Notices

How Do I Stop Drinking?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Do I Stop Drinking?

Hi, everyone. I first found this site almost 3 years ago...luckily, I was able to retrieve my passowrd and username, so I didn't have to re-register. I have got to stop drinking. I love the feeling drinking gives me...but for some time now my stomach has really been giving me grief. It ruined this last holiday for me...I don't get knock down drunk: but in the evening time I'll pour me a generous amount of whatever liquor I have on hand: gin, whisky, rum usually. As the years have passed, I keep making the drink stronger...and now my gut aches all the time...the ache is on my left side, just under my ribs. I notice that when I manage to lay off drinking a bit, it starts feeling better. Then I'll go back to my routine and in a day or so it starts kicking in again. I'm scared to death about it: so afraid to tell my doctor about it. I hate admitting what I have done to myself...
Have any of you had symptoms like mine? Is there a chance I could recover, or is it too late for me? I'm terrified of the responses I'll get...Once I looked up AA in my area, and it was confusing...the meeting places kept changing. I know I need help...Anyway, I made my way back here...I want to stop drinking. I managed to quit a long time smoking habit: I dohave emphysema now though. I'm now afraid of what my drinking has done to me...Debbie
Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Obviously we can't give any medical advice, but in a book I was just reading about the physical effects of alcoholism, trouble with the pancreas was noted as causing pain in the left side.. liver trouble on the right, under the ribs. Pancreatitis and liver disease are pretty well known as being caused by drinking (and of course other things too).

Might want to see a doc, some things can get better.. some things can't.

Hope it's nothing serious, just please stop drinking
Old 01-17-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

First congrats on making it back here.
Second I think that you should see your doctor and say what you have said here. It may or may not be because of the drinking and you should get checked out.
Good luck and welcome back.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The body has an amazing ability to heal itself, if you don't push it past the point of no return. You need to be honest with your doctor. Only a doctor can properly assess your condition and what it the best course of treatment. In addition, it is dangerous to go cold turkey from alcohol if you have been consuming large amounts of alcohol over an extended period of time; you should detox under medical supervision, even if it is outpatient.

Welcome and I wish you the best on your journey towards sobriety. Making the decision to be sober is the best decision you can make to improve your quality of life!
Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How do you stop drinking? Well I know that talking to other alcoholics helps me a lot. They have the perspective I want when it comes to drinking. i don't feel ashamed when I talk to them. So keep coming back here to post and read. Perhaps put up with the weird AA meeting stuff because it may be the only thing out there that can help you with this.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I am not a drinker.
But being an addict I am sure isnt much different.
How to stop? Well..Just stop. Its staying stopped thats the tough part.
Find a network of sober people. Go to meetings. Go to outpatient rehab.
Come here. Work hard at staying sober.
Make that your number one priority.
Glad you are here.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hey debbie...i agree with the others...you need to check with a doctor...your pain could be a symptom of many things...only the doctor will be able to figure it out...but be honest with them...if you do that i think you will be on your way...i found honesty and asking for help were the two things that helped me to stop drinking...and keep from picking up today..best of luck to you..stick around this is a great place....
Big hugs,
Lisa
Old 01-17-2009, 06:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Debbs,

I'm glad you decided to post.

There is lots of good advice here already, so I'll just say Welcome!
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, everyone. Thanks for responding to my post. I didn't drink last night, and today i feel a little better. I pray I haven't permanently damaged some internal organ...I am going to try and stop drinking for a month: and see how I am feeling then. If I still have stomach pain, I'll go get it checked out. I need to do this regardless of how I feel in a month anyway...I'm long over do for a check up. Sleeping is hard without having that drink under my belt, but I'm going to stick it out. I also might try going to an AA meeting...Anyway, I am going to be a regular here from now on...I know I can't do it alone. I haven't felt any severe symptoms like shaking, etc...I do feel more irritable, and depressed. I know drinking was masking my depression big time. Anyway, thanks agin...I'm sure you'll see me posting here from time to time...Debbie
Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Debbie! YOu can stay sober if you just don't drink for today. Stay sober one day at a time. An honest talk with your doctor would be a good idea and they can decide what tests you need to have done to check your overall health. Keep coming back!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...

Please don't wait a month to see your doctor.
If you feel you can't be honest with your own
go to another internest ..but you gotta be honest
so proper test can be done.

Debbie..it's being foolish to wait and see.

While your there...you can also check about how
to de tox safely.
Are you saying you only have 1 drink a night?
...How many ounces?

Here is a link..hope these tips help you sleep

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/

They probably will not work until you are de toxed.

