Notices

These dam smokes

Old 01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

These dam smokes

I am doing good with the drug thing. I really havent thought about it in awhile. Even on paydays it hasnt even really crossed my mind to maybe get high in a few weeks. I dont know why. I dont care why. It just is what it is and I am ok with that.
My mind has moved on to other things "for now".

But these dam smokes have got the death grip on me.
I HAVE to quit. I cant stand them anymore. I hate paying for them. They smell. I am just so tired of them.
But the thought of not smoking really makes me panic.
Like right now I am buggin for a smoke. I dont have any money. But I could easliy get some. I want to throw the patch on tomorrow morning and start a brand new day smoke free. If I go buy a pack now. Its not happening. Then I am thinking if I had just a couple more sigs to smoke the rest of tonight. I would be ready to start tomorrow. And I probably would be. But right now. While I am still awake is driving me nuts.

This is going to be way harder than giving up drugs. I can see it already. And the attitude I get without one for awhile. Its awful.

I guess like anything else. Now is as good a time as any. But I dont feel like that right now.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

When you are ready, you will quit those too. When you decide to make yourself truly healthy, I think all vices with be quit.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Chiynita...

I understand so well what you're talking about!!! I was there a couple days ago while detoxing hard and thought "since I feel like sh-- anyways, might as well quit the smokes at the same time".... Made sense to me. But then I posted & got all the same advice from this forum -- to wait!

Everytime I light up, I feel a loathing for it - but know now isn't the time (just yet)! It's scary to think of life without smokes! I know the battle of the mind we go through with it and it sucks! I've tried before - unsuccessfully. Others have done it and gone through the agitation and cravings, but make it! I'm jealous!

I wish you all the best with either doing in now or not. You will end up quitting eventually.... I have no doubt!!! Best to you!

Nicki
Old 01-20-2009, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am in the same position, gone a few weeks without drinking and want to stop smoking cigarettes. It's an expensive, dangerous and stinking habit and I really want nicotine out of my system. Good luck with quitting, last week I went three days then caved in - pretty stupid but am going to try again.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i'm feel'n you on this one trish...

just the freak'n cost of it alone is insane...

then drive'n all over town look'n for the two'fers (buy one, get one free)

its insanity all over again! ugh!

i'm at the crossroads...

i just have to say, i want it!

surrender

and do it...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

In all my battles with nicotine addiction, one thing I have noticed is that the actual withdrawal is always less severe than I thought it would be and yet the fear of going through it is what always made me put it off another day, another week, another month. I'm always so glad after I finally decide to bite the bullet and deal with the discomfort, which again, usually aint as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Hopefully, this time I will be smart enough and strong enough to never let myself get addicted again.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rusty Zipper View Post
i'm feel'n you on this one trish...

just the freak'n cost of it alone is insane...

then drive'n all over town look'n for the two'fers (buy one, get one free)

its insanity all over again! ugh!

i'm at the crossroads...

i just have to say, i want it!

surrender

and do it...
LOL..Thats me all day.

I refuse to buy a regular priced pack of cigs. I guess thats the whole point of having those B1G1. Tricky B*****ds.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Trish. Im quitting smoking today, Ive got about 5 left in this pack and then that is it. I guess it helps that I simply dont have any money until monday, but Im glad for that. It is ridiculous that I have been sick with a cold and still smoking, I cant wait to be able to breathe again!
Old 01-21-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I chewed tobacco for as long as I drank Trish, those two addictions went so well together. I gave up the nicotine a few months before I sobered up, it's the hardest thing I've ever done and I still have very strong cravings to buy a can and cram my gums full of that crap.

This is what helped me decide to never use tobacco again WhyQuit - the Internet's leading cold turkey quit smoking resource I freaked out after reading some of the stories and looking at the pics. I also used a daily support thread here on SR http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2072361

Nowadays I eat sunflower seeds like a fiend. I guess that's another addiction in itself, but so far it hasn't killed me
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Caved..Whatever.

Try again I guess
Old 01-21-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

(((Trish)))

Dad told me cigarettes are going up 60 cents/pack, so I will have to quit. The last time I tried, I found out it was DEFINITELY harder to give up than the crack (for me, anyway). Everyone I work with, smokes, and smokes my brand. My stepmom and niece, smoke in the house, so it's not like I can not be around it.

