Notices

Going to my Dr. today, I want to be honest, but...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to my Dr. today, I want to be honest, but...

I don't want to have to tell him just HOW MUCH I've been drinking since Christmas, since my symptoms started. Does he need to know? Can't I just say I've been drinking too much wine, smoking too many cigarettes and leave it at that? I am thinking he can make an accurate diagnosis just with this information...thanks.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
Does he need to know? Can't I just say I've been drinking too much wine, smoking too many cigarettes and leave it at that?
He will probably ask you "how much is too much?" Just be honest. That is what he is there for. He can then determine which tests to do. I was very honest and told my doctor everthing (it was actually a relief to tell someone). She then did a series of tests to check my liver, kidneys and a bunch of other things. Luckily everything came back normal which really helps with the anxiety of wondering what have I done to myself

Hang in there!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell him exactly how much you have been drinking.

Feelings of guilt, embarrassment, etc. should be ignored, in my opinion, when discussing the future of your physical health with a doctor. This is the one person that should know all the details around your alcohol consumption.

There are many options on how he will help you through the detox, many of which are based on the amount of alcohol your body is able to metabolize on a daily basis.

Just my thoughts, of course, and keep posting!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The best way to get great care and start to heal is by being honest with him Sweetie~ That's his job and he can't do it well if he doesn't know all the details, you know? It could be the difference between what medications he gives you, how much, etc.

Take Care and let us know how it goes!
Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Katie,

You should be absolutely honest with him. You could not tell him something he hasn't heard before. Not to harp but it is your health and this is one time you should not downplay how much you have been drinking.

Good luck
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ok all and thanks. It is very tempting to downplay it, especially since I just had a physical in December and all the tests came back normal. Of course that just was a green light for me to continue to drink MORE. But now that I am having these same symptoms I had a couple of years ago when under a lot of stress and hitting the wine pretty hard, well, I have to address it. I just hope it isn't anything serious. I just hate the thought of having to tell him just how much I've been drinking. At times I think Drs look at people who drink that much with disgust and contempt for doing so. Then again, Drs do deal with this probably a lot. I just don't want him putting "alcoholism" in my chart as insurance companies hold that against you.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Katie,
In todays society with so many alcoholics and addicts rampant, it's no surprise to Doctors anymore. He's not a trained medical person to sit back and judge. He's trained to help in healing you or whatever your ailments are. Because of the deep-seated feeling we have of ourselves, we automatically think everyone else does too. In reality it's just not that way! I encourage you to be completely honest, no holding back and you'll be amazed at the relief you will feel! Remember, Doctors aren't supposed to be touchy/feely. They are there to help our bodies heal. Let us know. Best of luck & honesty.... let it go with you!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nicki nailed it Katie. Such wisdom she has. Honesty with yourself and your doctor is the only way to go. Tell your doctor everything. Your silence is your surrender to that which wants to keep you down.

Katie, your most recent posts show a different side of you. Now I hear a different person than the one I have been hearing for the last couple of days. Now I hear a woman who is taking control of things. A strong woman who was beaten down by a number of things. Now that woman is starting to stand up and fight. Please keep that upbeat attitude.

Please keep posting.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
There's nothing to be gained from hiding the truth Katie. Be as open and honest as you possibly can, that's a necessity in any program of recovery.

I told doctors for many years that I drank "a few" every day. What I didn't tell them was that meant a few 6-packs, a few very large mixed drinks, a few big plastic cups full of wine, etc.

When I finally admitted the truth my doc was able to help me with my alcoholism and give me suggestions for getting my body back to a healthy state.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes...honest....completely honest. My BFs late wife was not honest with her doctor who prescribed chemotherapy for her to battle breast cancer because he did not know the extent of her drinking.....she died because she did not disclose fully.

Please, please, please be honest for the sake of your own health!

Best wishes and hugs! HG
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As always you guys are dead on with such wisdom. I am going to be honest with him and have my appointment in an hour. What is going to be realllllllllllly hard is seeing my therapist at 3 today, as I have downplayed my drinking to her and now have to come clean. She'll probably think I am a big fat liar and I've so wanted to come across as someone who is not an addict, even though I've no problem admitting my addiction to cigarettes. For some reason the booze has been different.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Katie,

Your therapist, like your Dr, is a professional and has seen it all! All you have to do is be honest with her too so she can help you with that part of your recovery.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Liverpool 19

I don't want to have to tell him just HOW MUCH I've been drinking since Christmas, since my symptoms started. Does he need to know? Can't I just say I've been drinking too much wine, smoking too many cigarettes and leave it at that? I am thinking he can make an accurate diagnosis just with this information...thanks.
You have to be totally honest your health is your wealth,you can go for a job interview and say you are more qualified than you are etc and fool them,but if you try and fool a doctor the only one who gets hurt is you so my advice is be totally honest i bet you will be fine.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

There's no reason to lie. He is not there to judge you. He is there cause he has a job to do and that job is to help you get or stay healthy.

If anything would frustrate a doctor, I imagine it is when patients are not honest because then they are making his job harder.

Just be honest with him and if he's a good doctor he'll be honest with you. Good luck...and I hope everything is okay.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

She'll probably think I am a big fat liar and I've so wanted to come across as someone who is not an addict, even though I've no problem admitting my addiction to cigarettes. For some reason the booze has been different.
If she's a good therapist (I assume you're talking about Psychotherapy) she'll understand that people with addictions hide their addictions and she'll understand why you would. Again, be honest...otherwise it's a waste of your time. I know it's easy for me to say from behind a keyboard...but you know it's gotta be true. Doctors and Therapists are there to help you, so let them.

and congrats with passing on the wine the last few days. I've been reading along. Good job.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The only advice I can give: Be 100% honest about your consumption.

What happens when you downplay your intake and the doctor can't/won't prescribe you the medication you really need?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with the "be honest" advice - sounds like you are doing that, with yourself and with your MD and soon with your therapist. I know that "outing myself" to my dr (both my acupuncturist and western dr) was a big motivator in reducing and then stopping the drinking. I even told my western dr to ask me each year if I was drinking.

Good luck! kindbird
Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I've no problem admitting my addiction to cigarettes. For some reason the booze has been different.
Hi Katie,

Booze is different for us because society has taught that the excessive use of it means you have a serious character defect and that we should be ashamed for using so much. In other words, there's something wrong with us and that's why we drink so much. But the exact opposite is the truth.

The answer lies in knowledge. It is pretty much a fact now that alcoholism is a disease of the brain. It is a progressive neurological disease with links to genetics. It can also be acquired if you drink hard enough and long enough.

Shame is a classic feeling that we alcoholics have. I know you have had your share of that feeling. But now is the time to start erradicating that emotion from your mind and your heart. You are onto a great start here. You cannot help that you are an alcoholic, it's a disease. You don't see diabetics feeling shame do you. What about people with heart disease?

So to help with the shame I can offer a book title. It's titled Soul Without Shame by Byron Brown. To educate yourself about alcoholism then read Beyond the Influence by Ketcham and Asbury. Both books helped me immensely. Check them out, I think you'll like them very much.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's also very healthy for you and your sobriety to be honest with your doc and your therapist. By being totally honest with them, they will be able to help you more than if you give them half the story.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Katie,

How did it go with your dr visit?