Notices

Day 16 - A question about AA

Old 01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Day 16 - A question about AA

Hi there

I am on day 16 sober and i have found this forum immense support. I count it as one of the main reasons that I have managed to build up so much resolve - and I really feel good about this time stopping. A big thanks to everyone.

I do know that external support is key to this. I am on the waiting list for support via my GP (whatever that turns out to be). I haven't told family or friends - but my partner knows and is being very supportive. That kind of leaves AA...

I just wondered what the main differences I should expect- between AA meetings and this forum. I read so much about people's experiences here - what more will I gain by attending meetings?

Thanks in advance for any input...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

many reasons

There are many reasons why you may benefit from face to face AA. Looking directly into the eyes of another alcoholic and knowing instinctively they understand exactly how you feel can't be substitued. This site is great and helpful to many, however, here you are presented with multiple options on how to quit, not so with AA.

AA offers one solution, a spiritual experiece as a result of working 12 steps out of the basic text referred to as the Big Book. In AA you will find recovered alcoholics, one may become your sponsor and take you through the steps.

AA is a spiritual program, make no mistake about this, Many people say it is religious, this argument gets discussed a lot on this site, frankly I try to stay out of it. In AA you will have to find a power greater than yourself, many referr to this power as God. However, it does not have to be the God of Church, or your upbringing, you are absolutley free to come up with your own concept. True, the basic ideas regarding the steps were adapted from Christian principles, but, this does not mean you have to be a member of any organzied religion. Can AA be religious? Only if you want it to be, the realm of the spirit, is broad and roomy. A friend of mine says he is a member of the church without walls, me too.

AA is not the only way, it is the best way for some us, keep searching and you will find the path best suited for your journey. You may consider attending a few meetings just to check it out.

If you are completely against spiritual principles the secular forum here may be beneficial to you as well. Good luck on your recovery, PM me if I can be of any assistance.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am glad you find SR helpful.

I'm not an AA person, but I'm sure others will be along who can give you information about meetings.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

god, religion and power are within you.

Your main responsibility is to not drink.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Chump (love that name),

Online support is "online support", and is a great tool. AA is physical, right there in your face support! So much to do with people outside the meetings. The 12 steps are a "design for living". A good sponsor helps you with all that! Emotional intimacy with others in time is wonderful! Seeing expressions, seeing behaviors, seeing what you want and what you don't want... yada yada yada...

There's a lot of other resources out there as I'm not an AA guru, but when you look at the statistics at how many go and get recovery in those rooms world wide, then I'm optimistic in believing it's gotta help me too!

All my prayers and best in your own journey!
Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
There are many reasons why you may benefit from face to face AA. Looking directly into the eyes of another alcoholic and knowing instinctively they understand exactly how you feel can't be substitued. This site is great and helpful to many, however, here you are presented with multiple options on how to quit, not so with AA.

AA offers one solution, a spiritual experiece as a result of working 12 steps out of the basic text referred to as the Big Book. In AA you will find recovered alcoholics, one may become your sponsor and take you through the steps.

AA is a spiritual program, make no mistake about this, Many people say it is religious, this argument gets discussed a lot on this site, frankly I try to stay out of it. In AA you will have to find a power greater than yourself, many referr to this power as God. However, it does not have to be the God of Church, or your upbringing, you are absolutley free to come up with your own concept. True, the basic ideas regarding the steps were adapted from Christian principles, but, this does not mean you have to be a member of any organzied religion. Can AA be religious? Only if you want it to be, the realm of the spirit, is broad and roomy. A friend of mine says he is a member of the church without walls, me too.

AA is not the only way, it is the best way for some us, keep searching and you will find the path best suited for your journey. You may consider attending a few meetings just to check it out.

If you are completely against spiritual principles the secular forum here may be beneficial to you as well. Good luck on your recovery, PM me if I can be of any assistance.
very imformative........great post....trucker
Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA has better success than the medical establishment. That's why your GP may very well refer you there.

I am 18 weeks clean and sober. AA is the cornerstone for my sobriety. I want to be more than just abstaining from alcohol, I want happiness and a sense of my own purpose on this planet. AA helps me find those things. I have come to look forward the meetings.

IMHO, every recovering alcoholic owes it to themselves to try several different meetings before ruling AA out. There is nothing to lose. Try it, if it's not for you, you'll know it.

Welcome to SR

Mark
Old 01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

welcome aboard chump...

as to your question...

the awesome power of real live energy in a room...

seeing people laugh, and seeing them cry...

smell, nice, and the rock bottom gutter...

and for the ears... soft gentle loving voices, and loud, and at times screaming out pain...

and everything in between