I have done with a bottle.

So here I am, six days with no booze. I am attending my first meeting tomorrow and fighting to save what most important to me in this world, my family and marriage.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Zen
Welcome to SR
and congratulations on your six days!
Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.

Focus on your sobriety and things will work out.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am sorry to hear that your marriage may be in jeapordy.

The peole at SR will help you with the help that you need. Keep coming back and do a lot of reading and posting. It will help you to stay sober if you let it. The main thing is to keep coming back to help others as well as yourself.

I am an alcoholic and I want you to know that you can send me a private message at any time. I will not judge you or shame you. I am here to help you if I can. I am on here just about every day, multiple times. I will get your message, should you send one, and reply to you as soon as I get it. Don't forget, o.k?
Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I hope you stick around. You'll find lots of support and good people here at SR. :ghug :ghug
Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Zen and welcome to the class of Jan 09. I have spent a lot of time viewing this site and posted when I felt led. I thank all who post here...It has helped and encouraged me beyond my expectations and I know it will do the same for you.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi zen...welcome..congrats on 6 days...keep coming...keep reading and post when you need to! i wish you well in your journey...sobriety is awesome!

Lisa
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome. I started here to save my marriage too but now I am here for myself. Good luck. We hope things work out for you.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi

Welcome to SR. It is a great place. Post often through this difficult time.

Is that your car?

Mark
Old 01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Hi Zen,
Welcome here. You will find lots of support and some great people. Stay away from booze and find other things to do to keep yourself busy and not think about it. Make a list of all the things you would rather do than drink. You will be surprised at how many things you have wanted to do over the years but could not because alcohol was keeping you from it. Stay strong and stay on the board. Also, read everything you can get your hands on about alcoholism. It really will help. Good luck and keep your chin up.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

thank you for the warm welcome. it was only recently that i realized I had a problem. over the past several years I drank once a week or so, but when i drank I had one goal...gettin drunk. lying on the floor, eating a cheeseburger, shitting my pants david hasslehoff drunk. that was my goal... however in the last year I have started drinking much more frequently, and drinking excessively on a frequent basis.
so many aspects of my life involve drinking. i guess my first course of action will be removing myself from those situations and seeking a good support group so when I do find myself in one of those situations i can stay strong.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Zen! You've come to a good place for support and understanding. Read and post as you need. There's always someone home any time of the day or night.

Work on your sobriety for your own good and your relationships are bound to improve.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hi

Welcome to SR. It is a great place. Post often through this difficult time.

Is that your car?

Mark
yes mark it is
Old 01-25-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by zen6517 View Post
but when i drank I had one goal...gettin drunk...
i guess my first course of action will be removing myself from those situations and seeking a good support group so when I do find myself in one of those situations i can stay strong.

Hey, friend! Welcome & you're in the right place! A lot of recovering drunks here, or at least trying to!

A good support group has been essential for me, aside from this forum! I can't do sobriety on my own! I need others, just like me, to identify with and to share all the ups and downs, ins and outs with! This forum has been a wonderful jump start for me in early sobriety again! I plan on keeping myself accountable here. Additionally, I am finding AA to be working for me. It offers a "design for living" through the 12-step approach. There's a lot of mixed feelings about AA on this site, but hey... whatever works for you. There's a ton of other resources out there in addition.

I'm so sorry about your marriage troubles! The sooner you can arrest your drinking, addressing it through support... the better you will be in handling the situation emotionally. It sounds like you haven't lost it - yet! The drink is not as important as our loved ones! It's craaazy, however, that we truly are powerless over that 1st drink because we don't think of the unmanageability that follows... usually in every aspect of our lives and relationships!

Good for you in your new quest for sobriety!!! Glad you are here and we really do need eachother. It's a "we" thing we got going!

Hugs, Nicki :ghug
Old 01-25-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hello Zen..

Welcome to SR!

I know you must be reeling from what you have discovered, and are in a lot of

pain. Yet, you are sober for 6 days. Congratulations! Tough thing to do..

considering, but doable, and you are proving it.

Meetings are an excellent idea right now. I am glad you found SR.

The light is always on here...

Hugs,

Sher
Old 01-25-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
IO Storm

That was a half hearted congrats..

Congrats on six days Zen!!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 days! Best wishes with saving what's most important to you - your family and marriage!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 6 days, me too. Day numero 6 almost in the books, no booze in the house so I should be good to go. Tommorrow is another day.

I'm sure you'll feel welcome here, I sure do. I've been posting since last Friday and it's helped me alot, especially at night.

Hang in there.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are planning for a different lifestyle
I had to leave toxic people and places to protect my early sobriety.
...They survived my absence and I have thrived!

You mentioned a meeting...I do use AA ...not sure what your planning.
Use whatever you think will aid your recovery.

Blessings to you and your family...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family Zen!

We are glad you're here. I found the following link helpful when I was ready to get sober. It helped me understand why I was unable to cut back and/or moderate my drinking. Every part of me was physically addicted to alcohol.
The link is from "Under the Influence":

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Make yourself at home.