Notices

The crutch - would welcome your thoughts...

Old 01-23-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The crutch - would welcome your thoughts...

In 2008 I was up to about 1/3 of a fifth of vodka every day (for a while it was the 100 proof stuff, then the cheaper 90 proof) - total closet drinker! No vomiting, passing out, blackouts, etc. - talk about tolerance. I tried going stone cold teetotal on 1/1 but couldn't make it. I don't like wine or beer but did try wine coolers (with diet Sprite and Crystal Light lemonade for flavor). So I'm "down to" 8 oz of wine a day. It takes the burden of the "OMG, do I have to quite FOREVER??? Can I go to the ABC store NOW??" off of me - it's almost like a security blanket. So far it's taken a lot of stress out of the equation - while I can't tell myself that I'm a non-drinker, the fact that I'm drinking limited amounts of wine versus a heavy daily load of vodka has made me feel better about myself.
Has anyone else done something like this? Does it work or am I just delaying the inevitable need to break off entirely? Any insights welcome...
Old 01-23-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I'm glad it's working for you.

I spent at least a year doing that. It would work for awhile, never for very long. And, when it worked, I found that I was thinking about drinking all the time - what would I drink, when, how much, etc. It was a relief to finally stop.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I personally didn't do that, but I'm sure some others here tapered off.

I do think that you're trying to delay the inevitable. I do think that eventually you will have to quit completely and for good, just based on the little bits you wrote here. I'd be curious to hear more, though: do you lose the ability to stop drinking once you start? You said you don't have blackouts - that's good. Do you feel regretful or ashamed after you drink? Do you say you won't drink and then give in anyway?

If you're not having any trouble limiting yourself to a very specific quantity then I dunno... maybe you're just a heavy drinker with a potential abuse problem. Do you obsess over not drinking, or only when you think about quitting FOREVER?

You never have to think about quitting forever, btw. You only have to think about quitting TODAY. Then do it again tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey there Crayola,

If you are able to maintain 8 oz of wine per day, without cravings for more; they you are doing good at moderating your drinking.

I wasn't able to do that. I would reward myself with a little splash more wine (read: glug, glug goes the bottle) if I had maintained moderation for a set period. But I could always justify the bonus amount of wine because I was good, had a few days off, dealing with other peoples crap, etc....

I cold turkeyed my daily vodka addiction, two years ago this month. It wasn't pretty. I was able to keep it out of my daily diet. But I continued to drink wine and beer. Then I escalated back to shots of whiskey or tequila, and well you know how this ends..

Happy to be here and sober!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Crayola,

Personally I find it so much easier not to drink, than try to control my drinking. It is also so nice not having to worry about hiding bottles, getting rid of empties, etc. When I tried moderation, it wouldnt take to long before I was on a binge again.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In your own words:

"total closet drinker"
"but couldn't make it"
"OMG, do I have to quit FOREVER???"
"its almost like a security blanket"
"taken a lot of stress out of the equation"

You say that you don't like wine but you admit that you are drinking it.

Only you can really answer the question you are asking.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, definitely some things to seriously ponder. To answer Kent's question - I don't really like wine straight but I've always liked coolers or mixed drinks. I've got a sweet tooth, yep - if the only alcohol was Merlot I'd be permanently sober
Thanks too for the warning, Pelican - I can see where the extra "treat" would be a hazard. Maybe once I think all of this through I'll see where cold quitting would be easier.
SR Folks are wonderful - I can't say how nice it is to be able to ask and get straight advice from you guys!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crayola View Post
delaying the inevitable
Yep
Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

I had this on my browser and it seems to fit here

What is moderation?

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
Good to see you again ..
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Crayola,

My experience has been to taper down because I'm a hard core 24/7 alkie. If I wouldn't have, I'd have been hospitalized. But through my tappering down, it was with the sole intention of cutting it off completely within a 3-4 day period. I've done this before and know what to pretty much expect with my body make-up and detoxing. I wouldn't suggest going cold turkey without at least seeing and/or talking to your doctor first. The amount of liquor you're talking about doesn't seem to me like it would be a problem, but I'm not a physician and I don't know how you process alcohol.

Keep us posted and am wishing you strength and hope through this!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Realized that I mis-read your thread entirely!

Sorry to have been confused!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by crayola
delaying the inevitable

Yep, again
<><
Old 01-23-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Originally Posted by crayola View Post
I've got a sweet tooth, yep - if the only alcohol was Merlot I'd be permanently sober
_
Do a web search on sugar sensitivity. Interesting reading on the similarity of sweets and booze (both are sugars)

Padraic