Notices

Non Alcoholic Beer.......

Old 01-17-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Non Alcoholic Beer.......

Quit drinking 45 days ago but have been drinking Non Alcoholic Beer for the sensation..............Does that count as beer?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Non alcoholic beer has a very small amount of alcohol in it.
And alot will probably say that is playing with fire.
Its still the same action.
What happens when you want the full sensation?
Good luck with that tho.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I drank it occasionally last summer. When I'd go to restaurants or (sometimes) bars I simply preferred it to sodas, which tend to give me a stomach ache. I never used beer to get drunk--I couldn't--so for me there wasn't a strong association with the n/a stuff and thoughts of getting drunk. I don't feel it triggered me. I don't drink it now simply because I don't go out, and I don't like the flavor enough to justify buying it for home.

That said, pretty much every other alcoholic I've ever listened to on this matter said the non-alcoholic stuff either lead them back into drinking, or just make them consider it so badly to a point where it nearly lead them off the wagon.

And yes, it's beer. It's a different kind of beer. It's a beer that might not addict, make you do things you regret, cause hangovers, etc. But it's beer to be sure. So I wouldn't go two far separating the two because all us addicts like to make excuses for ourselves (i.e., "I could drink regular beers again, since I've gotten in the habit of only having a couple n/a kinds.")
Old 01-17-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BKP

It's all good to drink NA beers but it is tempting to go back to the others.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yah I would stay away from that stuff. Something might get triggered and you'll be off again. I sometimes think about using that as a replacement but I remember something I read in one of my booze books that says it's just a substitute. I didn't drink from '86 to '96 and near the end of that time I started drinking Sharp's. Well I think that tied with some other things going on in my life led me to drinking the real thing. That began 12 years of drunkery. That's just my take, your experience may be different.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will drink it if I'm out to dinner, but not at home. I don't like how it reminds me of where I've been. My abusive drinking was always at home.

Mark
Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My experience is that in the past when I've had significant sober time and I started drinking NA beer, the NA beer lead me right back to the real stuff.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Non alcoholic wine

I've had a similar issue with non alcoholic wine.

In the beginning it's good to have a glass that looks like what everyone else is drinking. You feel like you're part of the crowd etc.

However, it's so very easy to transition back to the real thing...as I found out.

These days, I don't even use wineglasses.

So, my advice would be don't drink NA beer because it will make it harder for you to give up in the long run.

BB
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 45 days and in my opinion no alcohol beer doesn't count as drinking.
However, even though some don't contain any alcohol whatsover, I have always looked on it as playing a dangerous game and I don't touch it.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi susie and thanks for the post..

No ive never drank it........bit like teasing the monster.... imo.

Ive just asked my wife whether she would like some sugar free chocolate............."torture" she said......lol.

Still if your happy with it and it 0% al then i guess its up to you.

But for me it would start that mental obsession........leading to a physical compultion to get rat faced................trucker..
Old 01-18-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!
Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I couldn't ever do that, I wouldn't want to flirt with alcohol. There is a small amount of alcohol in it (which is why kids can't order it!). When I quit drinking, and since being sober, I don't want anything that reminds me of alcohol (or has any in it). I like sprite now
Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I drink it from time to time and I've never felt that it made me desire the real thing, in fact, if anything, it's always had the opposite effect. Yes, there is a trace amount of alcohol in it (in the US, the UK manufactures truly alcohol free beer), and in some (but not all) states you still have to be 21 to buy it. However, there is no federal law regulating it's sale. Orange juice has been found to contain about the same trace alcohol content, which occurs by natural fermentation, about one third of a percent. For me, I can buy a 6-pack, drink one or two, and let the rest sit in the fridge for extended periods of time. With the real thing, I could never let that happen. Now, if I was sitting around all day drinking near beers, wishing they were the real thing, I wouldn't touch them. But, for me, I haven't found that to be the case.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

I drank non-beer 10 years ago and then relapsed hard. It's not a suggestion I'd support because of personal experience. True, hard-core alkies are just set up for the fall with these temptations. Just my thoughts.

hugs, nicki :wtf2
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

if it works for you then why not?
Old 01-18-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

If you are drinking non-alcohol beer (which has alcohol in it) for the 'sensation'. IMHO you have not quit drinking.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Don't know how bad you're drinking became, but most everyone here has somewhat agreed on this. When I was trying not to drink, or use other things, the obsession was still there. I had been out of my first rehab for about a year, then IT happened. We were having a crawfish boil (YES WE LIVE IN THE DEEP SOUTH) and my association of beer and cfb came to a head. I resorted to near beer, it didn't work, by the time I was into my third one I had a friend start filling the near beer bottle with real beer so I could sneak it past my wife. I only told her about that today (when I remembered it), and that happened nearly 15 years ago. All I can offer is my experience, and it's one of complete obsession and dependence. Don't play with fire and expect not to get burned...........

DON'T GIVE UP OR QUIT TRYING!!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 12:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
On the path to self discovery

Ive been sober for 9 months, For the past 4 months I drink an average of two N/A beers a week. I never have more than one at a time. It satisfies my urge if I get triggered. If you are drinking 8 at a time to get drunk, then what is the point? You might as well have a 'real' beer and say your still drinking. But personally, I have not had an issue with having N/A beer. For me, knowing that I have just one and do not 'flip the switch' that makes me want to have another is key. Whatever works for you... but you say you want it for the 'sensation' and have 45 days? At 45 days if I had picked it up for the sensation it might of been different... Im not looking for a buzz.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Question

Originally Posted by Redheadsusie View Post
Quit drinking 45 days ago but have been drinking Non Alcoholic Beer for the sensation..............Does that count as beer?

..IMO..playing with fire..starts out a small flame..suddenly...bang!!!

IMO....but welcome..
Old 01-28-2010, 01:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

guys...
this thread is a year old...not that that will stop anybody....LOL

D