Notices

7 Days and wondering

Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 Days and wondering

Hello all. I decided to stop drinking January 10 and it has not been any problem so far. Maybe because I was scared. But before I start with why I quit here is my history

I am 42 years old and drank most of my life since age 20. I have never been an everyday drinking, more like a 3 day a week drinker. When I drink the usual is 200ml of 80 proof Bacardi. I cannot say I have never varied from this, sometimes 2 days, sometimes 4 days, but as a general rule 3 days a week.

Latter part of 2006 I had my complete hep panel done and nothing was abnormal, but I remember the ALT or AST one of those was 38 on a normal scale up to 55. I have been confused because some sites i see say the upper range is 40 but my testing clearly said up to 55?

I kept my normal drinking going. Well, I recently went on a diet cut out a lot of crap because I was 202lbs and the doctor said my cholesteral was way to high and I either needed to take meds or lose some weight. I cut out all crap (accept alcohol of course...lol) and after 4 months was at 162lbs.

Yippy great but over the last years I could swear I felt that upper right quad pain which so many people talk about after a day of drinking. Then recently I started noticing after the weekend on Monday and Tuesday lots and lots of heart palps and even 5 to 10 second arrythmias. Not good and I must say the timing tells me it is withdraw even though I felt no other withdraw symptoms. So magically the heart palps have all but gone away after 1 week of no alcohol. So lets just say I know the cause, probably.

So where do I go from here? I am pretty sure I will never drink again because I have lost all desire. I have never been in trouble, had any car wrecks, wrecked and marriages, but I felt like a wreck with hangovers and I am tired of it.

My plan now is to wait a few weeks go back to the doctor and get another hep panel done. I am really afraid to do this but to be sure I have no problem I need to. I still think I feel a slight pinch in my upper right quad area after a week, and in the back of my mind I think what if. What if I have hepatites, cerosis, liver cancer, then what. I guess I tell my wife and kids I screwed up and try to do whatever I can to survive. When I look in the mirror I see no spider vains, no yellow eyes or jaundice, but this does not mean I could not have a serious problem already. Oh well I guess it is time to face the music.

Ok that is all for now. My desire to drink is gone and I just want to live long enough and decent enough to care fro my wife and kids. Hope it can still happen
Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, peaceout. so have you been honest with your doctor about the drinking?

keep posting! and congrats on your sober days!

hugs, k
Old 01-17-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

Welcome Peace and good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I have never made it a secret I drink and to be honest they never gave it much attention. I remember I told one doctor 5 years ago I drank 12 to 16 beers a week and I was concerned if that was enough to cause damage. He said something like "I seriously doubt this is enough to cause your liver serious damage and do you want to go through a liver biopsy just to satisfy your mind and the risk involved"

Late 2006 I mentioned it to the doctor again about my now bacardi nights and she did and exam and said "nothing feels abnormal but I cannot tell for sure so lets do a blood work up" which lead to the last blood work up I mentioned.

Whatever happens I do not blame them it is completely my responsibility and I will just hope for the best and live or die with the consequences (hopefully live)
Old 01-17-2009, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok that is all for now. My desire to drink is gone and I just want to live long enough and decent enough to care fro my wife and kids. Hope it can still happen
Welcome Peace

Ed
Old 01-17-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I was really worried about my health when I stopped drinking too. Try to remember that none of us know what our health will be like tomorrow and all we can do is to do the best we can do today.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey peaceout - welcome. Congrats on the 7 days!!

Your liver is probably gonna be alright, and if you have damaged it, it will probably heal itself, as long as you don't drink... See your doctor though, to be sure.

Stay sober. Keep coming back.

Mark
Old 01-17-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Peaceout! Congrats on your sober week. I'm glad you made the choice to get sober and healthier. Drinking will eventually kill us, if we let it.

:ghug3
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks again for all the warm welcomes here least, cubile, 51anna, newdaynow, Fubarcdn and parentrecovers. I will probably check back once a week to make sure I remain alcohol free and and I like reading the boards.

I know that things could get a lot worse if I keep drinking, and I cannot allow my wife and kids to watch me go done the crap hole. I am doing this for them, and for myself. If I fail to stop then I will seek peofessional help, but right now I feel well enough to stop myself
Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

welcome peaceout! congrats on 7 days..keep up the good work! as others have said...we all know that we have done damage to ourselves with the drinking...to what extent...who knows...but i do know that i have a better chance of not doing anymore damage if i don't pick up!
keep doing the next right sober thing!! thoughts & prayers coming your way!!
Lisa