Notices

Sponsors?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sponsors?

This being an online community, I was wondering where can I find a sponsor? I think that's the hardest part of this is not having someone to share with. My wife is a great listener but she doesn't KNOW, know what I mean?

I know I can always hop in the chatroom, but I know that there will be times when there isn't anyone there.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi (hug)

glad you found this site, and glad you found chat as well it can be helpful.

be sure to review the threads as well. you may find someone you click with in either one of those places and then you could ask them to sponsor you.

Since you are asking about a sponsor, does this mean you are in AA or NA or Alanon or Naranon?

If so, attending the face to face meetings would be very helpful.

Also, remember that a sponsor can't "always" be there either. They do their best to help otheres into and through sobriety, but a large circle of support is usually required for longterm sobriety....

Glad you are here
Old 01-22-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have tried AA, but don't like the spirituality of it. I am waiting for a info packet on secular groups in my area, but was just wondering as I am more comfortable at home in front of the 'puter. Besides, thats where most of my drinking was done.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I am not an AA person, but the term sponsor usually refers to the AA program.

You can look around and try to find someone that you click with, then ask that person via PM whether you can chat via PM or email, or whatever.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yea, I didn't have a better term. Crutch maybe, lol?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

You will find lots of support and information here. Just posting anytime of the day, anything you are thinking or feeling, will usually get a response from someone around the world who is on-line. This is an active community. The newcomers section seems to get the most traffic. Some of us have a history with alcohol abuse, some with narcotics, some with both. Whatever you are going through, we get it!

Throw your line out into the pond and see what you catch!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah strange! just pm away...get to know some people here. Check out the secular thread as well...you'll find a supportive group of people in that thread as well....

You're doing great by the way (hug)
Old 01-22-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
I have tried AA, but don't like the spirituality of it. I am waiting for a info packet on secular groups in my area, but was just wondering as I am more comfortable at home in front of the 'puter. Besides, thats where most of my drinking was done.
A sponsor means you are in AA. Even if it is online, as opposed to face to face, the program is the same and will be just as spiritual.

What did you not like about the spiritual part? There are many agnostics and atheists in AA. Have you checked out the secular forums here?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey strange,

You have really come to the right place for 24/7 support. Do a lot of posting and reading. I can't add much more to what the others have said. Welcome to SR and y'all come back now, ya here? (I'm really not from the south, I'm just feeling really good right now).

Peace
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Strange!
You've received some good feed-back here! I understand your discomfort about the rooms of AA and the "spirituality" aspect.... however, many many people feel as you do that own a chair in those rooms. Some have learned to adopt a "God of their understanding".... many (not all) in those rooms have a "God" of their conception.... There is no "dos or don'ts" in those rooms as far as a mandatory rule that you get spiritual. Everyone has their own approach to working the steps and spirituality with God or not. The book of Alcoholics Anonymous has a specific chapter for Agnostics.

Since most of your drinking has been done in front of the computer, maybe it's time to step outside your "comfort zone"??? I'm just concerned it may be a trigger for you, eventually. Again, there is an incredible amount of support right here and other resources. I wish you all the best!

Hugs, Nicki :ghug3
Old 01-23-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have checked out the Secular forum and steps. I only used the term Sponsor for want of a better term. And I may just rely on the chatroom and forums here for that kind of support and will keep my eye out for any one person that I can count on. It will just take time I guess.

I don't believe in any Higher Power, that's the issue I had with AA.

As far as being in front of the computer, it's not being here that's the trigger. It's the people I have to deal with while working here that's the problem. I meant only that I don't drink outside much, just usually here at home.

Thank you all for the responses and ideas! Much appreciated and I consider this help and it does help just knowing that people are listening!