Notices

Antabuse

Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

Antabuse

I'm considering taking Antabuse and looking for any input/experience you may have on this drug.
Thanks.
Tay.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have not tried anything like that, Tay.

What does your dr say? Will he/she give you antabuse?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I haven't tried it.. I wouldn't want to. I have to lean to live sober on my own, without chemicals. I dated someone who took it, because of a DUI. He still drank on it.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you tried more traditional methods, like AA or treatment? The drugs might work for you, but my experience has taught me that if you don't address the core issues you will most likely drink again. If you are like me, you are looking for the quick fix and Antabuse seems like that. Everything I have read from both alcoholics and non-alcoholics is that the only true long term solution to alcoholism is a spiritual solution, addressing the causes of why we need to escape reality.

I suggest you use this momentum you have in surrender to begin recovery with AA or treatment. You have taken your first step by reaching out. If you decide to take Antabuse, I would only view it as the "adult drinking time out" pause in your disease to seek proven methods of help. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I have no personal experience with it, but I found this thread from someone else who posted about it:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...isulfiram.html

Good luck, Tay. How are you doing today?
Old 01-12-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Just saw your other thread... will go read and reply there.

:ghug3
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
BKP

Body Chek,
The Detroit Redwings are my fav team!!!!! Grew up with the AHL team in my hometown for 19 years, if you ever want to talk Hockey let me know. I did make it out to Detroit to see a game at the Joe 2 years ago, amazing time.

Peace
Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I needed to take it

Hey again Tay-lyn:
I took antabuse for the first 30 days of my current sobriety....I am 40 days today. Prepare yourself for A LOT of s*** regarding antabuse, particularly from AA members ( of which I am one, coincidentally). Though AA clearly states it has no opinion on outside issues, that AA is a "selfish" program, refers to doctors and psychiatrists as "friends"...people still will offer you their opinion on antabuse. My sponsor told me to NEVER offer my opinion...it might kill someone....he says to offer only my experience, strength, and hope. Be that as it may....I could not stop drinking 40 days ago...inpatient was not an option....at my therapists and doctors urging I went on antabuse. I tried to drink on it...to neutralize it...and wound up inthe ER with high blood pressuer and heart arrythmias...DO NOT DRINK ON THIS...also be careful with perfumes, lotions, mouthwash, mustard, vinegar...any fermented food or beverage.
Most alcoholics I know often spend time comparing their sobriety with others...who's got more time, who's on what step, who's doing it right (or wrong) I do it myself sometimes...its human nature. Your sobriety is yours...period. Do what YOU think you need to do....listen to advice??Sure.....Learn from the experiences of others??Absolutely...but do what you need to do to start the journey....not what some other alcoholic thinks is the "right" way to do it. Prayers for you tay-lyn ROB
Old 01-12-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have no experience but a friend of mine in AA used it. He said it does exactly what it says it will make you very ill if you drink. He drank 2 weeks after he stopped taking it and still got violently ill.. So I would suggest it if you are serious. I think you should do whatever it takes you to get sober. Who cares what others think. It is your life and if you want to live it go for it