First things first, or how not to die young.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amongst the many things I let slip during the years with my ex was my health. I was just too busy for regular doctor checkups. There was so much to do around the house, work, buisnesses to take care of. And of course, clearing up the wreckage of her drinking.

Couple decades ago I was diagnosed with "pre-diabetes", also known as "post-prandial hypoglycemia". Like all people with pancreatic disorders I was supposed to get certain test done on a regular basis. Unfortunately, _I_ was not my first priority. My ex-wife was. I made sure she got _her_ checkups done on time, but mine could wait.

As my disease progressed unsupervised I developed something called "autonomic neuropathy". Most diabetics get neuropathy eventually, but if you catch it early enough and take good care of yourself it can be kept to a minimum. I was too busy.

Autonomic neuropathy (AN) slowly kills off the nerves that control a person's heart and lungs. Eventually you'll get a heart attack from that, and once you do, the clock starts ticking. According to everything I've read, and from what the docs tell me, the longest anyone has lived with AN is ten years. Max. That's the world record.

I had my first AN-induced heart attack 4 years ago.

I got into al-anon with a vengance.

Today I practice that "First things first", cuz I want to break that 10 year record.

My first priority is my weight. I have a diet that I follow to the letter. Although I love sweets and all other things fattening I know that staying alive is the sweetest treat of all.

I go to all my medical appointments. Always. That includes cardiologists, neurologists, endocrinologists, nutritionists, blood tests, x-rays and on and on.

I follow directions, exactly. When they told me to do yoga for stress I started yoga. I still don't like doing it, but I like being dead even less.

I do this 12 step recovery thing every day. I got to meets, have a sponsor, sponsor others, drive out to little towns to help out, participate in conventions.

I listen to other in my heart association group and apply their experience to my life.

Neuropathy, like anything related to diabetes, has been heavily studied by the medical folks. They have all kinds of tests with which they can tell all about my future. I've asked the docs where my test results put me compared to others with the same autonomic neuropathy. They get quiet, change the subject. One of them finally told me that I must have a lot of people praying for me.

One day I looked it up myself. My test results show that I should not have survived that first heart attack 4 years ago. Not a prayer. I should not have survived the other 10 heart attacks I've had since then. With my test numbers, my heart and lungs simply should not be working. The docs call that "sudden death syndrome", which means that at any time, right between heartbeats, my raggedy pump is just going to quit.

Had I been taking care of my health the way I was supposed to, all those years that I was with my ex, I still would have developed neuropathy. But not for another 20 or 30 years. And even then the docs would have caught it early. Instead I have to deal with it today.

Today I take care of first things first. I keep my weight where it belongs, I take my meds, I excercise, I follow instructions from my doc and the people I trust in recovery. My health is a mess, I have angina every day, my left arm gets tingly, palpitations, migraines, gastroparesis. Been in ICU 7 times.

Today I have a life filled with friends and joy. I go outta town whenever I can, have a job I love (ok, so it's a sit-down desk job, but I love that I can still work) have a charming lady that I'm dating. My life couldn't be better. And yes, I got my eye on that 10 year record. I intend to break it

Mike
Old 01-14-2009, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Mike
Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's more hard science every day on the effect that stresses (like dealing with an active alcoholic, and tuning our our own pain) have on our immune system and on our body's ability to heal itself. It's undeniable now. Thanks so much for this post. I am now going to drop what I'm doing and take the walk I've been postponing for three days
Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Mike, I got all teary-eyed reading that. I didn't know the whole history on your health. If that isn't testament to the fact that untreated codependency is just as deadly as addiction/alcoholism, I don't know what is.

You are my inspiration every day that I struggle with health issues, which pale in comparison to yours.

I love you, my friend. :ghug :ghug :ghug
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
cmc

Thanks for sharing, Mike. It's a good nudge/reminder to take better care of myself.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. You inspire me.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
My first priority is my weight. I have a diet that I follow to the letter. Although I love sweets and all other things fattening I know that staying alive is the sweetest treat of all.

Today I take care of first things first. I keep my weight where it belongs, I take my meds, I excercise, I follow instructions from my doc and the people I trust in recovery. My health is a mess, I have angina every day, my left arm gets tingly, palpitations, migraines, gastroparesis. Been in ICU 7 times.
So does sushi follow that diet to the letter? And next time you go "outta town" it better be to visit your friends in Phoenix

Mike, above all I'm glad to hear you keep an eye on your health, I know it's a daily effort for you. Please keep it that way. You're an inspiration, and I hope you're here to share your life with us for a long, long time.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Hi DesertEyes
I am glad you are taking care of your health, I also put my health stuff on the back burner because ohhh being with the AH was much more important... and tomorrow I've got my first appointment in my own Health Pilgrimage...
Please stick with yoga, its benefits are numerous... I just took back yoga every morning and I cannot believe how I left it out from my life. Oh yes, I was worried I would wake up xAH.
I send you hugs and blessings and thanks for sharing your wisdom...
Not sure if you are a believer... but if you are... always remember you are in the hands of God.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
...So does sushi follow that diet to the letter? ...
* lol * Heck yeah!!!! The fish is pure protein, and the little bit of sugar and starch in the rice is in the exact amounts for my diet.

It's only the price tag that's not on my diet

... And next time you go "outta town" it better be to visit your friends in Phoenix ...
* lol * Sedona is on our list. Bunch of pics I haven't taken yet in that little piece of heaven. You can take your fine lady shopping and I'll take mine hiking

....You're an inspiration, and I hope you're here to share your life with us for a long, long time.
wow, thanx for the compliment, and yes the plan is that I'm going to out-live all of you!!!

Mike
Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing DesertEyes, very inspirational!!!

Shivaya
Old 01-15-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Alcohol is a cruel mistress!!!

Oh Mike~~ So good to hear your story of improvement... I know over the years you had some close calls and struggles. Which u have shared on here.
You have been such a great role model for many of us. I know for myself I always get so busy with the kids and their lives I often but myself on the back burner. I am soo bad with that I even found a small lump under my arm in my breast area. I have got to go get a mammogram. U have put the fire under my butt to go call. I am so glad life is great for u, no one is more deserving. U have always been there for us. Though I don't post often anymore I still lurk and think of u often. With Love, Kerry
Old 01-15-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Mike,

Thanks for sharing this. For me, it was more this:

It's a good nudge/reminder to take better care of myself.
It was more like a kick in the shins or a tazer-wake-up-call.

Thank you, my friend. My new plan kicks in TODAY
Old 01-15-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Mike

Best wishes for you and yours in this life and the hereafter.

Peace.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
Sedona is on our list. Bunch of pics I haven't taken yet in that little piece of heaven. You can take your fine lady shopping and I'll take mine hiking
Obviously she hasn't informed you that my gifts to her lately have been a backpack & other hiking gear!