Language of Letting Go - January 18 - Gratitude

Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - January 18 - Gratitude

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Gratitude

Sometimes in life, things happen too fast. We barely solve one problem when two new problems surface. We're feeling great in the morning, but we're submerged in misery by nightfall.

Every day we face interruptions, delays, changes, and challenges. We face personality conflicts and disappointments. Often when we're feeling overwhelmed, we can't see the lessons in these experiences.

One simple concept can get us through the most stressful of times. It's called gratitude. We learn to say, thank you, for these problems and feelings. Thank you for the way things are. I don't like this experience, but thank you anyway.

Force gratitude until it becomes habitual. Gratitude helps us stop trying to control outcomes. It is the key that unlocks positive energy in our life. It is the alchemy that turns problems into blessings, and the unexpected into gifts.

Today, I will be grateful. I will start the process of turning today's pain into tomorrow's joy.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Gratitude has gotten me through some tough moments with a good attitude. It sounds silly to be grateful for the lesson when things go wrong, but hindsight has shown me how valuable all that is...now that I am paying attention.

Something that gets me through the daily annoyances, more frustrating than troublesome, is to say "If THIS is the worst thing that happens to me today, then Thank You God."

Life has been good to me, recovery has given me the ability to see the beauty in every single day. Am I grateful? You betcha!!

Just for today I will let my attitude be gratitude.

Hugs
Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Gratitude has been one of the most important tools in my toolbag..
when I am wrapped up a little too much in myself, looking around and taking stock and reminding myself of what I have to be grateful for, can have me back on track and focused in a heartbeat.
Gratitude has allowed me to see the gifts; the silver lining in some of the greatest tests in my life....
yes, gratitude is surely my friend...