My other problem is, despite that I know it's unhealthy, and I NEED to quit, I'm not at the point where I really WANT to quit. However, I'll have to because I won't be able to afford it any more.

I think someone should send us to a nice, sunny beach for a couple of weeks to get through our nicotine withdrawal. Then we could come back, be over the grumpiness, and be all refreshed

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Now is a good time to quit. Those fire safe cigarettes they are implenting are supposed to be bad news, with a lot of people having health problems from them. I have a mild wheezing that I developed that I swear is related to the new cigs.

That whyquit.org site is a good resource. I've used it for inspiration, info, etc in helping quit.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I quit 4 years ago. I still have the last pack I smoked with 5 or six still in there. I know that if I really, really want one, they are there. Nasty as all hell, but there, lol. It helped me get over "OMFG I'm out" panic part of it.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

LOL..If only. I would quit for a trip to the beach. Power of persuassion.
I dont think I want to quit enough to actually do it.
I do want to. But not really.
I am not even really trying. I will get through the first 50 cravings. Which seem like they hit every few minutes. Then I say F it.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mr.MeToo?

trish i know you really cant stand that you smoke and dont lke the addiction and everything but to be perfectly honest, I think smoking probably helps ease your mind and keeps you off the hard . And in all reality if it was me, and I needed the crutch of smoking to keep me off hard I would be MORE than fine with that.

Its just been my experience when I talk with people who try and quit both their DOC and cigs at the same time they usually end up relapsing more than the people who just quit their DOC and don't worry about the cig addiction until much later. Some of them have also told me having the ability to smoke those cigs have helped ease cravings for DOC and been somewhat of a support for them.

Conquer the dragon(crack) breathing down your neck first girl, you can worry about the little annoying fly(Cigs) later down the road.

~~ scott

btw , congrats on getting through paydays without fiending to much or acting on those cravings, that is H U G E ! good work
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi Trish I gave up nearly 4 years ago, I had quit using but made myself sick smoking so much. I set a date to quit used the patches and posted on teh Support forum here that Astro mentioned and these days I don't think about it and ran in a Marathon recently and my body thanks me everday. I smoked for around 40 years.

Kevin
Old 01-21-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

I know what you are saying, Chiynita. Good luck.

My addiction to nicotine is the worst addiction I have ever had. Sometimes I wonder why I describe myself as sober, when I smoke these things all the time. I suppose it's because it isn't a mind altering drug like alcohol or pot.

One thing I have noticed every time I have quit for a while- I'll never be "ready" to quit. I will just have to make a choice and approach it day by day like every other addiction I have had.

I know addicts of all kinds that say that smoking is one of, if not THE hardest addiction they have tried to end.

In that respect, I call myself an active nicotine addict, because that's what I am.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Originally Posted by James13 View Post
I know what you are saying, Chiynita. Good luck.

My addiction to nicotine is the worst addiction I have ever had. Sometimes I wonder why I describe myself as sober, when I smoke these things all the time. I suppose it's because it isn't a mind altering drug like alcohol or pot.

One thing I have noticed every time I have quit for a while- I'll never be "ready" to quit. I will just have to make a choice and approach it day by day like every other addiction I have had.

I know addicts of all kinds that say that smoking is one of, if not THE hardest addiction they have tried to end.

In that respect, I call myself an active nicotine addict, because that's what I am.
I found giving up using drugs and the life that went with it far more difficult, although I did use the same pocess to give up the cigs and ain't looked back.

I often hear people talk it about it being more difficult than giving up smack or booze and find that hard to relate to.

I mention thsi not because I want to argue but because we need (I do anyway) to acknowledge how diffict it was/is to put down the drugs/booze and then leave it down and I see no positives in the comparisions.

Kevin
Old 01-21-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hear you and agree. I am smoking a cigarette right now even though an hour or two ago I said I was cutting back. But my Dr. told me today, worry about the drinking first, the smoking second, and where I am I have to focus on just not drinking.

When I was sober for a couple of years many years ago I quit smoking after six months of not drinking. Too bad I ever picked up either again. Just keep on trying and one of these days you will succeed.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Seems the more I want to stop. The more I smoke. LOL.
I have to stop if I am ever going to get that procedure done. And that there is going o improve alot in my health.
One more person asks me when I am due. LOL..I think its funny tho. You should see their face when I tell them I am not preg. LMAO. Priceless. Gotta love it.