Notices

I'm new here

Old 01-22-2009, 12:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm new here

I'm Nathan. 32 years old. I hate Liquor. I love beer. I had 2 DUI's in college (which is where I knew I had a problem) but I graduated with an Accounting degree nonetheless.

I'm the guy that binge drinks cheap light beers and puts them down and the can is still surprisingly still cold! LOL

It's embarrassing though when I hang with friends and drink faster (which is not usually too noticeable) but the guy that has to buy more afterwards and drinks long into the night- LONG after everyone has stopped.

I am the guy who's room is suddenly (to me at least) ABSOLUTELY FILLED with empty beer cans. To me, it's like having a couple Diet Cokes. I may decide to come home from the folks and play some poker online and wonder if a 12 pack of Natural Light is enough. Perhaps an extra 4 pack of 16 ounce ones would at least keep me in just in case I craved more later.

I suffer from anxiety and take medication for it (Celexa)

Alcoholism, while not affecting my parents runs rampant on my mother's side (killed her grandfather).

I'm here for advice, help, or anything anyone can give me. I WANT to quit, yet never can. I can usually get a few days without, then I'll crave a few beers. Problem is- if I buy a 6 pack, I'll start drinking them faster and will end up going out again, sometimes even twice- I DON'T WANT ANOTHER DUI!!!

I'm here for help, advice, anything anyone can give. And, yes- I'm drinking a cheap beer as I post this. But, I don't want to die- but stating No more only works for a day or two and then I'm back at it.

Any help will, "help".
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Hi Nathan, Welcome to SR..I am glad you have found us..I hope you stick around..
There are many wonderful people here who will be along to share their experience, strength and hope ...hugs, Grateful
Old 01-22-2009, 12:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome palmbeach. Congratulations on your decision to quit. It would be a good idea to get medical advice as detox can be dangerous.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please read this link...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

It's excerpts from the book that convinced me to quit.

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

From my files....

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm certainly a Chronic then. Guys, I have known for quite some time but have been trying to get right Spiritually lately and it has been truly helping. You guys are Angels, I'm just trying to decide on the next step.

I'm ready- what should I do next? AA meetings? A physical? I don't have insurance now but, what would you guys suggest?
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have enjoyed drinking alone for years. I have told myself, it's only beers though. But in my mind it's almost been surreal to just sit alone and slam beers while listening to late night radio. I know, I'm bad. I'm just trying to figure out the next step.

Having said this, when I moved back to Fla, I moved in next to a guy that had serious drinking problems. Well, to cut a long and (boring) story short, someone during a Super Bowl a couple years ago offered me his tv and he and I went and picked it up. Problem?, the man was in the wine industry and he offered us each about a dozen bottles. Now, even as the alcoholic that I am, I planned on buying a wine rack and letting them age. (Remember, I like beer)

Well, after only about 4 days, his were gone and he was knocking on my door at 7 AM shaking and asking for whine. To me?, I realized, THIS is an alcoholic.

He later went into a half way house and I realize I still have a problem, yet not as bad as his but I told myself at the time- "He must be a true alcoholic"
Old 01-22-2009, 01:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you guys. Very interesting thread. Thus far, I realize why but not how to solve. If one truly wants to stop, does AA work? Did it work for you?

Also, does Milk Thistle help aid (if drinking stops) with a fatty liver?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. Do you have any withdrawal symptoms since you stopped drinking, like those mentioned in Carol's link? If so you should see a dr.

Milk Thistle is good for the liver but I do not know what it will do for a fatty liver. Again talk to your Dr.

AA is great for me but it is not for everybody. Here is a great link on what to expect at an AA meeting:

Your First AA Meeting

If you have any other questions fire away.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey palmbeach. I shot you a private msg. I'm here in the Palm Beaches, so WELCOME MY NEIGHBOR!!!! Good luck here. Tons of great support and sobriety. I love this site. A ton of great people here. If you post, you'll get some great responses as I'm sure you've noticed.

Keep coming back!!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by palmbeachsooner View Post
I have enjoyed drinking alone for years. I have told myself, it's only beers though. But in my mind it's almost been surreal to just sit alone and slam beers while listening to late night radio. I know, I'm bad. I'm just trying to figure out the next step.

Having said this, when I moved back to Fla, I moved in next to a guy that had serious drinking problems. Well, to cut a long and (boring) story short, someone during a Super Bowl a couple years ago offered me his tv and he and I went and picked it up. Problem?, the man was in the wine industry and he offered us each about a dozen bottles. Now, even as the alcoholic that I am, I planned on buying a wine rack and letting them age. (Remember, I like beer)

Well, after only about 4 days, his were gone and he was knocking on my door at 7 AM shaking and asking for whine. To me?, I realized, THIS is an alcoholic.

He later went into a half way house and I realize I still have a problem, yet not as bad as his but I told myself at the time- "He must be a true alcoholic"
Good to "meet you" You are wise to seek help before it turns into a problem where you end up on someone's doorstep asking for a beer. I had an uncle who drank beer and asked for one while on his deathbed in the ICU.

