On the path to recovery?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

On the path to recovery?

My xabf would typically use everyday if he could... but before (and seemingly now) he was able to control it to where he only used every 2 to 3 weeks. DOC is crack. Is this condusive to becoming recovered? I'm thinking no, as I know when I was doing it, it didn't help/hurt to have time in between using. I still wanted it the same. I should mention typical days, he would only spend 20 to 60 dollars, then one day a week close to $1k. Instead every two to three wks he'd spend over 1k, maybe close to $1500. Better financially, but is this the path to recovery?

Just a question that I'm curious about the answer to.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by InAnotherLife View Post
My xabf would typically use everyday if he could... but before (and seemingly now) he was able to control it to where he only used every 2 to 3 weeks. DOC is crack. Is this condusive to becoming recovered? I'm thinking no, as I know when I was doing it, it didn't help/hurt to have time in between using. I still wanted it the same. I should mention typical days, he would only spend 20 to 60 dollars, then one day a week close to $1k. Instead every two to three wks he'd spend over 1k, maybe close to $1500. Better financially, but is this the path to recovery?

Just a question that I'm curious about the answer to.

Recovery means not using, if you are using then you are "Using" and
out of recovery. The path to recovery and crack do not go together.

That's almost like saying I'm going to New York but taking the directions to
go to Los Angeles, it doesn't work like that.

If you are recovering yourself I would do yourself a favor and stay away from him.

******...}}}

JMO
Old 01-23-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Done With It. Take care of yourself.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The only "Recovery" I have ever seen work is ABSTINENCE from all Mind Altering Chemicals (yes, that includes alcohol, lol), and one working on themselves to change their ways.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

I don't know to much about crack but from what I have read, you can go without for a few days even a few weeks and then go on a binge... wash, rinse, repeat..

I agree with Done With It.. Recovery is not using, not hanging out on the same playground and not playing with the same playmates...
Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

One of the definitions of addiction that has helped me is that it is a chronic and progressive disease.

Chronic becuse it doesn't go away, progressive because it gets worse over time without abstinance.

That said, one of the things I've seen with my niece (meth addict) is that she and her friends support each other's denial by saying things like, but I only (fill in the blank - only drink on weekends, only use once a week, only use when I'm with others, etc.)

All the literature points out that these "but I only" statements are just another form of denial. In the case of every addict I know, using a little or just drinking, etc., was just the start of returning to the original addiction.

I guess the question that comes to my mind is - how free do you want to be?

Prayers that you and your boyfriend find the freedom sobriety can bring.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What they said. There is no such thing as recreational crack use. Crack addicts binge and abstain binge and abstain... and so on... and so on...

That is not recovery. That is addiction.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you knew the answer to this question when you typed it so i'm not going to answer manipulators can make us question even the most sane thoughts we have - trust your gut.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Simply put .... NO

Please don't buy into the denial game..."Well, it's better than it was" or "He didn't do as much this time" or "He went longer between using".

D E N I A L = Don't Even Know It's A Lie