Notices

Drinking on TV & Movies

Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drinking on TV & Movies

Does anyone else feel like drinking looks fun & glamorized on TV. Just for example I love watching Stand up Comedy. And most of them stand up their drinking up a storm making jokes about it, or about how much they love beer, etc.

Also the more I've watched TV the last few days I can hardly see a show that they aren't drinking in, or talking about drinking, including Simpsons, Family Guy. I guess I've just always looked at people drinking on TV & thought well if they can do it, why not me.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, drinking can be glamorized on TV.

One of the things I like watching is old reruns of Seinfeld. Drinking is almost never involved in that show.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
Yes, drinking can be glamorized on TV.

One of the things I like watching is old reruns of Seinfeld. Drinking is almost never involved in that show.
Very true...no cigarettes either.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think drinking loosens most people up and makes them laugh more, it did me.

My own drinking just got out of control so I don't drink anymore.

I never look at people drinking and ask "why not me", I already know why not me.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

i think a lot of these guys like the blue collar comedy guy make it look like they are drinking but they really are not. Half of them probably drink apple juice or water in a scotch glass, the other half..booze.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Seems like you are a little obsessed with alcohol? (seeing it every channel you turn to).

That's ok - many of us relate.

Heck - I can even tell you that in Seinfeld - the way to open Elaine's vault is to get her drunk on peppermint schnapps (she gets drunk when she drinks it). Kramer got drunk on Hennigans scotch (THE No-Tell, No Smell Scotch!) and passed out on the couch. He also would pour drinks when he had the pretend job at some office (I don't recall the job - but I recall him coming in and having a drink). Jerry went on a date with "man-hands" and she opened a bottle of beer (which appeared to be regular budweiser) for him at dinner.

That's just off the top of my head in 10 seconds on seinfeld alone.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

From another one of my posts:
How about on TV when they pour someone a little bit of wine in a big giant glass! Drives me nuts and sometimes they don't even drink the whole thing or take liitle tiny sips!! All I can think of is the fact that I would say fill it up and then guzzle the whole thing down! The day that stuff doesnt bother me is when I know Im cured.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh yeah...Elaine's Schnapps, Kramer's Hennigans, and ManHands.
Well, a handful of episodes out of about 200 ain't bad

I love that show. So does the Hennigans thing really work?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

OMG, when I stopped drinking (the first time) that is all I saw everywhere I went. I would go buy a card and all the cards joked about drinking, I would turn on the tv and they would be talking about drinking (how good red wine is for you, I guess if you don't drink the whole bottle)...etc... I really saw it everywhere and kept thinking, so okay...it is okay to drink....wrong!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Seems like you are a little obsessed with alcohol? (seeing it every channel you turn to).

That's ok - many of us relate.

Heck - I can even tell you that in Seinfeld - the way to open Elaine's vault is to get her drunk on peppermint schnapps (she gets drunk when she drinks it). Kramer got drunk on Hennigans scotch (THE No-Tell, No Smell Scotch!) and passed out on the couch. He also would pour drinks when he had the pretend job at some office (I don't recall the job - but I recall him coming in and having a drink). Jerry went on a date with "man-hands" and she opened a bottle of beer (which appeared to be regular budweiser) for him at dinner.

That's just off the top of my head in 10 seconds on seinfeld alone.

You watch way too much Seinfeld. You never seen Lucy drinking back in the old days although on Andy of Mayberry they had Ottis.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh...perhaps I have seen too much of Lucy too.

Vitameatavegamin??? I recall her getting a little tipsy from it. No need to even go into those club scenes with the congo drums.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Resident

sug you are good that episode was real funny. Way ahead of it's time. How about something from the Flying Nun?