I need someone right now.....

Old 01-20-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Exclamation I need someone right now.....

My friend just called and told me he drove 50 miles drunk .... gambled with lots of money and lost.. he's still drinking now that he is home.... his phone died and he won't charge it up... He could literally fall over dead today....

I can't handle this... I am not very experienced with something like this........ I'm honestly 5 feet away from breaking down and smoking again... or at least breaking something!

What do I do????????????? My nerves are so out of whack right now... I am so angry, hurt, scared, worried, confused, and flat out p*ssed the &!$# off!!!!!

I need someone to be here for me.... I can't handle this...
Old 01-20-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

if breaking something keeps you clean, I say do it; is there someone you can call to come be with you? or someone who can check on the friend for or with you?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Let it go. You are not in control of your friend. He has made and is making his choices and will bear whatever consequences come his way. They are not yours, you are not in control.

What do you do? Nothing IMO.

If you need to let your emotions out, go punch a pillow. Scream and yell in the privacy of your home or car. Let it out. And then turn it over to your HP.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Well... everyone I try to call isn't answering................................ and he lives so far away there really isn't anyone I could call to check on him. It's a waiting game!! I HATE this.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
..discover it.

Originally Posted by Barbara52 View Post
Let it go. You are not in control of your friend. He has made and is making his choices and will bear whatever consequences come his way. They are not yours, you are not in control.

What do you do? Nothing IMO.

If you need to let your emotions out, go punch a pillow. Scream and yell in the privacy of your home or car. Let it out. And then turn it over to your HP.
Agreed.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
..discover it.

I hate worrying THIS much. It is so pointless....................

Completely.

And you're right.. these are HIS consequences, not mine.. Even though I care about him more than anyone else. "Let go or be dragged" ............. I must.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you truly think his life is in danger, you do have the options of calling to local police there and asking them to go check on him. But that is about all you can do.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

PowerWithin,

Keep talking if it helps....we're here! But definitely get out the cr@ppy dishes you hate and start smashing them if it gives you some release. Or put on tennis shoes and go outside and run until you're exhausted. Pound a couch cushion or go to a gym and punch a bag until you can't feel your hands any more. I used to play racquetball -- stand in the middle of the little square room and hit the ball as hard as I could for an hour (burned 500 calories too )

If all of that helps you not to smoke, it's all worth it.

He's on his own journey and you have no right to change it. It's gonna take him some strange places, because of the sad choices he's made. You can't save him from his choices or from what he learns as a result (there's a great line in a book I read once that says 'I didn't want to rob you of your right to make mistakes'...perfect).

Consider whether this stress is worth it, and what you might do starting today to take the focus off him and put it back on YOU - the only person whose life you can control. Do you have a counselor you can work with to help you to break this vicious cycle of thoughts?

Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
..discover it.

No I don't have a counselor, but I really appreciate your words. I really might punch some cushions. Haha, Lord knows I need to burn 500 calories anyway! :P

I'm doing slightly better than I was an hour ago....... I am thinking that what would be best is to not talk to him for a few days.. I honestly don't need ANY of the drama right now.

*hugs*