More advice needed

Old 01-19-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Im Clean Today

More advice needed

What do we do when out Sig other wants us to use pills?:wtf2 My wife is always telling me to get back on Vicodin. Saying she misses the really energetic me?? I am still energetic. Took a week or 3 but I am sorta back to normal. We even had a few fights about me using again and she wants me to. As I read through the posts I dont see anything about the Spouse wanting the other to use when she herself has never used (smoked pot with me every once in awhile but nothing more than that)

I try telling her I had a "baby addiction" only taking 8 pills a day (because of the Tylenol factor) Most I took was 10 in a 24 hour period..And eventually I will be popping 20 to 30 pills a day. She said "The you will super extra energy"? She is not dumb for sure but maybe because I am taking time out for myself now a days has her worried?? She knows I aint going no where (unless Gillian Anderson asks me to marry her), so again I am not going anywhere.

The temptation I get from saying it is ok to use makes it even harder to stay clean (yet I am still holding on)...She know peple have died from taking to many pills and she is not joking anymore because we fight about it, so I know she is not joking.

Any advice? Thanks in advanced!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Get a medical professional to give you the cold hard facts on your addiction, and pre-arrange it so that he/she pulls no punches: Have the Dr explain in no uncertain terms that the end result of our addiction is jails, institutions or death. Also arrange to have your SO in the room when this is said.

I don't know how tough that'll be but I would try it.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I quit taking pills boy did my energy levels drop. Explain to your wife that its only temporary and your energy will return it just takes some time for your brain to get back to normal and make its own endorphins again which the pills took over. I felt so bad cause I had NO energy and my fiance complained about it ALOT. But I stuck to it and eventually it came back. Takes time. Do you exercise? Vitamins? B-12 helps some. I wouldnt go back to the pill hell because of her its your problem your addiction yours to deal with and feel good about quitting cause it isnt easy.

Just keep on the right track and your energy will eventually return this isnt permanent.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...oxycontin.html

I hope I did that right. I have your wife read this thread and maybe she wont want you to take those little pills after all......
Old 01-19-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
We slide into that role of caretaking and martyrdom nicely. We need to be needed, it’s what codies do. When the addict fixes themselves, OMG we have to find something/someone else that needs fixing and sometimes we go to the extent of sabotaging the addicts recovery to fill that need.
You just hit the nail on the head cynical one...

((((lugnut)))))

My prayers are with you and your wife...

I don't mean this to be harsh but it sounds to me like your wife is very codependent.. she may not intentionally be wanting to sabotage your sobriety but thats just what she is doing for the very reasons that cynical one listed above..

I remember from previous posts that you stated that your wife was not exactly open to AL Anon.. unfortunately you cannot make her go to Al Anon anymore then she could make you go to NA if she was the addict.. but maybe you could try suggesting it again, or even invite her to an open NA meeting.. I used to be a lot like your wife and going to open AA/NA meetings really opened my eyes to addiction and I saw so much of myself in the addicts and alcoholics just by sitting back and listening.

above all else... keep the focus on you and your sobriety... You are the most important person in your life... In time your wife will either have two choices, she can accept your new way of life and get help for her own codependency issues or she will continue to travel on the path she is walking down...either way is up to her...
Old 01-19-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerect View Post
I saw so much of myself in the addicts and alcoholics just by sitting back and listening.
When my daughter was in rehab I found a spent a lot more time with the substance abusers than the family members. I had already been working on myself for about six months and the other family members hadn't started yet. Most of the substance abusers were repeats, it wasn't their first dance, and they were actively working the steps.

I kept wondering why I preferred their company during breaks over other family members, and it hit me hard when the answer came to me -- I was just like them but my DOC was my daughter.

lugnut, all I can suggest (beside the one about inviting her to a meeting) is to say the same thing my daughter says to her father: I have to keep working on me, I can't help you work on you.