I could really use some help right now.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could really use some help right now.

As many of you know I am a recovering addict for 3 plus years. I have a history of serious medical issues that are too long to even begin to list. My doctor knows of my addiction problems too. But taking narcotics for pain is part of my treatment sometimes. My doctor put me on percocet this past year in August. He has been weening me off of it as its not been helping. I am off the percocet as of 2 days now. I flushed the rest too. I was hospitalized the week before xmas and was hospitalized again this past week. Im a frequent resident at my local hospital. He tested my urine when they admitted me and it didnt even show up! Now how can that be?!? I swear I was taking the percocet! Strange that an addict has to swear that I was even taking it. I dont think he believes me.

Anyway he put me on 600mg of neurontin and 75mg of Lyrica and 40mg of paxil. Ugh I feel so lethargic. I have absolutely no energy to move or get off the couch, BUT BY GOODNESS, the pain is gone for the most part! YAYAYAY!

So my questions are these: Is any of these habit forming and is anyone else taking these medications. I really want to know how you feel being on these medications. Or if anyone has any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

((GwenMarie))

I don't know about the Lyrica..I've heard it can be very helpful for some people (like with fibromyalgia) and others it didn't help. I've taken the neurontin and it does make you sleepy but works GREAT for nerve pain and I will take it over narcotics when my sciatic pain flares up in my back. The paxil is an anti-d, so though it's not something that you'd normally have to worry about being "addicted" to, you don't want to stop it without your dr's advice, either, because some anti-d's need to be tapered.

This isn't medical advice, just my experience, as another recovering addict. My stepmom also takes neurontin and after being on it for a while, it no longer makes her sleepy.

I'm glad you are getting relief from the pain, without the narcotics.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by GwenMarie30 View Post
As many of you know I am a recovering addict for 3 plus years. I have a history of serious medical issues that are too long to even begin to list. My doctor knows of my addiction problems too. But taking narcotics for pain is part of my treatment sometimes. My doctor put me on percocet this past year in August. He has been weening me off of it as its not been helping. I am off the percocet as of 2 days now. I flushed the rest too. I was hospitalized the week before xmas and was hospitalized again this past week. Im a frequent resident at my local hospital. He tested my urine when they admitted me and it didnt even show up! Now how can that be?!? I swear I was taking the percocet! Strange that an addict has to swear that I was even taking it. I dont think he believes me.

Anyway he put me on 600mg of neurontin and 75mg of Lyrica and 40mg of paxil. Ugh I feel so lethargic. I have absolutely no energy to move or get off the couch, BUT BY GOODNESS, the pain is gone for the most part! YAYAYAY!

So my questions are these: Is any of these habit forming and is anyone else taking these medications. I really want to know how you feel being on these medications. Or if anyone has any info would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know anything about those, a quick look and I didn't see anything about them being habit forming. I have been on paxil before it helped a little. Just wanted to throw some hugs your way though.. :ghug3
Old 01-19-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I do take all that is perscribed and on time. They didnt send me home with any info whatsoever. Im on my own in this it seems. I dot get sleepy anymore either with the neurontin. I just have a very lethargic feeling with no energy. I couldnt take a nap if I wanted to. I do sleep very well at night too. I will do a google search and visit the pain mngmt forum. Thanks for the refrence. I have read other thread in mental health that if they uped the mg of Lyrica that it could boost the energy level. I Have an appointment this week as a follow up from my stay at my second home.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Okay Gwen.

Neuronton and Lyrica are not addictive. They are for neuropathic pain and work extremely well. I take 1200mg of neuronton 300 4x a day for the neuropathic pain. Lyrica also works well for that and was developed originally for fibromialgal (sp?) folks. Paxil is a mild anit depressant and used as prescribed is not additive.

The lethargy will leave, honest and you not only feel more like doing stuff, but will have less pain.

Neurontin btw was developed as an anti seizure drug, but the neurologists have found that its works very well on controlling the nerves that send the pain signals.

So calm down sweetie, relax, the lethargic feeling will leave, and then......................look out world Gwen will be on the move!!!!!! lol

Call if you need or want to.

Love and hugs,
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Laurie. I will be calling you later tonight when the boy is calm and settled down so I can talk. I really need to talk.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Ok I'll be here, lol

luv you,