Please keep posting...
Old 01-18-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Thanks Debbs for posting.

Yeah, I've been there (more than once & again now)!!!! I remember the 1st time telling my doc about my drinking & being so embarrassed -- funny thing though... she didn't act surprised or belittle me whatsoever.

We've abused ourselves so there's gonna be harm done. However, our bodies are amazing in how they can heal themselves rather quickly most of the time. I would imagine you've got some swelling in your liver -- which will start healing the moment we stop drinking. I only have 3 days again, with a swollen liver and a detox from hell. I'm choosing life today & have put the drink down and I know wellness of mind, spirit and body will start healing "one day at a time".

Hang in there, keep posting and no matter what DONT DRINK!!!

Love to you, friend! Nicki :ghug3
Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Deb,

I have felt the same way, a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. I had major stomach issues, liver issues, chest pains, eye issues, vomiting, diarrhea, hallucinations, tremors, etc. I drank heavily for years and years and thought that death was around the corner. Funny thing, when I stopped drinking it all went away within 2 weeks!

I will echo what the others have said, see your doctor and get a full work up. However, I will also agree with the others that have stated that the body has an amazing ability to heal itself. Will there be some permanent damage done by years of drinking? Maybe. But, I would be willing to be it is nowhere near as bad as you think it is. Once thing is for certain, keep it up and the damage will get worse. Stop now and you just may stop it and reverse a good bit of it.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the new replies. I really expected no one would read my last post. I am going to be realistic about things. I know I damaged my body: hopefully by quitting I will be buying myself time. Do any of you feel guilty over having drank like you did? What truly shames me is that I have been babysitting my grandson since he was 2 months old, full time. I never drank around him, just in the evenings...well, before I babysat him I'd drink during the day many a time. Anyway, he is now 3, and he was diagnosed with leukemia this past August. His mother was so over whelmed by it all...I kind of stepped up my help for her: so when I'd go home in the early evenings, and then do my own housework, I was just beat. I always told myself I deserved that drink...I made strong drinks, lol! But actually, this pain in my side started bothering me over 2 years ago...it started as just occasionally aching, till now, when it has gotten pretty steady. I really feel it is tied to the drinking...as it always got better when I stopped drinking. Its somewhat better now: about half as bad as before. I hope I'll be lucky and just get better as the days go by...I will find a sitter for my grandson and get that physical eventually...I just need to stay active now...that's how I managed to quit smoking. But I'm going to check out the AA meetings in my area too: and keep posting here...thanks again...Debbie
Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Debbs, Welcome back!
I also recommend you go to your doctor and be COMPLETELY honest about the level to which you have been drinking.

I have considered whether or not to share the following, but here goes...the good and the bad, and remember that I am not a medical professional....just someone who cares about an addict.

My BFs son is an alcoholic/addict. He was finally convinced to go to the ER this past summer, and was diagnosed with alcoholic hepatitis, cirrhosis, and jaundice. The doctors gave him a 50:50 shot of making it through the hepatitis, the cirrhosis, and the DTs. The first 7 days were touch and go, and he had 2.5 L of ascites fluid (abdominal cavity) drained while in the hospital. He was very sick and weak for about 4 months. Now, the doctors believe that he may not even need a liver transplant if he takes good care of himself!! It was a miraculous physical recovery!!!

Sadly, this nearly 30 year old man is now addicted to crack, and we are not sure what is going to happen with him next....whether he will decide to get clean or not.

I share this for two reasons:

There is hope for your health. It is possible for your body to recover.
You have got to stop drinking....you deserve a much better life!

Hugs and prayers! :praying

HG
Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This Time I WILL Make It

Hi again. I will get a physical....I know I need to. I have not drank since last Friday night...my side is still sore, but I promise to take your advice and get it checked out. I just have to bury my pride: admit I've had this long standing problem: and be sincere in wanting to stop drinking altogether. My motivation is my 3 year old grandson. I want to be around for him. He's had to go through so much since his diagnosis: the least I can do is sober up; and hopefully get my health back...Thanks everyone, for enccouraging me to seek medical help for this...Debbie
Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Debbs,

Good to hear you will go to the doctor. Good to hear you still ahvent drank and a grandson sounds like perfect motivation to keep it going.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi debbs,

I binge drank heavily for years. Sometimes for 2 weeks stretches at a fifth a day. I was very concerned about my health and felt tremendous guilt about leaving my children alone if i got sick because of drinking. I am now going on 2 years sober and feel tremendous. This board helped me alot. You CAN do it. If you are concerned for your health you MUST stop. I had all of the abdominal pains that you have and they all went away after quitting.