Notices

New .. *sigh*

Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New .. *sigh*

Wow I cant believe im posting on this forum.

I have been drinking now as often as I can since I was around 20 and I am now 28. I typically drink 6 or 7 large beers in a sitting.

I made a "rule" that I only drink on weekends or when I didnt have work the next day, but if im being honest I break that "rule" whenever i can. My life is centered around getting home and having a drink. I think of little else. Something happens, "god I need a drink". I get a little stressed, "god I need a drink."

I am completely sick of this. It is making me ill. I always felt like it was "working fine" fine, but lately I feel a difference. I feel ill. I cant sleep unless ive had a drink. I lie there in bed entire nights with this circular thinking and sweating. Lately it has gotten so bad that my thoughts are actually physically painfull.

No I have decided I am never drinking again, but as i sit here and write this I realise i dont really know what to do. I mean I actually dont know what to do with my time. I have no hobbys, lol. I have no idea what it is that I enjoy. I dislike the company of most people. I dont feel comfortable in my own skin.

Anyways I am a super noob when it comes to this. So any advice?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here! You never have to drink again if you don't want to. Have you tried to quit drinking before? If so, what methods have you tried--meetings, rehab, etc? This place has helped me tremendously with my alcoholism along with some 12 step meetings I attend. You don't have to go through this alone.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there

You are at the right place to get advice and support!

What worked for me is going to an alcohol counseller and you can always check out AA, they have meetings on most days i think and can defo give you something to do at night! All i can say is I am 37 now and just doing something about it and your post defo sounds like one i would have made almost ten years ago, I can even imagine myself in the place i was living in London posting it!

Hope you carry on along this route and get help for yourself so you so not waste as much of your life as i did trying to fight it by myself.

Cliff
Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I quit for a few months about 2 years ago. Never been to any meetings or sought any help.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
sct

We forgot what it was like
before we started using; we forgot about social graces. We acquired strange
habits and mannerisms. We forgot how to work; we forgot how to play;
we forgot how to express ourselves and how to show concern for others.
We forgot how to feel.
Something like that?

You're right where you need to be. Welcome home.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

There will be a recovery meeting here in about 30 minutes in chat room. It is not related to AA or any other 12 step program....but anyone can attend. It is open to all seeking recovery. Afterward some people hang around and talk for awhile.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sct View Post
Something like that?

You're right where you need to be. Welcome home.
Yes exactly that!!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 01-02-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hi Stick around.. this is a great place to find friends (you don't have to actually be around any of us! bonus! lol), to read great stories, and to get support when you need it. Maybe even a few virtual hugs or kicks in the a$$.

Nice to "meet" you! I'm on day 16 of many attempts, and I could not have made it without my friends here.. lets do this!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Read and post as much as you need. Glad you found the site!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi plah - good for you, you've recognized that your life was abnormal and going nowhere. At 28 I still had many, many years of toxic drinking ahead of me. I almost destroyed myself trying to control it & make it be fun again, the way it once was. I stunted my own growth with it, didn't change or mature the way I should have. I started drinking at 20 also - and in the beginning I'd get a hangover with 2 drinks. In the end, round-the-clock drinking didn't do a thing for me, but I kept trying for that numb feeling I sought. In the end, I was just insane from it. This never has to be you! Please stay with us - you've found a wonderful place that helped me get sober almost a year ago.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR. This is a good place to hang around, especially in the early days.

I'm proud of you for facing this in your youth...I surely wish I had.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

AA can be a great help in learning new habits, new ways of thinking. I also go to an addiction counselor and that's a lot of help. Come here often. We want to help you live a new and better sober life. It's hard at first, and it takes a lot of effort, but it's so worth the effort. Welcome!:ghug3