Notices

Just waffling

Old 01-21-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Here's me. but when drinking could be found in doorways!
Just waffling

Sorry about this, just wanting to get some thoughts out my head.

I am on day 4 of sobriety. I am feeling a little confused still. My back hurts (lower back) and all around the sides too, it's like a dull ache and at times like Ive twisted it, also have pins and needles in my finger tips and my legs are achy. Is this normal? Have stomach ache too, but I'm putting that down to the fact I'm eating anything that isn't nailed down, and even then I'm nibbling round the sides

I went to work y'day and i thought it went well, but the person i support obviously knew something was up because she kept asking me if i was ok, apparently i didn't look happy and wasn't smiling or talkative.

I decided to make a list of stuff i could do today to keep me busy. Have loads that need done. wrote list and put it in my wallet. Well days nearly done and list is still in my wallet. I came home and went to bed and stayed there till about 2hrs ago (its 7.45pm now).
I just don't have the energy to do anything 'except eat' but i think I'm catching upon the last 15yrs of meals.

thanks for letting me waffle.

Be well all

louis
Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I think its normal to feel like crap or not have energy for awhile after stopping. I know it takes me a couple weeks to feel alright again.
Welcome to early recovery.
Just hang in there. It wont last forever.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think aches and pains are normal but a visit to the doctor wouldn't be a bad idea!

Try not to put too much pressure on yourself to do everything in a day. Early in sobriety going to work, nourishing yourself and getting adequate sleep are important. Pig out if you want...rent a movie and relax...be kind to your healing self.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Every time I don’t drink I get a pain in my right side, where the liver is of course. I went to the doctor about 6 months ago and I checked out okay, thankfully. I hear from people that when they get sober in the beginning their body hurts, even liver pains. It wouldn’t hurt to see your doctor. I was so stressed about it and was very scared to see the doctor but went anyway. When I got the clean bill of health it made a lot of stress go away and my body felt better, still drank though. About the food, you are lucky you have an appetite. Eat as much as you want, get those nutrients in your body. I’m sure it was lacking while you were drinking. I think you just have to go through this withdrawal period. You are awesome for having 4 days of sobriety. Keep it up and keep posting.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was pretty much just doing basic things in the first fews days of recovery too. I didn't have much mental energy. Keeping busy is a good idea and having a list to focus on should be very helpful.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Congrats on the 4 days of sobriety. Good for you.

I have always done better handling neglected duties by breaking them up into days/weeks.

I tend to try to fix everything at once- I used to do that alot when I was temporarily sober so I could use again as soon as possible.

I'm ramblin...

Good luck. Peace.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Take it easy and congrats on four days Louis.
Once you are feeling physically and mentally stronger then you can tackle what else needs to be done.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Louis,

Totally normal detoxing feelings that are consistent with quitting drinking!!! Congrats on Day 4 !!!! You'll start feeling better as each day passes, promise! I'm on day 6 and today really is the first day I haven't felt like there was a marching band stomping on my head! Gettin' better!

You're doing good! We are all in this together!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Four days is very early yet, give yourself time to get all the toxins out and start repairing yourself. If it worries you, see your doctor. Better safe than sorry. Congrats on four days! Keep adding to it one day at a time.

:ghug3
Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

What you are feeling is totally normal and seems fairly mild the fact that you can go to work indicates you are having a pretty good withdrawl,i am on day 10 of sobriety and like you my appetite is huge which cant be bad take care.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 days! Your symptoms are classic in early withdrawl. Be gentle with yourself, dont worry about the list right now.
Having an appitite is a good thing as long as it's not all junk food. Drink alot of water to help flush the toxins from your body.
Please keep posting.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Louis, I don't have much to add as all the above advice it great. Congrats on day 4. My withdrawls have always included some type of pain. I call mine "fake" pain, my brain trying
to convince me that a pain pill or drink will make me better. It always did too. I've wised up.