Notices

Small accomplishment, but its a FIRST!

Old 01-23-2009, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small accomplishment, but its a FIRST!

OK, I know I have expressed that my biggest enabler is my little sister. She lives very close to me, and we are close, see eachother few times a week, Our kids go to the same dance studio/school.

Well like every Friday I get the call from her. She calls to say she is leaving dance with the kids, and wants to know I can "GO FOR A RIDE WITH HER". Now we both know that is code for, I need to go to the liquior store but do not want to drag all the kids in.

So she will pick me up & we buzz up a mile to the liquior store (Where they know us!) And take turns running in, getting 1 or 2 bottles each.

Then I may stay at her house for a couple hours, have a couple drinks & play gmes with the kids.

Well today I agreed to go with her, but DID NOT EVEN GET OUT OF THE VAN!

I didn't have the heart yet to tell her I was trying to quit. So I just told her I didn't have the card on me & I would have Dustin stop on the way home.

Then I asked her to just bring me home because I had stuff to do. I guess its a step! It was tempting, but I feel better that I didn't buy one.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you! Baby steps.......
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a very good step!!! I know you will do this and acknowledge it must be very hard. Gosh, it sounds to me like fun that arrangement you have, however, I know you must have a reason for wanting to not drink, which extends beyond just fun, or you wouldn't be posting here! Way to go!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
That's a very good step!!! I know you will do this and acknowledge it must be very hard. Gosh, it sounds to me like fun that arrangement you have, however, I know you must have a reason for wanting to not drink, which extends beyond just fun, or you wouldn't be posting here! Way to go!
I'm finding that I can't stop at 1 or 2. To the point I don't remember the night before. And my topper is my DUI. I just felt so terrible after. But I still didn't stop. I just know I am lucky I didn't hit anyone & I need to make some real changes in my life!
Old 01-23-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would say that that was more than a small accomplishment, it was huge! Doing little things like that is much more difficult for us compared to normal drinkers and you did great.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great.

It might seem like a small change, but every change causes a ripple effect in your life.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's cool!!

I had a meeting yesterday with some folks I am doing a show with and the bartender came out with free shots!! And even though it was handed to me and I heard "Oh one shot isn't going to hurt you (umm yes it will)" I said no and used the reason that I am losing weight. (and I am, no lie)

Good for you!!! It is one step at a time.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Resident

i agre3e this is a huge step and I hope when you "Go for a Ride" next week you do the same thing. I guess you know that you will have to tel your sister soon or she may think that something else is wrong between you and you wouldn't want that Family is the most important thing. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
i agre3e this is a huge step and I hope when you "Go for a Ride" next week you do the same thing. I guess you know that you will have to tel your sister soon or she may think that something else is wrong between you and you wouldn't want that Family is the most important thing. Keep up the good work.
I know but I kind of feel like the pot calling the kettle black. Ya know. just feel like I need a handle on my self & then I will tell her what I am doing.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't think telling your sister you want to quit is in any way telling her she's doing something 'bad' or 'wrong'. I'd like to think I need to quit for myself first, it's about your own health and life.

When I told my wife I was an addict I was scared. But she loves me, I shouldn't have been surprised that she tried to be compassionate and understanding, but I was.

Do you think your sister will think you are being self righteous?

I think she'll understand.

Hang in there.