Notices

New Years Plans-and how will you stay sober?

Old 12-30-2008, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jh1

New Years Plans-and how will you stay sober?

well im most likely going into the eye of the beast on new years. I haven't been out with my bros since I've decided to stay sober (12/10/08), just didn't want to risk it. But I haven't seen any of them for a month or so and am going to meet up with quite a few of em' new years day and have already talked to a few who are obviously going to get LIT up because thats what my friends do on weekends/holidays. There will be a lot of people drinking, and ill prob be the only one not-no i def will be the only one not! and i know this but already mentioned to one that i am going to bring in the new year sober...that was a big step, and im also really want to prove to all my friends (tho they might not remember, ha) that Im serious and that ive changed and im not going to go get blacked out and take shot after shot after shot. I know ill get tons of offers and people will be like "c'mon wtf why aren't you drinking, its new years!" and "just take a shot bro", etc. you all know the peer pressure, but Im actually pretty set and ive noticed ive become stubborn. Like if they ask more and more the more louder im going to say NO. Anyways, if I can do this it will be a HUGE step. I could prob just stay home, but i need to get out and Im going to get tested socially sooner or later. What are all of your plans? Going to avoid going out? I hope you all stay to your guns and don't give up the hard work for a night we won't remember anyways,ha. GL to all, hope you bring in the new year safe and sober. Here's to a very Optimistic and positive 2009!
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~miss nikky~

im terrified of tommorrow night
going to stay safe with people who will not pressure me to do anything
keeping my butt in the rooms an the function associated with the rooms
dont want to but i will anyway cos i know the wreckage adiction brings to my life an i know i cannot just do one shot one drink one anything & im not willing to give up my hard work of the last 111 days for one shot over new years eve
wish i could just go tosleep an wake up new years day to be honest.
cant though so may as well make the best of it.
heres hoping to my ikky mood over this passing real soon
best of luck to you
Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

I'm not sure yet but I plan on starting the New Year out on the right foot

Hope everyone has a happy healthy time
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On the road of happy destiny

New Years has never been a real happy holiday for me (ex had a habit of cheating around this time for some reason) so I'm actually really looking forward to it this year. It'll be just me and my gorgeous little girl and we'll probably watch The Wizard of Oz and be in bed by 9pm. I do have some noisemakers, though, LOL!

I'll be thinking of everyone facing challenges and sending you strength though.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, New Year's Eve represents a time to collect my thoughts. It's a time to be grateful for what I have and to focus on where I am going on this journey.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Moving out of Limbo

My GF is chairing a meeting on New Years eve, and I will be there. I'm really proud of her, and can't think of a better way to spend my NY's eve.

I am also proud of her because she is 2 years sober today. Will be there tonight when she gets her chip.

I am thankful for this today.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stupid newbie

I'm having a huge party at my house and have a sober buddy helping me organize the evening. I'm not anticipating any problem whatsoever. HURRAH!!!!

And gee -- this time I'm gonna remember the damn party! WooHoo!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm going to a AA workshop. Dinner, speakers, dancing, fun. And an all night Alcothon. I can't wait. I won't be drinking this New Years. I drank last New years and lost 100 days of sobriety.

Good luck to all the newbies and just don't pick up that first drink.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm with ya, Scaredy - same here. I didn't even begin to come out of the fog until well after New Year's Eve. As Nikky said, she's terrified - me too - and I'm using that terror to remind myself of what I went through, and how I almost didn't make it back that last time.

jh1, in my opinion, we can't hide from it - it'll always be around us, and living in a resort town - I can't go anywhere without a bar or nightclub beckoning to me. I know others advise staying away from temptation at all cost. It's something we have to work out for ourselves. In the beginning I was filled with resentment that I couldn't party along with the rest. Those feelings have left me, finally. I'll be out there, but memories of last year are fresh in my mind. Thanks for asking! You'll feel stronger after the night is over and you make it through without caving.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'll be taking my daughter and two nieces to a sober dance held by AA. I'm a better mother and aunt when I don't drink, and this helps me to stay on the straight-and-narrow.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I've got custody of my kids Wed. night, so we've invited a friend and his kids over, and my fiance might invite a few friends too. The other day I had a craving for a good hot dog, so for food on New Years Eve we'll roast them over an outdoor fire.

For activities we'll set up a basketball net, telescopes for stargazing, watch movies, and ring in the New Year at midnight.

Oh, and I won't vomit or blackout before midnight. Sounds like a great way to spend the evening!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can't remember the last time I went out on New Years Eve. We have always rung in the year at home and we will do the same this year sans alcohol. Bought a bunch of appetizers and plenty of soda and cranberry juice and I will have the tv tuned to New York's famous ball drop. I am from New York and so I have always greeted the New Year through New York's time zone. Doesn't matter where I've lived I have always done this. Its 2 hours earlier then our time here, but that's good because my 6 year old can stay up and watch it this year. It will be his first time!

Old 12-30-2008, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

New Years Eve 2004: Thought I could go out and get drunk for the night – 3 day out of control blackout/bender, no shower, dirty, ended up in some very dangerous situations. Woke up in hell.

New Years Eve 2005: Thought I could go out and get drunk for the night – 3 day out of control blackout/bender, no shower, dirty, ended up in some very dangerous situations. Woke up in hell.

New Years Eve 2006: Went to the city with my wife and kids. Shopping, hockey game, a good meal, and movies in the hotel room. Woke up the next day feeling awesome – happy and at peace.

New Years Eve 2007: Went to the city with my wife and kids. Shopping, hockey game, a good meal, and movies in the hotel room. Woke up the next day feeling awesome – happy and at peace.

Guess what I’m doing this year?

Just some thoughts to keep with you: We are different people now. We don't drink or use drugs. Most people don't get hammered on New Years Eve. Many just go to bed. Really, you are not missing out on anything. There are many ways to ring in the New Year but keep in mind - it's just another day.

Imagine starting 2009 happy and at peace...

Stay safe everyone.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Going to a meeting and will be on call if needed for a 12 step or anything.
That's fine because so many NYEs were just a continuation of my daily drinking; Christmas could last six months for me!!!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm not entirely sure yet. I do know this. I will either be in the company of my AA family or I will be at home with hubby. Either way I will wake up Jan 1, 2009 the same way; gratefully sober!
Old 12-30-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Sober Party..a lot of food and fellowship..big meeting in the round around 10:30 ish..

quick warm hugs at the countdown at midnight..we watch it on TV.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've never been one to go out on New Years and I'm actually looking forward to a quiet evening, just me, Hubby and Kids. We will probably play Dominoes, Guitar Hero, and listen to music =)

I already have a new Journal and plan on making some plans for next year. NOT resolutions, I HATE those, but things I'd like to do like for example learn to roller blade =)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

going to a meeting, then dinner, then watch teh fireworks in teh city with friends and then home.

Happy New year everyone
Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

well my husband just invited me to spend the night with him. We've been separated for two months and things have improved alot between us so I'm thinking about it. Both the kids have plans and won't be home.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
What comes around, Goes around

I have to work new years eve but not too late--then I am going home to relax and do nothing--New Years Day is my birthday--I dont have to work so I will veg out on new years day.Just relaxing are my plans.