Notices

anxiety

Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxiety

Hello. I am brand new here and have been fighting with alcohol abuse for a while now. Have quit before for a short period of time with little problem. Now i can seem to get by the anxiety. Anyone have any advice?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome craze. I don't have much advice but I can say that coming here and posting and reading other people's posts help me to relax. Everyone is here to help and support each other and some find comfort in the fact that someone is here to lend an ear and offer encouragement. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Craze283..
Welcome to our community!
You will find lots of support here and people along presently to share their experiences with you...
don't forget to check the stickies at the top of the page for a lot of great information and keep posting..Hugs, Grateful
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Craze…anxiety is what gets me everytime. I actually think I would be okay without the drink if I didn’t get so much anxiety after stopping. So to let you know, you are not alone!! I don’t have much advice because I still deal with it and unfortunately I don’t think any doctor would prescribe any anti-anxiety meds…too addictive. I have actually been walking around my block and it feels so good. It’s really hard just to get the strength to get out there, but it does feel good. Anything but laying around has helped me...I do jumping jack sometimes and it helps...sounds weird I know. This is a good post and I hope people will come along with anxiety relief for you. Keep coming back and posting. Welcome!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Anxiety, for me, turned out to be too much thinking about tomorrow, next week, next year, etc... where I was trying to control the outcome of events that hadn't even occurred yet.

I used the 12 step program to help me realize some other entity (nature?) 'controls' what is going to happen all around me. I can't control what is going to happen tomorrow any more than I can control the weather today, lol.

Keep coming back.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you will find that the anxiety will lessen as time goes by.

I have to deal with anxiety too and I have learned to live with it. For me, that means knowing what my limitations are and maintaining boundaries. I think keeping a balance in my life - physical, spiritual and emotional. Have you tried meditation. I find that the breathing involved in meditation helps me to relax.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Good point Anna. I started reading about meditation a while back and settled on a breathing exercise I do at least twice a day. It is the 4-4-8 and I am sure you have probably heard of it.
Breath in deeply for 4 secs., hold for 4 secs, and release slowly for 8 secs. Good in bad out. I do 3 sets of 12. It is amazing how it feels. That is pretty much all I know about meditation as I didn't read all the other stuff that went with it. Typical male never read the instructions.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's amazing how many people that aren't alcoholics or drug addicts in any way are on medications for stuff like anxiety. A lot of people have been on anxiety meds since they were little, and don't know a life without them. I'd rather have some anxiety than be dependent on yet another substance because stopping anti-anxiety meds is supposedly no easy trick either.

I think the best way to fully evaluate whether or not you might have anxiety that is not drug or alcohol induced is to abstain for some time and then see how you feel. PAWS symptoms supposedly can linger for some time. Also of course, rest, a healthy diet, exercise, and lifestyle all are important too.

A small amount of anxiety is normal and expected, so I don't think we should expect a life devoid of anxiety altogether. Some situations are stressful to any person. As noted already, simply breathing helps calm. I was reading some thing online talking about how sometimes when people get panic attacks it is because there breathing is shallow due to tightening up, and they breathe only with their upper chest rather than with the diaphragm. So when I get anxious it helps to focus on the breathing. If you have a cat, they do this naturally when excited and start panting...haha

Also, the body cleans itself with the breath. When drinking you actually lose some alcohol through the breath, so it has a cleansing effect in itself. Oh yea, bananas help a lot. The potassium is supposed to calm. I've heard Magnesium helps. A lot of people take Valerian root in some form which is supposed to help as well. There's lots of supplements out there like GABA etc, but I don't know how safe they all are. A solid diet is the best way. if all else fails, check with a doctor.

Last edited by matt88; 01-22-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I certainly hear you on the anxiety. Drinking seems like a relief, but it really just fuels MORE anxiety, so number 1 I think is not to drink. If it's really bad, there is an anti-anxiety med out there (I don't think I can say the name?) that is not addictive that you take each day. Your Dr. will know about this, no doubt.

At any rate, they say anxiety is high when one first stops drinking and then gets better. Hang in there!
Old 01-23-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks again everyone. Katie i know the alchol is half the problem, that is why i am on here. And that drug you are refering to is probably the one i am on. It just doesnt seem to help much during withdrawls.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Glad to have you here, hope you can relax and feel free to share your feelings.

Heidi
Old 01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember having panic attacks going into stores & places if I hadn't had some drinks! I totally understand what you are saying.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family, Craze! You might want to check out the forum titled Anxiety disorders in the mental healthy section. You might find some suggestions there. Anxiety Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I hope I got the link right.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Craze....I had a 'lot' of anxiety early in recovery because my brain chemistry was such a mess, but over time as my brain healed, the anxiety slowly declined until it was no longer a problem..hugs
Old 01-23-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

The anxiety during withdrawal is tough!

You're among friends here who have lived through it. We know how bad it gets. Some of the others have mentioned physical activity, I know I wanted to run screaming down the street, but settled for a walk instead.

Deep breathing does help. Herbal teas might help. It will get better.

Keep posting if you need to.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. This is my first full day again since last started drinking. Actually feel pretty good so far this morning but have been staying active (garage has never been cleaner lol), but i know it is just the beging. Hopefully tonight and the next couple days go well.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am on day 4 of being sober now and still really no major witdrawls. Has gone pretty well so far. Hope it continues and hope to keep hearing from all of you.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by craze283 View Post
I am on day 4 of being sober now and still really no major witdrawls. Has gone pretty well so far. Hope it continues and hope to keep hearing from all of you.
Well major congrats and good for you!!! Please keep coming here. They say the first 3/4 days are the roughest physically, although emotionally I've been a mess on 5/6.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey craze283, nice to hear from you here.

For me it seems to be immersing myself in something that I love, or even just enjoy. When my mind and body are busy I don't get as anxious.

This forum helps, I cut and stack firewood every night. I work on stuff, that needs attention around my farm every night til I'm tired. I went for a 2 hour walk in -5 degrees around my back hayfield at sunset 3 nights ago. Busy with my wife and family. Busy with some things that I love.

Hang in there.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today seems to be getting a little rougher. Hope they start getting better. Will keep checking in here and trying my best. Just so hard to do things that i would normally be drinking while doing them. Went to town and went past a sports bar and thought it would be nice to go in and have a beer. Didnt though. Thanks again.