Progress in Recovery (at least to me LOL)

Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

Progress in Recovery (at least to me LOL)

My RAH is a month sober today, going to meetings 2x a day and intensive outpatient 4x a week and doing ok (so far). Yes, he is still living at home w/me, he's really working a program and actually a pleasure to be around. Anyway, I leave his recovery to him and my recovery to me. If he wants to volunteer something, fine. If not, fine. Anyway, as a complication of his liver disease/alcoholism, he now has extremely high blood glucose levels. He has to monitor it a few times a day and eat certain foods, and he'll see the dr. next week to let him know what the readings were. Anyway, we were talking about food this morning, and as I was leaving for work, I said to him "I hope you eat what you're supposed to cause if you don't, your blood sugar can go dangerously high and you can go into a coma, and I don't really feel like coming home from work to find you in one." I didn't think anything of it, till my co-worker asked how he was doing. When I told her this, she said "oh, never mind that he'd be in one, only that you don't want to come home and find him in one" and I was like "yeah, why should I have to go thru all that, like call an ambulence and worry and stuff." She jokingly said "is it always about you?" (standard joke around the office and my house lately, actually). That's when it dawned on me, progress, not perfection!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Insightful and honest, queen. Sounds like progress to me.