Notices

New here - first sober day in years

Old 01-15-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here - first sober day in years

Hi All. I’m new here and I’m quitting drinking, today after 30 years (at least that’s my goal for today). I’m off to my doctor in a few minutes to get looked over and hopefully start the detox process. I’ll do an inpatient detox if the doc thinks that’s the way to go.

I had a 4 year long addiction to Vicodin that I was able to kick back in November of this last year. I tapered off the Rx only to find my drinking increased. Now I seem to have daily DTs and I can only feel better by drinking. I’m so sick of being an alcoholic.

I’m pumped up about quitting and I look forward to the support that this group gives.

I’ve so much to talk about….
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. Good idea going to the doctor. You are heading in the right direction! Nice to have you here and wish you best on your road to sobriety.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Tex...

Great to see you here... Good luck with the doc today. Let us know how it goes.

Mark
Old 01-15-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Rebel! YOu've come to a great place for support. I'm glad you found us and glad you're doing a medically supervised detox. I've been sober for six months now and if a chronic relapser like me can make it, so can you.:ghug3
Old 01-15-2009, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

YEE HAW! Welcome Tex, I'm glad you are sick of being an alcoholic. I had to come to that realization before I made any progress. I'm going on 8 months, and I feel great!

YOU CAN DO IT..

Heavy
Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In PAIN!!!

Hey guys, I don't know if i mentioned it before or not but i have a kidney disease that produces kidney stones on a daily basis. My pain Dr. got me hooked on oxyContin and that is what i am recovering from. I am having a hard time with stones right now and haven't taken anything and i just want to die. I am about to have to have surgery to have some removed which is a very common procedure for me. I guess i am asking is What do you do when you are addicted to pain pills and you are in a desperate need to get out of pain? None of the non-narcotic stuff has ever worked and i am just stuck because i refuse to go to the ER so i am just wondering what i may be able to do for the pain, am I ready to have that narcotic in me even if it is taken the right way. Remember, i was taking 800mg of Oxy's a day!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Heidi
Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

heidi,

i have had one kidney stone and I thought there was an alien trying to escape through my male parts. The worst pain I have ever felt (and I was drunk at the time!) I cannot imagine what you must be going through. However, I would trade kidney stones for liver disease any day :P

Have you ever heard of Uriflow? I have taken it since my first stone as preventative and I have not repeated so maybe there is something to be said for it.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Rebel,

You will find alot of support here. I would also reccommend a inpatient detox and rehab. I was not a daily drinker but I drank in binges. Besides from being medically detoxed as an inpatient I think it helps to do the rehab also. My insurance paid for 10 days and I think it made me understand the disease better. Good luck
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Resident

Good luck Rebel. I am doing this alone and this forum and my family are the only support I have also. I am also a newb and everyone here treats each other with kindness and caring. I have gotten more from this than I expected and if you visit often and read and post I think you will find the same. Come join is in the class of January, A lot of us sign in and update each day. Even if nobody reads my babble, it helps just to write it out. Good finger exercise too, all that typing. Now I have 2 muscular fingers and six skinny ones.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!

Welcome RebelTex! So glad you found SR! Your post sounds like you have a confident plan for recovery. Keep up that positive attitude....it will help so much. We are certainly here to support you .... and be supported !Let us know what the doctor says.

:ghug
Old 01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-15-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

Another Texan -- bring it on. Let us know how you are doing and what the doctor says.

Also keep posting, no matter how mundane you think the thoughts are -- we want to read them.

I'm another 30 year drinker -- starting binging at 15. Many stops and starts along the way, but I am only 26 Days ahead of you -- Day 27 for me.

Squid
Old 01-15-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, as others have said, keep reading and posting! Glad you are here.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's great to be here.

The visit with the doc went great. He was a stand-in for my regular doc so I didn't expect too much. He quizzed me about my sincerity to quit drinking and once he was comfortable he said he could help. So, this will be an outpatient detox. Rxs of the meds most commonly used.

Before I ramble on and on, let me say thanks to y'all again.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Tex, you are very sensible to involve your Doc.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

rebelTex, I can so relate to what you're going through. It's overwhelming to learn to live without alcohol after relying on it for so many years, but SR helped me do just that. It took me a few months to quit after first finding this place, but now I have a year. I could never have made it without the love and encouragement I've found here. No one judged, everyone knew just how I was feeling. So glad you've found us, and congratulations on a whole new life.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations RebelTex on your decision to stop drinking.
You certainly sound like your going about this the right way. Good for you!

Stay in touch often with SR and keep posting.

Cheers.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome!! Stick around
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Welcome! You'll find lots of support here.