Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newbie need advice for recovering durring this cold maine winter

Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So im new to this forum and im a little over 2 months into recovery! The first month was very easy, but this last month has been nothing but a challenge. I was using morphine, oxycodone and oxy contin IV for a few months, but before that I was using oxycodone and hydrocodone for 3 years mostly snorting and some popping. At first it was on and off for 2 years but the last year and a half was living to use and using to live. Stealing, cheating, lying. I decided to quit all together and I went to Detox and stayed there for 5 days. I was put on suboxone maintenance. I started at 16mg's a day but im currently at 8mgs a day.
Like I said the first month was smooth sailing, because after detox I joined a intensive outpatient program at the hospital for 4 hours a day 4 days a week for 4 weeks. It was such a great program, I felt really safe and comfortable there. As soon as I graduated and was on my own ive been feeling lonely, anxious and no where near as optimistic as I was when I was riding that pink cloud. Ive relapsed twice and have been smoking pot everyday. I have to quit though because i will get discharged from the Suboxone maintenance clinic I am part of. I see my doctor 1 to 2 times a month. I give a urine sample, talk to the doc, get my script and im on my way. As of late ive been slacking on going to meetings, and havnt gone to counseling. To top it off its winter time and I think I have seasonal defective disorder because I get really depressed this time of the year.
So basically I need to talk to my doctor about uping my dosage, get back to going to 1 meeting a day and I need to go to counseling once a week. So I know what I need to continue doing and start doing again, but id like some advice on how to cope with the bad times and any stories or tips from people who have been here and were successful. I know I can do it, I just cant do it alone, so all the healthy sober people I meet, the better!

-Thanks,
The Maine Climbah'
Old 01-12-2009, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Climbin'

I was addicted to alcohol, I know it different from pills, but it's an addiction right? I think you stated it best, you need to talk to the doc, go to meetings, conuseling and what ever else helps you.

That said, I had to really focus on other things. I'm in Minnesota, and we are having a cold cold winter this year. I'm tryin to stay busy skiing, exercising, and as funny as it sounds, waking up in the morning feeling good!

Good luck to you!

Heavy
Old 01-12-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Sounds like you got it all right there. You know what to do.
I think having a support group in those down times is a good idea.
Find some things you like to do to keep your ind and hands busy.
You can always come here and find support.
Glad you are here.
Keep posting.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think in recovery it is hard finding a sense of balance and what you like to do. I struggle with that.
I go to meetings, and I recently joined a local young peoples group (AA just to clarify it was not some random group). It has helped me tremendously. I have a few friends now and they seem to do things together. I go on commitments which I thought I would never do and I spoke for the first time on Sunday at a program. I am also doing the steps and have people in my life who have sober time. I found isolating was my worst enemy. So I had to overcome my fears and learn to live life and that is what I am doing.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome..
Sounds to me like you have recognized your slipping backwards and thats a positive thing.....no form of denial there..

I can relate to feeling like a square peg in a round hole for a while..
Depressed and feelings of impending doom were common with me...certainly for the first few months..

Mine was booze but a drugs a drug right..
Years and years of alcoholic drinking take its toll..same as drugs i guess.
And it can take a good while for the physical and mental health to return.
....i found i became less and less depressed....more and more motivated...more and more positve.
AA played a big part in that.....are you using NA for support?....trucker
Old 01-12-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

...get back to going to 1 meeting a day and I need to go to counseling once a week. So I know what I need to continue doing and start doing again, but id like some advice on how to cope with the bad times and any stories or tips from people who have been here and were successful. I know I can do it, I just cant do it alone, so all the healthy sober people I meet, the better!

That's how you do it!

Keep coming back.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the advice and support! I know I know what I need to do...it just helps hearing other people say it.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

trucker...I have not been to an NA meeting. Theres only a couple in my area weekly. I really enjoy AA. Do you find NA helpful?
Old 01-13-2009, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I live in the Anchorage area of Alaska and got a happy light for the SAD, it is worth every penny. One of your local pharmacies may have them.

There is hope.

I go on an antidepressant every winter (except this one so far, but I'm not against it).

There is NO reason to suffer from SAD, there is a solution to it.