Notices

aa?

Old 01-25-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I'm just a girl

aa?

I have been reading posts and a lot of people are fans of AA. I was going at one point but didn't really seem to like it. I think that was probably because I didn't have an open mind though and wasn't really ready for a change. I get my license back next week and am planning on going to AA again. I have a question for those that do go to AA, what should I look for in finding a good meeting or group? Also, how does AA help you? Any feedback would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA? Absolutely awesome for me!

Just go to the nearest meeting to you
and see if that helps you.

To begin with...AA gave me new friends who
shared the same new goals I wanted.
They were living in the AA Steps...
and that's where I found my solid sobriety.

Glad your planning to go...
Old 01-25-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Originally Posted by seemethrough View Post
I think that was probably because I didn't have an open mind though and wasn't really ready for a change.
AA has been either a like it or hate it thing for me. I have found that when I'd be serious about sobriety (as much as I could be), I got more out of it. This time around, I realize for me, that I'm desperate enough to go irregardless of past negative feeling I've had. They say "look for the similarities and not the differences". This is true. There's a lot in those rooms that I'm saying to myself, "Sh++, they're full of sh++" and other crap that infiltrates my thoughts. But, I'm willing to keep an open mind and always I hear something that I needed to hear, even if it's one sentence or in the meeting after the meeting - the chit chat. To change, I've got to step out of my comfort zone, face uncomfortability, face people in general, have accountability, etc. I hate all this cuz it's foreign to me, but as I said I want sobriety more and am going to almost any length at this point!

I'm not an AA preacher by any means! I know that there are a lot of people who won't go due to various personal reasons. There are other resources out there besides AA. For me, I'm going to give it a wholehearted effort for 90 days (hopefully I make it that long) and then decide to stick with it or go for alternatives. There's no set rule as to what we have to do, thank God! We just can't drink or use - NO MATTER WHAT! Thanks for posting!:ghug3
Old 01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA's 12 steps, helped me to find a God of my understanding, funny thing is, it was within me all along, I had just buried it. By incorporating the steps in my day to day life, I live in a recovered state, I don't think or obsess about drinking, the problem does not exist. Today my life is one of open invitation, of excitement, of opportunity. It all started with the sentiment you expressed in your original post, open mindedness, a willingness to drop belief systems and trust in a program that has been around along time and works extraordinary well when applied. Keep us posted.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i have been going to aa meetings since the beginning and i cannot say enough about the rooms and the people in them...i have a home group but go to many meetings in different places to get other perspectives...i am always amazed that i hear what i need to no matter what meeting i'm at...i guess being open minded and willing to hear are the keys for me! as others have said....take what you need and leave the rest! glad you are giving it another go...
aa has helped me to change my alcoholic thinking...the cravings for alcohol are gone now but i know that without the program and it's tools..i could easily find myself back in a place i don't wish to explore again!
wishing you peace & continued success!
Lisa
Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am going to go to a couple of meeting to check it out. I have one less than a mile from me.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Look for a solid group with a lot of sobriety. I get something out of all meetings but my home group is not about b!tch sessions or whining... it's honestly about keeping yourself sober by helping others get and stay sober.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
AA's 12 steps, helped me to find a God of my understanding, funny thing is, it was within me all along, I had just buried it.
You can find God, but the important thing is to find your morality. Really. That's all it takes.

ackkk
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

God is with you and me and all of us. God is Power. Stay away from those who say you're powerless.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi

I went to alot of different meetings, thankfully there are alot around these parts.

I can't really put it into words easily, but after attending several, I just "knew" when I found the group I wanted to be a member of, and which ones I'd attend on days my home group didn't meet and which ones were not a good fit.

My home group has alot of people around my age, I like the emotional "tone" of the meeting and there is alot of "good sobriety" there. They made an effort to remember my name (as I did theirs!!!) and offered there phone numbers, etc...

I have heard it said, go to AA meetings as often as it takes for you to really want to go... I know what that means now. I really look forward to my meetings.

AA helps me find happiness and serenity, not just abstinence.

Mark