Language of Letting Go - January 8 - Vulnerability

Old 01-08-2009, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - January 8 - Vulnerability

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Vulnerability

Some of us may have made a decision that no one was ever going to hurt us again. We may automatically go on "feelings freeze mode" when faced with emotional pain. Or, we may terminate a relationship the first time we feel hurt. Hurt feelings are a part of life, relationships, and recovery. It is understandable that we don't want to feel any more pain. Many of us have had more than our share, in fact, at some time in our life, we may have been overwhelmed, crushed, or stopped in our tracks by the amount of pain we felt. We may not have had the resources to cope with our pain or take care of ourselves.

That was yesterday. Today, we don't have to be so frightened of pain. It does not have to overwhelm us. We are becoming strong enough to deal with hurt feelings. And we don't have to become martyrs, claiming that hurt feelings and suffering are all there is to life.

We need only allow ourselves to feel vulnerable enough to feel hurt, when that's appropriate, and take responsibility for our feelings, behaviors, and what we need to do to take care of ourselves. We don't have to analyze or justify our feelings. We need to feel them, and try not to let them control our behavior.

Maybe our pain is showing us we need to set a boundary; maybe it's showing us we're going in a wrong direction; maybe it's triggering a deep healing process.

It's okay to feel hurt; it's okay to cry; it's okay to heal; it's okay to move on to the next feeling, when it's time. Our willingness and capacity to feel joy will eventually match our willingness and capacity to feel hurt.

Being in recovery does not mean immunity from pain; it means learning to take loving care of ourselves when we are in pain.

Today, I will not strike out at those who cause me pain. I will feel my emotions and take responsibility for them. I will accept hurt feelings as part of being in relationships. l am willing to surrender to the pain as well as the joy in life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Being in recovery does not mean immunity from pain; it means learning to take loving care of ourselves when we are in pain.
I have found that emotional pain is sign for me to take gentle care of myself. Just as physical pain warns us that something is wrong in our body that needs attention, emotional pain tells me that something must change for me to begin to heal.

Using the tools of recovery, today I can acknowledge the pain, accept it and then take action to walk through it and get to a better place. Grieving is okay, crying is okay, but I just try not to hang out there too long at any one time. Sometimes I have to just go through the motions of distracting myself for a while. to keep my mind from obsessing on the pain and I usually feel better after I have shared with people I trust, and take quiet time to plan a healing course of action.

Just remember that pain doesn't last forever and life can become beautiful again, in time.

Hugs
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I have found that emotional pain is sign for me to take gentle care of myself. Just as physical pain warns us that something is wrong in our body that needs attention, emotional pain tells me that something must change for me to begin to heal.
Hugs
Hmmm, well put , Ann