Yoga and Chainsaws

Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting to my HAPPY PLACE!

Yoga and Chainsaws

I posted another thread about signing up for a yoga class. Well last night was my second class and I highly recommend it to ALL.

Yesterday evening when I left work I was in the worst mood ever. I had let xabf creep into my thoughts and was feeling pi$$ed off at the world and almost didn’t go to class. However, I went and by the time I left class it was like I had left ALL my negativity behind. I was calm and relaxed and my thought process had changed totally.

Now those of you who might have some extra weight and are a little nervous about being in class with “stick” girls – let me just say….I am NOT a skinny girl. I am a pear shape woman and have quite the “booty” lol. Anyways – I can do 95% of the poses and movements that all of the skinny girls do, sometimes even holding the pose longer than a few of them. So there. No excuses – just determination.

And I had also mentioned possibly taking a chainsaw safety class – well I’m sad to report that I wussed out. I had many reasons why – but my biggest was plain ol’ “fear of the unknown” – so that is something I will be working on in the near future. Overcoming my thoughts of “what if I can’t” and trying to replace them with “oh he!! I can do this”!!!

Lots of peace and love to all!!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

On my list today is to buy a yoga dvd so I can do some yoga at home... I do alot of running (treadmill); I am definately NOT a stick girl, either!! Anyone have any recommendations on good or bad yoga dvd's?

I am so glad that the Yoga helped you feel better! I was having a really down day yesterday, too -- for no apparent reason whatsoever. I like the idea of adding one more thing that I can do for myself to feed my spirit.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I love the title of this thread. And there are so many bits of things to think about. I love yoga too, but need to make the time to do it! And as for your chain saw story- 2009 for me is about facing my fears. I finally started XC skiing this year after being afraid to do it- falling, not being good at it, making an arse of myself, etc. Well-it was fun- and empowering to do something I've resisted for so long!!! I fell a few times, but had a good laugh over it and kept on going. I plan to make it out many more times, and I'm going to do a few more things I've had on my list but have dragged my feet on.

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can't imagine how messed up my thoughts/mind would be if I hadn't started yoga a few months ago. It has really helped me to feel calm and grounded. I've also learned meditation which has been another life saver.

You don't have to be a stick woman or even "fit" to start classes, talk to the people in the studio to figure which class is best for you to start with - you'll be amazed how quickly you can catch on.

I'm taking 3 classes a week now, sometimes a "Freedom Friday class" (different lecture topics/classes each Friday), practice daily, meditate before bed, have taken up hiking and snowshoeing. This is from someone who was a couch potato last summer.

I've quit smoking, lost weight and feel great!

All in all I've lost about 250 pounds.

Ok ok the EXAH weighed 220!
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I recommend Rodney Yee videos, Ali Mc Graw got out one that is really good too (I believe its called Yoga / Body & Mind).

Thanks for reminding me about yoga. It rules. I used to do it daily for two hours and I dropped weight in no time, and not doing any strenous stuff, just the usual most basic poses. Which one is your favorite? Mine is triangle and corpse pose. Probably corpse is the one that has more meaning to me... total surrender.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Freed from the anguish

(((lovtolaff))) Thanks for sharing. I signed up for a yoga class and it starts in two weeks I cannot wait! I know it will be SO good for me, I need to be active, and in yoga I know they really work at you to BREATHE - and for people like us, I think it's GREAT for us to learn to just BREATHE
Old 01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love the tittle of this thread!!!

Due to my MS, I have some mobility issues; but I do some real beginner yoga stuff and I've also gotten into deep breathing and meditation. Although I think if I was able to use a chainsaw on "things" around the house I maybe lots more relaxed...LOL! (I should be looking into a chainsaw safety class...LOL!!!)

Sorry, I was just having way to much fun with this!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting to my HAPPY PLACE!

Thanks for reminding me about yoga. It rules. I used to do it daily for two hours and I dropped weight in no time, and not doing any strenous stuff, just the usual most basic poses. Which one is your favorite? Mine is triangle and corpse pose. Probably corpse is the one that has more meaning to me... total surrender.
Hmmm...well I've only been to 2 classes so far so I'm not real familiar with all of the poses - I know we've done Warrior 1 and downward dog, upward cat, table position and a few other basics. I absolutely love feeling the stretch that comes from these poses. I'm working on my breathing and my balance so that I can hold all of the poses properly.

Due to my MS, I have some mobility issues;
Brundle - I understand having mobility issues due to MS. My sister has MS also - it's been tough for her. Sending you strength!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! Back at your sister!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sister power, yeah. Right on.

Good luck with the yoga. I am going to put that DVD in this weekend! I've already (ahem) mastered the chainsaw. But the yoga will benefit my body so much more
Old 01-16-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi lovetolaff!

Thats wonderful. Its really nice when you notice your evolution and elasticity.. I love that there are no comparisons with anyone or vanity involved, I really feel its just all about me, no need to demonstrate, or be anyone else. And I love that you can either spend 5 minutes or 2 hours, and spend on a pose as much time as you feel like it... very flexible for us without fixed schedules

For the ones that do not have time, the surrender pose is just to lie there, with the palms facing the ceiling. You have to do nothing. Just relax.... they say that is the most important pose. No effort or stress - just be...