Notices

I'm a 57 yo newbie

Old 01-23-2009, 07:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a 57 yo newbie

Really new at this, especially admitting I have a problem. Heck I'm an old pro at quiting...just not admitting! This is day six and the cravings are much better, but the mood swings are getting worse...any advice?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you. This is also my 1st day finding this site & a place to hopefully learn more about my addiction, & how to beat it.

This is day 2 1/2 for me. TONIGHT will be very hard for me. As Hubby drinks & we usually watch moives & play games with the kids on Friday nights, and I have no clue the last time I did that with out a drink.

Bless you, I will keep you in my prayers.

~jules
Old 01-23-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Dern. You are my senior in age but not by much just a couple of years. It took us longer than most to get it through our thick heads that drinking aint groovy. You will get a lot of support here. I know this is going to sound ridiculous but I get a lot of relief from the emotions I am feeling by coming here and reading and posting. Maybe it is because I am a 2 finger typer and I have to concentrate on my typing or maybe it is something else: not really sure.

Come join us in the class of January where most of us post daily.
Good luck on your quest.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My experience with mood swings was that the best thing for me to do was be as gentle with myself as necesssary. Ask for what you need from family and friends...whether you need a little space or someone around to cheer you up. Quitting is hard, and you have to put yourself and your needs first for a while to the bumps smooth out a bit.

Glad you are here!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

Originally Posted by Derntootin View Post
Really new at this, especially admitting I have a problem. Heck I'm an old pro at quiting...just not admitting! This is day six and the cravings are much better, but the mood swings are getting worse...any advice?
Welcome Dern i quit on jan 11 i understand your mood swings i am very cranky with everyone only thing to help that is time this forum is really helpful and somewhere to jump on when your mood is low take care Pat
Old 01-23-2009, 08:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's good to see you here, Dern. Congrats on your six days.

Mood swings and feeling overwhelmed are the price we pay in early recovery. It's just part of the process. All those synapses in the brain take a while to heal and return to normal. Riding the moods out until they pass and keeping ourselves occupied however we can helps to ensure our success.

Be good to yourself. There's a lot of good support here so feel free to post as often as you need. We all get by with a little help from our friends.

Hope to see again soon.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Derntootin, welcome to SR..
congratulations on day 6!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Derntootin! I'm also 57 yrs old. I'm glad you found this understanding and supportive family! :ghug

Mood swings are very common. Be sure you're eating right and drinking lots of water and juice. Milk thistle is a good detoxifier. Vitamin B is also helpful. Be good to yourself and congrats on six days!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome, derntootin! What I can say is that they say things level out over time and it's good to see you here! I am 49 and finally getting serious. My philosophy is that as long as one is still breathing it's never too late to attempt this sobriety thing
Old 01-23-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by Derntootin View Post
..any advice?
Put good things in your body, like good food and vitamins, drink lots of water and other healthy drinks like tea and real juices. Stay away from places and people that remind you of drinking.

If you have a hobby, enjoy it. Or rediscover it.

Be kind to yourself. And to others.

Read & post here as much as possible.

Welcome and congrats!!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Really good advice from all, thank you. I guess we never get to old to learn a little something everyday especially when we can remember it!
Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to the forum. I cant really add much about the mood swings that hasnt already been posted.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Hang in there..Glad you are here.