Notices

Worrying

Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Worrying

I have always been a bad worrier, but this worrying thing lately has really made me delusional and paranoid. Lots of things in my past have seemed to haunt me today, and even more so since I have been sober for 23 days. Yesterday was horrible. I used to just look forward to using substance and then I could forget anything and everything. I know I don't have that option today.

The "ego" thing that many recovering addicts and alcoholics have spoken about is starting to make more sense, now that I am living in recovery. I am just starting to see how the ego has alot to do with my worrying. Past other addictions and all around unhealthy behavior has made me worry lately about what others think of me. Even if certain things happened like 10 years ago. This seems to coincide with me not living in the present. Then I beat myself up for this behavior and think I am a really bad person. Guilt and shame.

It's not all about me! But it's hard to remember that when I worry, then get paranoid about this person telling this person and so on. Some days, my rational side doesn't even factor in, and this horribly negative view of myself takes over, ruining my day.

I still have much progress to make.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Progress is slow and hard. Breathe!

You're okay, you haven't picked up, and you are here!

That ego kicks all of our butts every now and again....
Old 12-31-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I went through that too and it's not fun.

It is a learning and growing experience, and you'll get through it.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is not a quick fix...but...for me....

Once I began working my AA Steps
my new fantastic life started to unfold...

All my past issues were dealth with ..one after another.

Well done on your progress..
Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi James,
I remember clearly my first day in a treatment program, now three years ago. The topic was about guilt and shame, and the difference between the two. She instructed us how destructive to our mindset, and our recovery, the burden of shame and regret and guilt can be. How it's important we clarify for ourselves what was, what is, and what we're striving to accomplish. To remain bogged down in shame and regrets doesn't contribute to anything other than keeping us stuck in our own negative thinking.

She did explain that guilt isn't necessarily a bad thing, that to feel guilt can actually benefit us, so long as we recognize what we feel guilty about and then decide to do better in the future, perhaps also do what we can to alleviate the guilt of the past by making amends to those we may have harmed.

Most of all James, I encourage you to focus on the present, what you want to achieve for yourself and the way you live today. Let worries about past regrets be in the past. The future will take care of itself. What you can control is what you choose to do today.

Or, at least, that's how it appears to work to me. I'm still learning too. Wishing you well.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

Thanks for the encouraging words, guys. I know I have to stop living by other people's standards.