questions

Old 01-19-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question questions

my partner has been placed on a locked ward due to his mood being so low and he is starting to withdraw from heroin, they have given him

loperomide
stemnoal

and something called lethaxdene........ cany anyone tell me what this is xxx
Old 01-19-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

not much to be honest, i put him out last week because i could not take anymore, i know that he is in a safe place just now and is being treated medically for his addiction, they are also talking about starting him on a methadone programme once the withdrawel eases for him, he is having a really rough time and i have just been to visit, i had to get out of there as he is grumpy, he looks like death warmed up and is actually grey in colour, i have never seen him like this before and i am worried sick, he looks just awful, he is very warm
Old 01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As you said he is in a safe place right now and is being taken care of. Every time you think about him and how he is doing promise me that the next thought will be about you, how, and what you are doing. A good thing might be to recite the "Serenity Prayer" if the thoughts about him become overwhelming.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i got the right name of the medication its lofexadine, they are waiting untill the morning as he is being very very sick with loose bowels, the doctor reakons he wont keep it down, this is the worst withdrawel i have ever seen him go through and it scared me to death when i saw him today. I cried all the way home, i am doing okay and being on her helps to vent out the feelings i have, i am also righting a word document with all my feelings and thoughts, just for myprivate use but that helps too, i have so muchg her to keep me busy at times, i have our son, a dog, a house and work all to contend with as well as the worry of him on my shoulders, i think i will go treat myself to a nice massage next week to de stress andi have just booked a weekend trip to amsterdam with the girls to get away at the end of march. I will try to keep myself busy as i can so i am not thinking about it every two mins, i will just keep calling hospital to see how he is. He has a review tomorrow and i am going to push for methadone, i feel it is pointless in him going through this withdrawel only to be putout with nothing and end up using again, see it is a locked ward for people with mental health problems and not a detox unit as such, they are doing everything they can to keep him comfertable and stable at the min and the ggod things is because he is so ill they wont let him walk out. A Dr has to review that and could actually detain him for 48 hrs. So what i need to know is how to i go about pushing the methadone script, what should i say to them, should i ask t b e there at the review and meet with the DR>
Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why do YOU have to push the methadone script? The more we codies interfere in our addicts recovery, the more we try to "help" them get better, the more we take away their power to get better.

i am going to push for methadone, i feel it is pointless in him going through this withdrawel only to be putout with nothing and end up using again
It's really not about what you feel is good for him. It's about what he wants. This is his recovery Sadie. You can't save him anymore than anyone else on this website can save their loved ones from addiction.

All you can do is draw boundaries (ie. I don't want to be around people who use drugs) and enforce them (therefore I will not allow you in my life if you use drugs).

The choice is up to him...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i understand what your saying and it has made me think the i just feel he is no frame of mind with his withdrawel to be making those choices, his confiednce is at an all time low and i am worried that they will help him withdraw then put him out and not give him anything thus ending back on that **** xx
Old 01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If he is not ready to quit, he can abuse the methadone. So maybe it is better to let him and his doctors decide what he needs for now. Hugs, Marle
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yeah your both right, i will back off and let them maket he choices, they know whats best i suppose. HE is ready to quit and wants it so badly, i will just let him know that i am there for him...It is so hard as a loving partner who has someone going through this, i wish i had a magic wand to make it all better for him,
Old 01-19-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree with the above posts. He is perfectly capable to think for himself. As he detoxes and gets treated for his mental illness he mind will clear. Methadone is an even more addictive drug and worse withdrawal coming off of it. I don't believe in Methadone as a treatment option. It's another opiate and it's horrible! Read about Methadone first. Support him as needed but detach yourself from his problem for now. That's all you can do. I know it is hard and if I had a magic wand I would pass it to everyone here on SR. LOL!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree... Methadone can be abused just as badly as any drug. Combining it with other drugs can be deadly.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ok...I am not sure I can help out, but I will give it a try. The drug names differ from country to country and many drugs available in your country may not be available here. the first drug is probably what we in the states call loperamide or brand name Imodium. They are using that for loose stools. The drug stemnoal..I have never heard of..if you get me the proper spelling I can help you. Lofexidine is for the physical wihdraw..it is like methadone but not an opiate so it lacks the addictive properties. It is an alpha agonist. The other drug maybe what we in states call naltrexone as they are typically used togther. Hope that helps. I just happen to work in this area..
Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

well he has just called me and demanded that i being him up money, he wanted to come out for a couple of hours, said it was to see me, does he think i am zipped up the flaming back, he wants the money to buy that crap, i can now see how much he is NOT going to change. Called me a bitch and everything, so i have written him a letter nad hopefully he will get it the morn just basically saying not to call me again and that he moeny has gone and been spent. Cause i just have spent it, if there is no money he cannot hassle me for it. i am bloody raging
Old 01-20-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The most freeing sentence which i have only very recently learned to use is NO. Nothing else, no explanations, no apologies, just No. Sadie, dont even pick up the phone for a while - he'll just try to manipulate you - he knows you and what makes you tick. Right now he is angry and yelling - the next phone call may be sweet and apologetic, talking about recovery but both tactics are meant to manipulate you. My son will flip from tactics to make me feel guilt, anger, sympathy, loss - but every emotion he has learned to pull out of me is typically used to make me do what he wants - he knows the words to say. Once i said No and stopped responding, visiting, providing unnecessaries, or answering the phone he figured out that i was no longer a willing participant in his game.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

he has already called and even deined swearing at me, the mans head is up his rear end.... he is getting me angry now, i know longer feel sad that he is out of my life just sheer anger for all the hassle he has put me through and is still doing. We sold the car as he lost his lience so we halfed the money, he gave me his half to keep but is now harrassing me for it so i swear to god i have spent every single penny on stuff for me and our son. He is not getting that money to smoke into thin air and get wasted. When he is well and recovered i will give him it back. Well at least for now he cant hassle me anymore as he knows it all gone. Why is he ripping into me, what have i done to deserve this... i said to him on the phone that all he is doing is pushing me further away and he said he did not care anymore... hearing that ripped right through me and made me so upset... He knows how to wind me up and push my bttons, i told him i knew he was lying and he said you dont know me... and guess what he is right i dont know who is just now.... i am refusing to visit him or take his calls... i will however call the hospital to see how he is doing but will not be speaking to him
Old 01-20-2009, 12:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well he got out of hospital and turned up at my door, looking really ill demanding money, police were called and he was told 3 times to leave, but he kept coming back, he eventually left but with £60.... i have told him to never come near me again, i am going to hold on to my anger from now on so he comes no where near me and i dont listen to his manipulation tactics... i am truley heart broken and i know form tongiht i have lost him for good now
Old 01-20-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Sadie, what can you do? Can you file a restraining order? What do they call that in Scotland? Basically you just gave him money to buy dope. I hope it was enough to keep him away for ever but he will probably keep coming back as long as he knows you feel sorry for him and will be a resource for him. He's not a sane man and I fear you are in danger.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

what was i meant to do he was not going to give up, he got what he wanted and he knows he getting no more. he has been warned, what elese am i meant to do, i wont be answering the door to him again nor the phone, my numbers have all been changed tonight by the network providers, i am trying to cut ties and it is plain awful. He would never physically hurt me, he never hsa and that is something i never ever have worried about, he would not do that he is not that sort of person.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sadie,
I hope you are right. Go back and read your posts. :praying
Never say Never. An addict in desperation will do/use any means possible to get what they want/need. If he wore you down for money this time he will try again. Stay strong and say and MEAN NO!

Prayers to you.