Notices

Stuggling tonight....

Old 01-16-2009, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stuggling tonight....

Hi everybody, I am really struggling tonight and writing this post is the only way to keep from picking up at this moment. Actually the last few nights have been real tough. My husband has been working nights (this is not the norm for him). For the last 2 weeks he has been here on my days off, shortly after I get home from work, etc, etc. Well the last 2 nights I talked my self out of drinking because it was a work night (not that it has every been an issue to me before). I am learning to make new excuses for NOT drinking verus always making excuses to drink. But tonight he will work through the night and probably will not get home until 7am. He would never know. One of my things when drinking, was to sneak as much as possible when he was not here. I think it started out of boredom, but then almost felt like a game. So when he is not here, I have huge triggers. I am trying to remind myself right now, that I have to much to do tommorow to be hungover, and if he did find out how disappointed he would be. Sorry to ramble, just needed to vent.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm with you. Friday nights for me are hard. I'm trying to reprogram. Keep writing.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

Originally Posted by michigangirl View Post
I am learning to make new excuses for NOT drinking verus always making excuses to drink.
Thanks for posting! I've been in your shoes and it's not fun. I suggest making not drinking into a game in your mind. You don't even have to focus on forever, just come up with some goofy excuses why you can't drink tonight. You want to make sure you can stay online and still be coherent later. You want to watch Letterman. Etc. The craving won't last forever even though it might not feel that way right now.

Run through the HALT's. Are you Hungry? Anxious? Lonely? Tired? Hungry, especially, gets me this time of day. I don't even want to drink after a nice meal. Can you order some yummy take out or something?

Stick around and keep posting tonight. Take it minute by minute, hour by hour, and before you know it the night will be over. And tomorrow morning, you'll be refreshed and soooooo glad to have avoided another hangover!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I drank alone, at home, and my husband being away or working late, was always a trigger for me. I found I had to force myself to be doing something totally different at those times, and it helped. I would go out for a walk or make plans with someone to have coffee, anything that would get me out of the house and get my mind off drinking, for a few minutes.

You are doing great!
Old 01-16-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Annas right - do something - keep busy - distract the thoughts...

And no-one may never know, but you would - think of all the reasons you want to stop.
Look at your old posts if it helps

You can do this, MG
D
Old 01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support. I am going to make myself dinner, and am slamming the ice water. I do have a pile of homework - that I should get a head start on. And I will keep close to SR.

Thank you! :ghug
Old 01-16-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Resident

Keep reading and posting. There will likely be different people here all the time. Try reding and responding to others post too. It helps for me. This will be my first Friday night and I am somewhat anxious too but determined. Jusrt be determined today and tou will be proud tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

Originally Posted by michigangirl View Post
He would never know. One of my things when drinking, was to sneak as much as possible when he was not here. I think it started out of boredom, but then almost felt like a game. So when he is not here, I have huge triggers.
Michigangirl, I couldn't have said it better myself. I was super sneaky about drinking. I was already nervous about today yesterday because I knew I would be alone, hubby would be working and late and yep, I could sneak and he'd never know. But I would know. And that is what I can't stand anymore. I just can't tolerate feeling guilty over it, the guilt lasts longer than the hangover.

I've spent hours here today distracting myself from thinking of picking up wine. It is tough, I'm struggling too...I understand. One of my trigger is plain old boredom, so I have to stay busy. Please hold on, you can do it.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

been there too. Then finally I found out that I loved him more than liquor, and I'm too darn old for games.

That has NOT been easy, but necessary. I have often wondered how I would feel if he had told me as many lies to equal the number of times I had been deceptive with my drinking. that's too overwhelming, so I just don't do it anymore NO way!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Struggling myself, as well, MGirl. Your title immediately caught my interest.

In a blue mood and could very easily convince myself that having a martini would be the answer. I've got the opposite problem, though, in that my husband literally just walked in with a fresh bottle of vodka.

No matter how we look at it (you and I)... we'll end up ruining something good if we give in.

Thanks soooo much for sharing! Fubarcdn's idea of reading and posting is a good one (why I'm here) and Dee's suggestion to reread old posts shold be helpful, too. Can't believe he actually wrote that, to tell you the truth, because I spent a good part of Monday hung over, cutting and pasting my posts from June of 2006 to present.

2 1/2 years of struggling for me. Hope you're more successful! GLAD YOU'RE HERE!!!! :ghug3
Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yep - not only cute but psychic NL LOL
good to see you posting!

don't give in - both of you- anyone

Friday nights are tough - it took me years but I finally got it into me - we're adults - we don't have to do anything that we don't want to..especially if its something destructive.

D
Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yea... My biggest challenges have been weekend days and nites when my wife is away for a while. It is imperative for me to have a project, a plan, something. Otherwise I start to crave and urge. So do that pile of homework...

I'm kind of feeling it tonight myself, damn... It's not as overwhelming as it was early on, but I've got a friday night crave here. I have a project my wife wants done, a fire to stay on top of (cold in these parts - already 4 degrees) and SR. I guess I'll make through.

Keep on posting tonight!!

Mark
Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

this is about the time that I start to struggle EVERY day. It is 4:30 in california right now. I take my little one to gymnastics shortly where she will be gone for a couple of hours. Then I go to pick her up. My MO is to put her to bed and then have at it and sleep in tomorrow and she is very good about not waking me. If I don't give in then I will be with everyone else here fighting the good fight.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone - Lets turn this friday night crave in to a Soberrecovery.com friday night RAVE !!!

Mark
Old 01-16-2009, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fugfuggy View Post
this is about the time that I start to struggle EVERY day. It is 4:30 in california right now. I take my little one to gymnastics shortly where she will be gone for a couple of hours. Then I go to pick her up. My MO is to put her to bed and then have at it and sleep in tomorrow and she is very good about not waking me. If I don't give in then I will be with everyone else here fighting the good fight.
Don't give in!!! Check back AS SOON as you drop her off.

Easier said than done, but try it. You can be assured that someone will ALWAYS be here for you. :ghug:ghug
Old 01-16-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
Hey Everyone - Lets turn this friday night crave in to a Soberrecovery.com friday night RAVE !!!

Mark
Love the idea, Mark!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Resident

I am too old for a rave but I will attend anyways. How about a Friday night Rocky Picture Show. Let's do the time warp again.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

So FUBAR, do you get the lead role ?
Old 01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Resident

No Cubike I am too ugky. Even uglier than the original lead. I prefer to just be the cameraman. I can't dance and I can't sing.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Please dont drink MIgirl, it isnt worth it, we both know that but it is hard to accept. :ghug3