Do any of your AH's ever use a holiday or...

Old 01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do any of your AH's ever use a holiday or...

other special event as an excuse to drink or be mean/hateful? Mine seems to come to life on birthdays, holidays(any, it doesn't matter which), a vacation or just something important?

Seems like everytime one comes around here he just goes haywire.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm growing

It may be because there is extra stress/pressure/anxiety at those times. Since drinking is a coping skill....it probably comes out more then b/c they are trying to cope w/ the special occassion.

I can definately relate.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Ask an alcoholic in recovery WHY he/she drank - for most any reason is a good reason.

Good day.
Bad day.
New job.
Lost job.
Bought house.
Burned house.
Healthy baby.
Sick baby.

At this point my husband has no trouble abstaining during the holidays/special occasions - he only likes to Drink (with a capital D, if you know what I mean) alone. But immediately before or after such occasions - WATCH OUT.

It's madness, inahaze. Madness.

-TC
Old 01-06-2009, 07:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm growing

TC you forgot b/c:
it's Tuesday....
Old 01-06-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

And it won't be Tuesday again until next week!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

LOL, mine doesn't need holidays. Mine would use a hangnail as a reason to drink. He regularly uses a hangover as a reason to drink.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Christmas

Oh, don't get me wrong ... I distinctly remember one Memorial Day when he was going haywire, but I left him in our R.V. (20 miles from our home), drove back to the house, took the phone off the hook, and enjoyed my day alone.

Christmas. Every single Christmas. With the exception of our first Christmas together, prior to getting married. And looking back, even that one had some distinct elements of lunacy. I just wasn't tuned into it at that point.

I didn't celebrate Christmas this year. I didn't mess with putting up the tree. I didn't send presents. I didn't mail cards. And I KNEW that he was going to pull something nuts. So I prepared myself for it, and I just didn't bother with Christmas.

It wasn't his greatest performance, but it was his longest. And I finally came to the conclusion that next Christmas, I will not be anywhere near him. I don't care if I dine on a can of chic peas and spam loaf with my two cats at a Motel 6.

For all I know, he's still angsting over not getting that model airplane he expected Santa to bring him when he was 8. Maybe he got lost in the shuffle of three siblings fighting to get to their presents under the tree. Maybe the man just hates Christmas. I don't even want to delve into his motivations any longer ... I just know I'm not going to be coming to the theater of the absurd for a repeat performance in '09.

P.S. - And I quit going on vacations with him in '06. Now I go away alone, or take my cats.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My father uses all kinds of reasons, but thankfully he understands and respects that he can't drink in my home.