I wish I had good answers for you. AA might be a step in the right direction. This forum is great and all I've been doing for the past few days is sitting here posting, just letting the hours accumulate without a drink.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The two best bits of advice I've been given here are first, to take it one day at a time. Just don't drink for today. Second, I had to want to be sober more than I wanted to drink. It took me months to actually get to that point, and until I did, I kept relapsing. But if a chronic relapser like me can stay sober, so can you.

AA helped me a lot at first and is a good program worth a good try. Go to several meetings before you decide, as meetings are as different as the different members that make up the group.

Welcome to SR!:ghug3
Old 01-22-2009, 07:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Nathan,

Welcome to SR. I hope that you find it as useful as I have to help quit drinking. Today I will have a week and I attribute it inlarge part to the people on SR. Just reading and posting works like magic. The people here are amazingso keep coming back.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

HI Nathan,
You came to the right place. You really do have to WANT to stop. You are only 32! You are just a baby now and can heal much faster than some of us. You still have a chance to make your life what you want. You are just still in a place where you feel stuck. Throw out that beer right NOw and replace it with carbonated water. YOu will still get that cool sensation in your throat like when you chug a beer, plus you will be drinking water (good for your body).

Take a good multivitamin, extra potasium and vitamin B, and yes milk thistle is good for your liver however,,, don't use it as an excuse to drink like... "since I am taking milk thistle I can drink and it won't affect my liver." It will still affect your liver. Also, think about the calorie consumption!! Beer will make you fat!! You will also eat more since your defenses are down when you are drunk, plus you my eat more to fix that hangover. Mine was a number 1 at McDonalds. Big mistake!

Stay on this board and listen to the experience of all of us and again, Throw out that beer right now!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

*He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking*

Thanks CarolD!

I wish I would have read this as opposed to 'morning drinking'. I could always avoid drinking in the morning as I was usually drunk from the night before, but in the afternoon (after my nap) I would start drinking as soon as it was 'socially acceptable' (even if I was drinking alone. LOL) and drink until I went to bed.

Welcome Nathan and I hope you find your way. My first AA meeting was SCARY but I felt so much better afterword, meeting people that could understand where I was coming from.

PS. I'm 32 as well!
Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Nathan

great place to start, I started visiting this site a few months before I decided to quit drinking and I really believe it was because of this site that I begin to even entertain the idea that I could quit.

keep coming back , we are all here to encourage you along the way.

jules 67
Old 01-22-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi Nathan and welcome,

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said!!! All I can say is WE know what you're going through and the insanity of it all!

Keep using this site as it's such a helpful forum for us. We're all in the same boat and can relate 100% with the issues of addiction and all those feelings and baggage that come with it! So glad you're here!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Originally Posted by palmbeachsooner View Post
I'm Nathan. 32 years old. I hate Liquor. I love beer. I had 2 DUI's in college (which is where I knew I had a problem) but I graduated with an Accounting degree nonetheless.

I'm the guy that binge drinks cheap light beers and puts them down and the can is still surprisingly still cold! LOL

It's embarrassing though when I hang with friends and drink faster (which is not usually too noticeable) but the guy that has to buy more afterwards and drinks long into the night- LONG after everyone has stopped.

I am the guy who's room is suddenly (to me at least) ABSOLUTELY FILLED with empty beer cans. To me, it's like having a couple Diet Cokes. I may decide to come home from the folks and play some poker online and wonder if a 12 pack of Natural Light is enough. Perhaps an extra 4 pack of 16 ounce ones would at least keep me in just in case I craved more later.

I suffer from anxiety and take medication for it (Celexa)

Alcoholism, while not affecting my parents runs rampant on my mother's side (killed her grandfather).

I'm here for advice, help, or anything anyone can give me. I WANT to quit, yet never can. I can usually get a few days without, then I'll crave a few beers. Problem is- if I buy a 6 pack, I'll start drinking them faster and will end up going out again, sometimes even twice- I DON'T WANT ANOTHER DUI!!!

I'm here for help, advice, anything anyone can give. And, yes- I'm drinking a cheap beer as I post this. But, I don't want to die- but stating No more only works for a day or two and then I'm back at it.

Any help will, "help".
Palmbeach,

Are you sure your not a long lost twin of mine. I have been exactly the same way. I have one DUI under my belt, can drink a 30 pack of Keystone Light faster than people can drink a 6 pack of Coke, and several times I have risked another DUI by going out and getting more beer when I have already finished whatever was already in the house. There are a few things that made me want to stop this cycle I was living. One, the obvious health issues that would come from this type of drinking. Two, I have not been a successful in my career recently as I was in the past when I didnt drink like this. Three, I have a wife, two beautiful daughters and a son on the way. I thought what it would be like to not be around for their HS and college graduation, or walk them down the ailse at their wedding.

I guess what I am trying to tell you is what you do, I have done. I just found more reasons to not drink then to drink. Pour the rest of the beer out. Get rid of any others you have in the house. Then read the posts here and continue to share in our experiences. This place has helped me and I have only been a memeber for 4 days. Good luck and let us know how things are going.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Yall making me homesick!!

Glad you are here. Keep posting.

Old 01-22-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR~ You've come to the right place for support, that is for sure. Stick around and you will find that things get better, easier, and you will be able to stay sober =)

Good Luck~