Notices

Withdrawal symptom?

Old 01-09-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptom?

I have a week of sober time-- am not the heaviest drinker in recovery but am wondering about this. Since quitting I have had a bit of swelling and pain in my hands, and pain in some other joints and muscles.

Could this be a symptom of alcohol withdrawal? I wasn't expecting physical symptoms at my rate of drink so it's a bit surprising to me if that's what this is-- but I don't know what else could explain it unless I've become a sudden arthritic this week!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I dont know about drinking. But after I got high. I would be swollen for a few days..someitmes weeks. Like bloated all over. Ankles..feet..hands.
I dont know why.
Hope you feel better. If it doesnt go away soon. Go see a Dr.
You never know whats going to happen when you stop doing something all of a sudden.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Laura,

Good for you!

I'm not sure about the swelling and pain. One thing I found when I stopped drinking was that some physical issues appeared, which I hadn't been aware of while I was drinking. In other words, alcohol had been hiding some symptoms. I would definitely check with your dr.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Laura, congrats on your sober time! I'd check with your supervising doc if I were you. Not because it sounds bad, but because if you're anything like me it'll keep you from worrying yourself sick over it.

It's not a withdrawal symptom I'm familiar with, but withdrawal effects everyone differently. And often the severity of withdrawal symptoms don't correlate with how much a person drank. (I drank daily, and pretty heavily for a woman... didn't have a single withdrawal symptom. Others aren't so lucky, my roommate in treatment only drank a couple drinks a day and had a horrible withdrawal.)
Old 01-09-2009, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I quit I "suddenly" had arthritis. The Dr. said I had it for several years, but since I was medicating myself every day I couldn't feel it.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
BKP

The first time i quit i drank a six pack a night and had the shakes, i was awake all night and felt like i was dying slowly it was awful so i drank only on the weekends and that became an issue because it was alot of beer and wine in those 2 days. Now i am almost a week sober and have no side effects, i guess everyone is different but stay away from soda, redbull and coffee for a bit (if you drink it) it only makes it much worse.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with what's been said: one, that you should see your doctor to be certain,and two, that it could be something that alcohol use had been hiding from your notice. Please see your doctor to be sure.

:ghug3
Old 01-09-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. If it persists, I will talk to the doc about it.