Not sure what to think

Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure what to think

Heard thru the grape vine (my mom talked to my AD's BF....)
He says she's in a clinical trial (at Columbia Presbyterian) for some medication for crack addicts. BF says she is actually clean for 2 weeks. She is going for counseling weekly as part of this clinical trial, and is now on Adderal for ADHD. (That's an amphetamine. Not my idea of a good medication for a crack head) No NA meetings as far as a I know. I don't know much, actually.

My AD doesn't talk to me much these days. (I left 2 messages - just chatty, supportive stuff - since Christmas eve which was the last time she called me). I presume most of this is true. It isn't the way I think it should look - I really believe NA meetings is what she needs for many,many reasons - but what do I know? Nothing else she has tried has worked. detox & Rehab did not help (8 times without ever completing any of them). She knows where the NA meetings are and has been to quite a few with me, though none on her own!

Its' her choice, her life, and I know God has the big picture. Maybe this trial medication is just the thing for her. Maybe its just another point along her path. Maybe it will all make sense at some point but right now I just don't know what to think.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

awww, ((Sleepy)), I wouldn't know what to think, either. I know it has to be hard not to hear from her, and only hear things through the grapevine, but I'm hoping whatever path she is on, is one that will lead to recovery. My path from crack to here didn't really include NA, either, but here I am

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
BBD

Hey Sleepy~~At least your hearing something. Thats better than the fear we sometimes go through. It's good to hear she is on a better path and hopefully the right one for her to get straight....Mom hugs, Bonnie
Old 01-22-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

_((Sleepy)), lets hope this trial medication will turn out to be, what she needs, to make a real difference in her healing process....hugs and prayers, grateful
Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Sleepy- I know it saddens you to not have a relationship with your daughter at this time.
Lots of hugs and support coming your way.
You sound positive, so hurray for you.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, my daughter actually answered her phone today. Yes, she is in a clinical trial for a medication to stop crack cravings. she is only clean 2 days thought, not 2 weeks. But two days is two days!!
Old 01-23-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

She is trying...and you had a conversation with her.
Accept what is... find gratitude in the baby-steps... and you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Sleepy, I am so glad you were able to connect with her! wonderful
and yes, two days is two days,.... hope floats...
I got an email from mine, and for the first time, she is saying she needs to go to rehab...I am sitting on my excitement, because, you know...but this is a huge step for her! and so I am giving thanks and giving it up at the same time,..... because I just have no control over what will be..hugs, grateful

Last edited by grateful2b; 01-23-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow, Grateful2 - that is exciting! It's more meaningful when they never were interested in treament before and then they are. I think about marle's daughter and how one time in treament did it for her, and how she was not at all interested for years before that. My AD was more like me in that we were both willing to go to treatment plenty of times, but not willing to make it stick (well, of course I finally did!). At any rate, its a very good sign.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here is a link to what may be the clinical study using Adderal:

Department of Psychiatry Clinical Trials Submission Page —
Old 01-24-2009, 06:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of support coming your way! Two days is something to appreciate today!

Let us know what happens!

Hugs, HG
Old 01-24-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Sleepgoat,

Each day clean and sober is a good day, so try to stay in the day and be grateful for what that day brings for you and your daughter. (I think I just typed that as a reminder to ME!)

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 01-24-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sleepy, I'm so glad you were able to speak with her and I hope this is her time to be ready and willing. Sometimes just letting the brain start healing can help with better decisions each step of the way. I know you know the path is rarely a straight one and hope is always present. For today, two days clean is something to rejoice in. Hugs
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sleepy, My daughter actually went to rehab twice. The first time was my idea and she left AMA after 5 days. That was in October of 2005. She also tried many times unsuccessfully to detox herself. The second time at rehab was totally her idea. This time she has 8 months clean. Your daughter is doing this herself so maybe this time it will take. If not, she is making progress and for that you can be thankful. Hugs, Marle
Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by sleepygoat View Post
Wow, Grateful2 - that is exciting! It's more meaningful when they never were interested in treament before and then they are. I think about marle's daughter and how one time in treament did it for her, and how she was not at all interested for years before that. My AD was more like me in that we were both willing to go to treatment plenty of times, but not willing to make it stick (well, of course I finally did!). At any rate, its a very good sign.
Thanks Sleepy, we will see what her next step is...declaring it was huge for her and actually doing it will be another huge 'babystep' and I know I just need sit back and let it be her call....

I like what Marle said about this being her idea...I feel when they want it for themselves, it carries more hope

Last edited by grateful2b; 01-24-2009 at 10:42 AM.