Notices

Hello

Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hello everyone, I’m new posting here but have read your posts sporadically over the past year or so as I struggle with alcoholism. It is nice to see the support you have for each other.

I woke up this morning feeling bad again, and told myself again that this was going to end. I pray today is really the day.

I have been drinking regularly for the past 15 years. Unless there is some reason why I can’t drink, like if I’m staying at my parents’ or a friend’s house or something, I’ll have between 6 and 8 beers and 3 shots of vodka, every night between around 7pm and 11pm. I have no desire to drink during the day and have been able to maintain relationships and jobs without much trouble. I just have a bad habit of drinking to pass out at night.

I make excuses to myself to allow this to continue, but I know that alcohol is causing health problems both mental and physical. I do honestly desire sobriety and know that I need help to achieve it.

Anyway, I’ve got a few days off of work and am going to try tonight without alcohol. I should have done this long ago, wish me luck.

Mike
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome North.
If you have been coming here for a year you know that this is a great place to come for support. Posting is a HUGE step and you have taken it. You can do it if you decide that that is what you want and it sounds like you have finally made that decision. Good luck. It isn't easy.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome...

Please be careful about de toxing from alcohol on your own.
It's a medical issue and can be dangerous.
Checking with your doctor is a wise move.

We have info and some of our experiences as a sticky
post on the Alcoholism Forum. You might want to read it.
"Quitting-What to expect"

Glad your making this decision...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to our family Mike! I'm glad you're here. You can stay sober, just don't drink for today. Take your sobriety one day at a time and you can make it.

:ghug3
Old 01-18-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I agree with Carol. I would suggest asking a doctor about how to safely quit drinking. I needed medical help cause I had severe withdrawal symptoms. Stay safe and keep posting here. You will find lots of support here .
Old 01-18-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Good luck! Welcome!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-18-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike, I could have wrote your story although add 20 years to the habit. I hope that you let you doctor give you a hand. You can get past those first few days a little easier if you have some supportive medical help.

You'll get there, we'll all get there, to the sober side.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

I am glad that you recognize that you want to change your life.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike! Best decision you will ever make!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. I agree with what Carol and others have said, see your doctor. If you have been drinking 9-11 drinks every night for an extended period of time chances are going cold turkey is going to stress your heart and nervous system. Your doctor can prescribe medication to relieve that stress and prevent potential damage to your health.

Use the forum, it's a wonderful tool to help you in your quest for sobriety. I wish you the best on your journey. Peace.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcomes everyone, I appreciate your kind words and advice. I've been reading the What to Expect thread as suggested by Carol. Some scary stories over there. I'll definitely get medical help if things get rough. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike - Keep posting.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR Mike!

Glad you are here and ready to make a positive change in your life!

Read and post as much as you need!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Mike,

Thanks for your post!!! There's a lot of support here for you. I remember when my drinking was so similar to yours (not having a desire to drink during the day & drinking to pass out).... I thought that was bad enough and it sent me to rehab a few times. As time when on & drinking continued, my drinking changed & I crossed that "invisible line" to drinking on the job, then.... around the clock & throughout the night. I became a massage therapist - self employed - & that increased my binge drinking to weeks at a time & would stop, get well, work a little.

Okay... the reason why I mentioned this is you have a desire to stop drinking & your health is going south. You don't have to go down an increased self depleting road anymore... cuz, I promise you, it will only get worse!!! Hang in there. You have tons of support here. Keep posting the good, bad & ugly.... just don't drink no matter what today!!!! We'll be here for you!

Hugs, Nicki:ghug2
Old 01-18-2009, 04:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mike - like Nicki I graduated from weekend drinking to every night drinking & finally to 24/7 drinking in the end. It was never enough, & I couldn't even get a night's sleep without reaching for a drink during the night to stop the shakes. You're right to stop this habit of every night before it inevitably turns into an uncontrollable train wreck. You never have to go through the hell some of us have. You sound determined and have a great attitude. Please let us know how you're doing.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Mike, we are here for you.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome! Keep reading and posting!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hello again - Thanks for everyone's comments. I have to tell you, last night was rough. I got a last minute invite to a bbq and decided to go. Of course there was beer and wine, but I was able to not drink at all. I made up an excuse about having something planned later that evening and didn't I want to be buzzed. Seemed to work pretty well, no one questioned it.

Anyway, I got home around 8:30 and started to have an anxiety/panic attack as soon as I got home. I was feeling fine sober around other people, but could not sit still once I was at home alone. Maybe it is living alone that is driving me crazy. I've decided I needed medical assistance to help quit and I promised myself I would go see my doctor as soon as I can.

Got a date this afternoon, so I have to go. I'll post with updates.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Resident

Good job yesterday and good luck at the doctors. I wish I could have a BBQ. In some places it is winter but it never snows in California I guess.