Meet the Robinsons

Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Freed from the anguish

Thumbs up Meet the Robinsons

I've been putting off seeing the movie "Meet The Robinsons". It's a kids move with the whole Pixar look to it. But today, while home sick from work, saw I could 'watch it now' on Netflix, so I figured I would. I had no idea I would be bawling my eyes out at the end of it. It was a silly kids movie with all the silliness that all kids movies have, but the MORAL of the story was SO deep, it hit me where I least expected to be hit - in my heart.

The main character is named Louis, an orphan. He is a young inventor. He is almost 13 and has had no luck getting adopted. He finally sets his mind to working on an invention that will help him find his mom, by searching his own memories of her when he was a baby so he can remember what she looks like and find her (and his own happiness) again. The movie gets all crazy like kid movies do. But what it boils down it, is at the end, he realizes that he will never find hope in his future by seeking it in the past. He needs to learn from the past, then let it go, so that he can embrace a beautiful future.

I realize now that has been my problem. I am willing to learn from my past, but I don't want to let it go. I want to try to go back so I can fix it and make it what I always wanted it to be. I need to let go and "keep moving forward".

I needed that movie today.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Inspiration comes from the strangest places...doesn't it?

Sue
Old 01-16-2009, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by JustMeInWI View Post
But what it boils down it, is at the end, he realizes that he will never find hope in his future by seeking it in the past. He needs to learn from the past, then let it go, so that he can embrace a beautiful future.
I took my kids and fiance to see that when it came out, I remember shedding a few tears when it was over too
Old 01-16-2009, 03:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by JustMeInWI View Post
I need to let go and "keep moving forward".

I love that movie. I love that rather than having a "Good Guys Win, Bad Guys Lose" ending, the writers had Louis and Bowler Hat Guy resolve their differences peacefully. I love the Louis gets his family. I love that he chooses to go to forward and build a family of the heart, rather than go back in time to look for the mother who abandoned him. I love that the family of his heart is weird, but that he loves them anyway.

The last song on the soundtrack "Little Wonders" always makes me tear up.

"Let it go,
let it roll right off your shoulder.
Don't you know?
The hardest part is over.
Let it in.
Let your clarity define you."