Notices

Opiates and Alcohol and Pot, Oh My !!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Enough is Enough

Opiates and Alcohol and Pot, Oh My !!

I haven't had any alcohol since Jan. 5th, 2009 and do not crave it. I was drinking alcohol to boost the opiates that I've been taking. I am feeling better not drinking alcohol. However, I am tapering myself off of percocet, for the 4th or 5th time in the last five years. This is a nightmare. I am taking 1 tablet a day, breaking it in half. Again, this is misery at its finest. Any recovering opiate addicts out there that can give me advice is welcome to respond. I am so angry at myself for letting this spiral out of control for so long. I called my doctor yesterday and told him that I don't want anymore painkillers and not to prescribe them to me. I do not blame him, he didn't shove them down my throat and I lied to him every month for 5 years. I know that I can do this. I just have to get over this initial bump. Does anyone have tremendous ANGER at yourself for letting this addiction get to this point ?? I am just so "effing" angry at myself.. I quit smoking cigarettes 12 years ago and have always said it was the hardest thing that I have ever done. I have to say that this is just as bad or worse but I know I can do it. I so want this to be over. I will never be able to repair the damage that I've done to my body and I'm am scared because of that. I started abusing opiates 5 years ago when several life changing events happened to me at about the same time. I do not adjust quickly to change and in hindsight I can pinpoint exactly why I started abusing opiates but, damnit, enough is enough... I want to feel like I did just 5 short years ago..
Old 01-13-2009, 05:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kakell,

The main thing is that you are seeking help now.

And, yes, I was very angry at myself for allowing addiction to come into my life. But, the bottom line is, it did and I had to deal with it.

Use your emotion to focus on your recovery and to move forward. You can't go back to where you were five years ago, nor can you undo physical damage, but you can choose to live a sober life, at this point.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Eternal optimist

I almost started a thread this morning about being angry at myself. This is day 4 sober for me and the anger is awful. I can totally relate to wanting to be your 'old self' before letting addiction spiral out of control (it's the nature of the insidious beast though). I went through some pretty traumatic stuff 10years ago & I remember someone warning me about my drinking claiming it would take on a life of it's own. No truer words were spoken, it sure did...in retrospect I know my drinking had taken over way before then, I was just outwardly functioning in certain areas of my life better, but I was already being devoured inside.

Anger, regret, remorse, why-why-why...I rewind and play this every day in my head because I can't believe I did this to me. I'm reading a lot of posts that address anger and guilt associated with getting/staying sober. I also realize I have to work on what's going on underneath the surface attributing to some of the anger. It's really hard to deal with knowing I brought this on though, I'm with ya on that.

To our credit, we're here today working on us!

I'm glad you're here.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Anger at one's self is a biggie, especially in early Recovery. I had so much anger at myself that I didn't think anyone else could forgive me, so how could I forgive myself?

Addiction is a vicious cycle of self loating, hate and misery. No one can break that cycle for us, we have to do it. I visualize my disease as a big, ugly, powerful beast that wants to keep me in it's grip. And early in my Recovery, when a little sun would shine on my world, that beast would rear it's ugly head, grabbing back at me. It wanted me back soooo bad that it had to remind me of how it made me lie, cheat, steal, con, manipulate . . . . all of those negative things I did to feed my addiction. Getting high was no longer fun anymore. It wasn't for recreation anymore, it was in order to survive.

But there came a time when survival meant saying goodbye to the chemicals that had once gave me, what I thought, was courage, strength, self confidence, control, and power. But this demon called addiction IS truly cunning, baffling and powerful. It will do anything it can to pull each and every one of us back.

The only way to take away the strength from this disease is quite simple. Don't use. Don't worry about tomorrow or next week. Just don't use today. Each day that you don't feed your addiction you take a bit more of it's strength away from it.

Just remember, it took us many years to get to the point of having all of this anger and other negative feelings that we have towards ourselves. We can't expect to feel happy, stronger and courageous overnight. It takes time. We can never go back to who we were before we became addicts/alcoholics. But you can be stronger and more confident. After all, once you work through the issues that lead to you to picking up in the first place, I guarantee you that you will feel

Cyber Hugs & Genuine Prayers,
Judy