Notices

One day at a time. I can do this.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A New Year...A New Me!

One day at a time. I can do this.

Hello all. I just found this site while searching for a support group to help me through my transition to a Non-Drinker. I started drinking at the age of 14. I drank with friends all through my teenage years as a lot of people do. It progressively got worse the older I got. I don't drink much liquor, but I drink a LOT of beer. After my divorce 6 years ago I really turned it up. I began drinking an average of 10 beers after work everyday and even more on the weekend. I decided yesterday that I am done! I am tired of not feeling like myself anymore. Drinking has taken over my life and I want it back. I want to be "me" again. I have a Very supportive fiancee' that has beaten a different addiction of her own that is helping through this. But, I know I'll need all the help I can get. Maybe along the way I can help someone myself. Just wanted to introduce myself and I look forward to talking to all the people here.

1 Day and counting. Here's to a sober New Year! 1 Day at a time.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi tate and welcome!! glad you are here..you will find lots of support here! do alot of reading and ask alot of questions and most importantly DON'T DRINK!!! you CAN do this!! i wish you much strength and courage as you start your journey...you won't be disappointed!! Sobriety is great!!!!!!!!!!!
Big Hugs!!!
Lisa
Old 01-11-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tate,

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tate! Nice to meet you and happy sober new year to you too! This is a great site and loads of information. The best of luck in your sobriety and finding "you" again!
Take Care. PS congrats to your financee!.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-11-2009, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Tate
I am in the exact same boat as you: 1 day and counting.
It took me 55 years to get here and this is the first time I am serioslly going to put the effort into trying. On January 10,2010 we can both come on line and congrat each other on 1 year.
You can do it and I can do it.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. I'm new and just found this forum. I promised myself that this would be the year I would stop drinking. Well my resolution only lasted a day. I am not a every day drinker but if I have one beer, you might as well give me a 12 pack. I can't stop. Yesterday was another bad day and woke up feeling sick and not remembering a lot of the day. I realize that I just need to stop altogether and have a wonderful supportive husband who does not drink. I was hoping that I could get some much needed support from everyone and this is extremely difficult to stop. I've been drinking for over 20 years. Looking forward to making friends who are going through the same thing and for any help/advise.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome tate! This really is a good website. Supportive, lots of great advice. Definitely helped me to stop drinking. I wish you all the best in your quest to quit.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A New Year...A New Me!

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Hi Tate
I am in the exact same boat as you: 1 day and counting.
It took me 55 years to get here and this is the first time I am serioslly going to put the effort into trying. On January 10,2010 we can both come on line and congrat each other on 1 year.
You can do it and I can do it.
Sounds like a plan! Good luck, I know we can do it!
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Tate and New2VA...

this site is great, full of support. glad you are here.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

Originally Posted by New2VA View Post
Hello everyone. I'm new and just found this forum. I promised myself that this would be the year I would stop drinking. Well my resolution only lasted a day. I am not a every day drinker but if I have one beer, you might as well give me a 12 pack. I can't stop. Yesterday was another bad day and woke up feeling sick and not remembering a lot of the day. I realize that I just need to stop altogether and have a wonderful supportive husband who does not drink. I was hoping that I could get some much needed support from everyone and this is extremely difficult to stop. I've been drinking for over 20 years. Looking forward to making friends who are going through the same thing and for any help/advise.
Hi New
I am in exactly the same boat as you. Just took the plunge yesterday. We can all do this together if we come here and support each other. I am the sane as you, if I take that one drink I have a dozen or more. Tried the only having 1 or 2 and it didn't work. Good luck you can make the change and your life will be better because of it.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Tate, your words and situation is very similiar to mine. Hang in there. I'm on day seven and the past two day have been tough. Watching playoff games with friends. Temptation will find you. Keep your head clear and stay focus. You can do it buddy.