Notices

Big night for me tonight, going to see Metallica, SOBER.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Big night for me tonight, going to see Metallica, SOBER.

Yup, been waiting for this concert for a while and I'm really looking forward to it. It's a big night for me because Metallica (aka Alcoholica) has been a part of my life since 1983 and I've seen them live so many times, and every time I would get loaded as a part of the experience but all that has changed. I'm no longer drunk and neither is James Hetfield, the lead singer. I feel proud of him, and proud of myself. I'd like to thank him more than anything. As anyone who has read my posts knows, James Hetfield has been my primary motivation and inspiration to get to the point where I am right now (106 days) and tonight I'll be hearing songs (That Was Just Your Life, The End of the Line) live tonight that directly motivated me to start out on the road to recovery. It's gonna be emotional and it's going to be a another first for me (gong to a Metallica show without drinking) to add to my list of firsts since quitting drinking. I don't feel scared or anxious about drinking tonight, I know I won't but it's not lost on me what a big night this is for me and more than anything I'm glad I'm going as a sober person on the road to recovery.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I hope you have an AWESOME time!! That is fabulous! Please post tomorrow and let us know how it went!

(p.s. I'm super jealous! I've never seen them in concert.)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

That's awesome! I saw them at Day On The Green in '85 in Oakland, CA. I believe it was after the release of Ride the Lightning.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

They were my first concert ever when I was 13.
James and I have the same Bday.

Have fun and great job. Keep it up!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That's wonderful, Getr - my favorite is "And nothing else matters" (may be too much of a chick tune?) Interviews with Hetfield really helped me decide to face my addiction. Have a lovely, sober time - and no hangovers or remorse the next day.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Go and have a good time! I got to see them last August and they were great! I was also sober and remember all of the show.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

There will be at least two sober people in the house.

You and James.

You two share a bond.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
That's wonderful, Getr - my favorite is "And nothing else matters" (may be too much of a chick tune?) Interviews with Hetfield really helped me decide to face my addiction. Have a lovely, sober time - and no hangovers or remorse the next day.
Believe it or not, Nothing Else Matters was our wedding song.

Should be very emotional if and when it's played tonight. The lyrics are just as relevant now as they were then and I'm really looking forward to doing the "bend and sway" with the wife tonight while listening to that beautiful song.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I'm thinking about throwing my AA coin up on stage for James tonight. I'll be close enough to do it if I want to. Bands always throw things to the crowd like picks and stuff and sticks after the show, I wonder how often people throw things (besides bras and panties) up on stage. Chances are, he'd never even see it, let alone get it, I mean he probably wouldn't but I feel like I owe him my sobriety coin and in the same way that Lesra Martin sent Rubin Hurricaine Carter his high school diploma in jail because Lesra said it rightfully belonged to him, I feel my coin belongs to James, and without him it would not be possible. Maybe I'll pen up a little note along those lines and stick that and the coin in an envelope, and mark the envelope: To James With Gratitude
Old 01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey getr

That's awesome... Some of my favorite musical artists are recovering, and of course Hetfield is one. It really inspires me too.

Have a great show!

Mark
Old 01-18-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It will be a great accomplishment to see them sober I think and you will probably get things out of it that you didnt when you under the influence. Have a good time.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Have a great time tonight and Congrats on your sober time.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
sct

Have an awesome time! And post your feedback- I'm going to go see them next week in Chicago
Old 01-18-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

It's good to see Metallica getting back to their thrashy roots. Cliff would like that.

Hope you have a great time at the show. Congratulations on the sober time, and congrats you can do this show sober. (Post some pics!)

Much love.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Have a great time!

I just picked my son up from a weekend with his dad. We listened to his new CD on the way home:

Metallica, Death Magnet
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

Im sooo Jealous..... thats sooo great . I had a chance to see um , this is yrs back .. It wa some kind of big huge show . And I didnt get to go cuz i drank all my money and could come up with enuff for the ticket .. rock on dude .... sounds like a wonderful time ..
Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I hope you have an amazing time and congratulations on your sober time =)
Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Dismember

I hope they're still playing "Battery" and "Trapped Under Ice."

Have fun at the show!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by getr345 View Post
Maybe I'll pen up a little note along those lines and stick that and the coin in an envelope, and mark the envelope: To James With Gratitude
getr that is awesome! I'm proud of you (and James too). Have you seen "Some kind of monster" documentary? Good stuff. I have seen Metallica three times, my ex used to play in a band that covered tons of Metallica tunes... my personal fave "for whom the bell tolls" it's a classic.

Have fun, let us know how it was
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

That concert was AMAZING!!

What can I say? It was Metallica running on all cylinders, just incredible.

James sounded really good and they played whole songs, not skipping any parts like they've done in the past much to my dismay. They played "And Justice For All" (the song) in it's entirety!! As the song was starting, James was saying "do you people even know what song this is? What's the name of it?"...like he actually thought some people might not know. lol...

It was just so nice to really enjoy the show sober. To get home and not be all boozed up after having driven home drunk in a snow storm. It was such an important night for me in my recovery and I really feel grateful to have Metallica music in my life and grateful for the fact that my long ago chosen musical hero (Hetfield) got his life together and got sober because we all now that is not usually what happens to rock stars. So nice that my hero sets such a good example and can help so many people through not just his music but through his sobriety.

I'll get some pictures up soon.